John Bodnar

Jimmy Donnelly

Mitch Markovitch

Al Merritt

Jimmy Dugan

Tommy Mannion

Billy Nichols

Rich Nardelli

... see if you can guees the corps they played with ...

Andy

no clue

Edited by donincardona

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's some more of my favorite snares through the years:

Gary Pagnozzi

Jim Hurley

Jim O'Hara

Joe Gannon

John Bodnar

Jimmy Donnelly

Mitch Markovitch

Al Merritt

Jimmy Dugan

Tommy Mannion

Billy Nichols

Rich Nardelli

... see if you can guees the corps they played with ...

Andy

Bodnar -> Hurcs

Dugan -> Hurcs?

Markovitch -> Skokie?

oooooo.......larry darch. let me think...........he didn't play well, mcgrath was the ramrod. i loved larry but i don't know about that. he didn't write for us........vick cionetti did. i'll defer that to storky. the other guys are cool

Larry is an ALL STAR being an early DCI and long-time DCA and NYSAA judge as well as perennial MSJ and MSJ Alumni ,etc. As far as CRU goes....he did give me alot of rides to practice in the 70's.

Are we talking about the Normy Muck of Hamburg and MSJ Alumni fame? Didn't know he ever played with CRU.

Don't think I've ever heard John Hathaway actually play although he's been very active with many corps and bands thru the years. Again, didn't know he ever played with CRU. I must have missed that (those) year(s).

Larry is an ALL STAR being an early DCI and long-time DCA and NYSAA judge as well as perennial MSJ and MSJ Alumni ,etc. As far as CRU goes....he did give me alot of rides to practice in the 70's.

Are we talking about the Normy Muck of Hamburg and MSJ Alumni fame? Didn't know he ever played with CRU.

Don't think I've ever heard John Hathaway actually play although he's been very active with many corps and bands thru the years. Again, didn't know he ever played with CRU. I must have missed that (those) year(s).

They didn't march Cru but this is an ALL-STAR thread.

Norm was with Hamburg as was Hathaway. I also think John was with Commanders as well. Hathaway taught the Lakeview Shoreliners and then came to the Royal Coachmen where he became the Corps director.

Glen Conklin outplayed the Phoenix guys as a kid, including Billy McGrath at times.

Man, we all talking some OLD all stars here on this thread...most of them would need wheelchairs. However Darch and Normie are still playing with St. Joes Alumni.

Donny

Glen Conklin outplayed the Phoenix guys as a kid, including Billy McGrath at times.

Man, we all talking some OLD all stars here on this thread...most of them would need wheelchairs. However Darch and Normie are still playing with St. Joes Alumni.

Donny

ya gotta love darch..........a really great guy.

I believe Mitch Markovitch was the National Individuals Snare Champion from the Chicago Cavaliers early 60's. This cat was so good, I think they named the trophy after him.

And even though he played tenor drum with the Sunrisers guys, don't you EVER leave out Billy Cobham.

Heh heh....let the hell fly now...............

Edited by gsksun4

I believe Mitch Markovitch was the National Individuals Snare Champion from the Chicago Cavaliers early 60's. This cat was so good, I think they named the trophy after him.

And even though he played tenor drum with the Sunrisers guys, don't you EVER leave out Billy Cobham.

Heh heh....let the hell fly now...............

Mitch won the VFW title in 60-61-62 when he played with the Cavaliers ... Gary Pagnozzi won the VFW title in 64-65-66 when he was with the Bpt PAL ... it would have been the battle of the titans if they would have ever met in competition ...

Billy Cobham was a great friend of the PAL when he was in the Sunrisers ... wrote several charts for us in 67 and I had the pleasure of working with him through his interpretations ... he was still a music student at the time but, you could tell he was reaching for sounds far beyond drum corps of that era ...

Any takers on the rst of the names? Yes, Bodnar was with the Hurcs ... started in St. Ann's and then went to the CT Royal Lancers ... Jim Dugan was also with the Hurcs and the CT Yankees ...

Any takers on the rest of the names? (Not you Ace ... you know them all ... LOL)

Andy

1969 Sunrisers:

Three future Hall of Famers, all in the corps' lead soprano line that season.....

Frank Dorritie, John Arietano, and Wayne Downey.

Fran

I don't remember all the names, but I would put the 1983 Sunrisers' snare line up against any snare line, at any level of the drum corps activity, ever.

Of all the great Sunriser drumlines of the late 1970's and early 1980's, that 1983 line stands out, IMO.... especially the snare line, which had no ticks at DCA Finals that season, during the "tick system" era.

Dave China, Larry Visconti and the rest of 'em..... great players. Perhaps Larry can fill us in on the rest of the names from that '83 line!

Fran