Best Drill Writer

Best Drill Writer  

450 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favorite drill writer?

• Jay Murphy (Blue Devils 2007)
    • Jeff Sacktig (The Cadets 2007)
    • Michael Gaines (The Cavaliers 2007)
    • Jamey Thompson (Phantom Regiment 2007)
    • Pete Weber (Santa Clara Vanguard 2007)
    • Leon May (Carolina Crown 2007)
    • Mitch Rogers (Bluecoats 2007)
    • Rob Billings (Blue Knights 2007)
    • Brian Murphy (Boston Crusaders 2007)
    • Jeremy Hunt (Colts 2007)
    • Alan Mueggenborg (Glassmen 2007)
    • Chad Hannah and Randy Nelson (Spirit from JSU 2007)

not an option to vote, but whoever wrote the Troopers drill should get a shout out! because that was some equally impressive writing IMO. As far as this list, Jeff Sacktig hands down!! also Pete Weber....now if only SCV could clean his amazing drill than you might see them back in the top 2. :worthy:

Troopers would be Mitch Rogers

• 3 weeks later...

While I believe Pete Weber will eventually be the "next big thing", he's not Michael Gaines. Weber has some innovative things going on and improves every year, but Michael Gaines is still the standard that everyone else is held to. Pete Weber writes the way he does BECAUSE of Michael Gaines. Also, Gaines' guard staging and integration is in another league. I'd say only Jay Murphy is in his league in that aspect. Pete Weber still has to develop in that area. This is something most fans and young designers do not pay enough attention to.

It's amazing how people become "stale" in other's opinions. A few years ago people said that Jeff Sacktig had gotten stale (although I think he rejuvenated himself this year) and Michael Gaines was the new big name. Now he win's a few titles and people are tired of him and the Cavaliers? Just sit back and enjoy it while he's still writing and at the top of his game.

Never ceases to amaze me.....

Edited by izzyd

It's amazing how people become "stale" in other's opinions. A few years ago people said that Jeff Sacktig had gotten stale (although I think he rejuvenated himself this year) and Michael Gaines was the new big name. Now he win's a few titles and people are tired of him and the Cavaliers? Just sit back and enjoy it while he's still writing and at the top of his game.

Never ceases to amaze me.....

Thing is, I don't believe he is at the top of his game anymore.

Let's see this season. While 2007 was just ok compared to what he's done before, 2006 was groundbreaking in so many ways.

Even if this wasn't his best, it was still the best out there this year, with Sacktig a pretty close second.

And yes, Sylvester wrote for the Cadets from 1989 to 1994, then again in 2002. Jeff Sacktig did 1995 to 2001, and 2003 to the present. 2002 was the year Sacktig was at Magic.

Edited by izzyd

Let's see this season. While 2007 was just ok compared to what he's done before, 2006 was groundbreaking in so many ways.

Was it?

To me 2006 was more of the same visual gimmicks done in different ways. Effective? Yes. Groundbreaking? Not in my opinion.

Was it?

To me 2006 was more of the same visual gimmicks done in different ways. Effective? Yes. Groundbreaking? Not in my opinion.

But better than anything else out there? Absolutely. There were things going on that have not happened before. That's innovation.

I think Pete Weber, Gaines, Saktig, Rodgers, Murphy, Rosander are the

great ones of this decade...but back in 91-92, there was a guy named Jeff Shulz

who wrote for Madison. Actually, he wrote from 89-92.

His first couple drills were decent, but 92 was awesome. I'm sad he didn't stick

around because I believe he would have been brilliant. He became a Art Gallery

Curator and then went on to a career in Software Engineering (I think) and he

wrote articles for Wired magazine. I saw that he breily came back to the

Drum Corps activity a couple years ago...worked with Blue Devils Visual team.

how anyone could even consider jamey thompson is beyond me. That's why he's not even there anymore.

this is purely between Gaines and Weber (and maybe a little Sacktig) and Gaines wins.