Most Exciting show you have ever seen?

Wow! Way too many shows to sort through, but, if you're going to pin me to one corps and one show that I personally witnessed, it would have to be the '74 Muchachos at DCI Finals. They were one of only two Eastern representatives to make finals, and a lot of the corps who didn't make it were in the back side stands. They were hyping all through Hawthorne's warmups, and when the kids turned around to face the field, they seemed to have "the look" of a corps with something to prove. In a way, I think they did. In 1973, they were the darlings of the East, only to get smacked down in Whitewater, and their prelims performance in 1974 left them on the apparent outside of the top 6.

Quirky Honorable Mention - 1976 Kilties at DCI Midwest Prelims in Whitewater. I know, this corps was on a treadmill to nowhere. But, on that day, they were solid in their opener and in Holy John. Then, "Fat Tom" Meredith tore it up in concert and got the fans out of their seats, and they stayed standing and cheering through "Don't You Worry "Bout a Thing" and Syne. Just as Hawthorne, it was a case of the corps feeding off the fans and giving the intensity right back at them. It was one of the coolest performances I ever saw, and most people don't know about it.

I have almost identical feelings about these two shows. As a member of the Commodores in 1974 I was unfortunate to miss finals by two placements but very fortunate to be in the audience that memorable night, on the concert side to boot! The Muchachoes performance that night was absolutely electric, no doubt spurred on by the love thrown their way by the "Hometown" audience. Although the top 4 corps were all great that night, my memory of the Muchachoes performance has stayed intact over the last 33 years while the others have faded somewhat.

My recollection of the Kilties at DCI Midwest prelims is identical as well with one exception. Mine is from 1975 instead of 1976. This was my first time seeing the Kilties that year and I caught their prelim performance from concert to the end of their show from the back sideline as we (Vanguard) prepared to go on after them. Tom Meredith's solo's in "Roll over Beethovin and Don't you worry 'bout a thing" were incredible. His sound alone filled the stadium and was bouncing off the stands, and when the baritones played the beginning of that great Stevie Wonder tune and turned backfield and came our way, it made the hair on the back of my neck stand up... A great arrangement performed by a great, one of a kind drum corps.

I'd be remiss if I didn't also mention the 1974 Kingsmen at DCI finals as the most intense drum corps performance that I have ever witnessed.

Edited by Russellrks

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The first show that absolutely blew me away was 1969 VFW Nationals in Philly - I think it was called RFK Stadium.

The Kilties coming out of concert with Chattanooga Choo Choo with the Big Train Wedge - what a sound.

A close second for me was Madison @ the Big V-1974 in Milwaukee.

God Bless the Child has to be the best "concert" they ever played.

It was so good I decided right then to quit my job and move to Madison so I could be part of "that sound" the following year.

Edited by bass5

The first show that absolutely blew me away was 1969 VFW Nationals in Philly - I think it was called RFK Stadium.

The Kilties coming out of concert with Chattanooga Choo Choo with the Big Train Wedge - what a sound.

A close second for me was Madison @ the Big V-1974 in Milwaukee.

God Bless the Child has to be the best "concert" they ever played.

It was so good I decided right then to quit my job and move to Madison so I could be part of "that sound" the following year.

RFK is in D.C. (home sweet home)

You might be thinking of The Vet.

The old football stadium in Philly, where the Eagles played before the Vet, was called JFK stadium. It was also the default venue for the American leg of Live Aid in 1985.

I glad you did bro!. :)

Why don't we go back to pre DCI!

Boston Crusaders 1967, I believe they went 31 and 2 that year. Great show, and introduce Anthony Smith on the double bass, which changed the sound of drum corps.

SKEK in 1963 with the great sound of Voice of the Guns off the line.

1964 Troopers who surprised everyone with the "sunburst" at the World Open. Invited back at night to put on an exhibition at the finals at Hedges Stadium in Bridgeport, Conn.

1970 Boston Crusaders at the tail end of the season when they put it all together at the VFW at Miami!!!

Racine Kilties in 1964 as they floated across Mun. Stad in Cleveland to land the VFW.

The great Royal Airs in 1965 who won the CYO, VFW, and AL What a horn line and did not use Contra Bass, but what a sound!!!

Chicago in 1961 to go undefeated. The foundation of drum corps to build on for future years.

Maybe someone else from the pre DCI years could name some more of the great corps.

CODI

Detroit VFW finals 1968....Racine Kilties coming off the field playing Auld Lang Syne...I had tears in my eyes...then I started to wonder What have I got myself into? 39 years later I still wonder.

he's thinking of JFK Stadium Across from the Spectrum...VFW's in 69 were prior to the Vet. And the Eagles played in Franklin Field which of course is a venue well known to us Drum Corps People.

Edited by Bucbari

I glad you did bro!. :)

Awe Roark, that deserves a beer.

Are you coming down for the reunion in Nov ??

Mike