No Love for JAZZ ?

Okay, so while this iis my first year in the DCI subculture, (i know a lot of you have just stopped reading LOL ) I can totally understand this. The medium lends itself to Jazz much more. I mean, I love when the hornline blasts, but there were few who actually preformed that way this season. The closest I remeember is Bluecoats program. But yeah, I can definatly see enjoying getting my face blown off in a high energy jazz program.

Welcome aboard.....

Just to be clear......jazz does NOT only have to be LOUD and IN YOUR FACE. Madison has done some great things with jazz (Medium tempo) that isnt a face peeler......

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

didnt academy play a swing piece this year?

They did......and that piece received the most crowd interaction (Applause). A lot a times I can't help thinking that corps who put a small piece of jazz in their show are doing it for scoring reasons.

Hey judges.....look at the vast amount of styles we can present and how smoothly we transition in and out of them..... <**>

Edited by Triple Forte

I think the Blue Devils show was actually considered Jazz. We can tell however, that it's not a very jazzy arrangement.

I miss those Madison shows featuring Ballet in Brass, and Lupon, and other great jazzy tunes.

IMHO...the music was too dark (Most of the time) and bits and pieces to qualify as a Jazz show. I must admit.....there is no other corps that I would like see present jazz again.

Madison....they can do anything and make it ring

Crossmen....with their newer director and direction....cant see them going back to jazz anytime soon

Bluecoats....same as Crossmen

backfield while emo kid talked, so it wasn't the focus of attention, i didn't even notice they were playing it the first time i saw the show, i was too busy thinking "wtf is this kid talking about? oh ####, i just missed blue shades..."

No, that wasn't Blue Shades.

You will not hear jazz anytime soon with the current judging system. It's very difficult to clean and make uniform. It will not help you win! Wouldn't it be awesome if Madison would come out wth an Don Ellis show. Or perhaps a Kenton show. Or maybe a Chase show. Or perhaps a Jerry Hey tribute show!!! YEAH!

backfield while emo kid talked, so it wasn't the focus of attention, i didn't even notice they were playing it the first time i saw the show, i was too busy thinking "wtf is this kid talking about? oh ####, i just missed blue shades..."

Actually, he didn't talk during blue shades.

And it wasn't backfield.

But it's ok, we know you've got some anti-narration agenda to cover.

Back to OP.

Jazz just isn't the current flavor of DCI. A couple years back, modern or completely original music was hip, now it seems the classics and orchestral hits are in. Just give it a couple more years, it'll come back around.

Hey, how come there aren't any disco shows?...