No Love for JAZZ ?

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Drum corps doesn't play Jazz lately. . . but perhaps will again one day. Someone will have to come up with the visual plan that meets today's expectations and then it will be "good" again. Probably have to be more like dance movement than marching. . . moving to musical phrases and rhythms rather than a count structure. . . because commonly accepted jazz idioms like Swing, Dixieland, Bop, Shuffle, etc., do not contain the tempos that generate the motion we've come to expect.

Jazz is music for music's sake. . . drum corps is not solely a musical vehicle. . . so that happy mixture is yet to be discovered in the current incarnation of what constitutes "effect" in modern drum corps.

well put, most definitely.

great job with everything relating to the colts this year. :)

Wow, you have some sad radio where ever you live.

Just tune into KUVO.org on your computer (out of Denver) for real jazz 24-7.

No Kenny G crap - the real thing.

Oh sweet!!! :rock:

I just moved here, Denver, and had trouble finding anything that didn't have that same montonous sound...oh yea, you know ^0^

Thanks so much!!

We need to get a multi corps reunion going of all the people who have migrated to Denver.... B)

We can burn an effigy of Kenny G. in the parking lot... :rock:

Wasn't me. . . haven't been there in almost a decade. . .

oh sorry about that, i thought you wrote the brass book this year, my apologies.

We can burn an effigy of Kenny G. in the parking lot... :rock:

Heck, even though I still live in SoCal, I'd fly out to attend that event... :P

Can't please em' all.

Sorry for jumping in to this thread late, but...

The problem with corps trying to do jazz now is - in no particular order:

- OVERWRITTEN percussion parts.

- The extinction of the snare drum (are these things now days really snare drums?)

- The short life span of the ensemble - these DCI corps are thrown together for one year, max. They can't develop a "feel" for each other. They spend all summer trying to "line up" their show. So they choose shows they can "line up."

- The kind of kid who can do a junior corps season... these kids aren't exactly the same kind of cats who were signing up for BD, or Bayonne, or Madison, or Garfield in the 70's. ( Yes kids, Garfield was bad a## back in the day).

- The lack of adaptable material. When I was junior age we could actually SEE ( LIVE) Maynard, Buddy Rich, Woody Herman, Don Ellis, Chuck Mangione (with Gadd), Bill Watrous, etc. A lot of these guys would go on tour every year. When Buddy Rich or Stan Kenton came out with a new album, we just knew BD was going to do THIS tune, or the Hawthorne Cabs would do THAT tune, etc.

I too am concerned with the type of musician all corps are getting these days. Contrary to popular belief on this board, the quality level of the individual musician is declining. I think the true musicians, (Jeff Kivet, Harpo Blum, Chris Metzger, Dave Coolidge, Sean Owens, Edwin Bogart, Albert Dijikshroom, Chezirino, Morgan Larson, Scotty from Devils fame 93' Schipper)true players want nothing to do with the "music" most corps do these days. I only put up soprano musicians but the same holds true for all sections. If I were of age now adays, I would opt to go to Brevard, Blue Lake or just practice on my scales at home.etc...

You just don't hear the near virutuosic stuff coming from brass lines anymore. Think back to 83. Madison. Listen to the cadenza in Strawberry Soup. Listen to the line Rich Labrizzi plays before Sean wails on the most orgasmic riff I've ever heard.

Again most people on this board always rant about how hard stuff is now. I say bullcrap. The stuff most corps did in those days had more independent lines. That's more responsibility on the individual corps member then the block scoring you here now.

Discuss.

I too am concerned with the type of musician all corps are getting these days. Contrary to popular belief on this board, the quality level of the individual musician is declining. I think the true musicians, (Jeff Kivet, Harpo Blum, Chris Metzger, Dave Coolidge, Sean Owens, Edwin Bogart, Albert Dijikshroom, Chezirino, Morgan Larson, Scotty from Devils fame 93' Schipper)true players want nothing to do with the "music" most corps do these days. I only put up soprano musicians but the same holds true for all sections. If I were of age now adays, I would opt to go to Brevard, Blue Lake or just practice on my scales at home.etc...

You just don't hear the near virutuosic stuff coming from brass lines anymore. Think back to 83. Madison. Listen to the cadenza in Strawberry Soup. Listen to the line Rich Labrizzi plays before Sean wails on the most orgasmic riff I've ever heard.

Again most people on this board always rant about how hard stuff is now. I say bullcrap. The stuff most corps did in those days had more independent lines. That's more responsibility on the individual corps member then the block scoring you here now.

Discuss.

That's an interesting point. I haven't been around the corps members up close enough to hear how good the are individually for a long time. I have just been hearing that the majority of these kids are college music students, and I just assumed that they would overall be better musicians than years ago. I couldn't play for #### when I made the Cavies sop line( I was 13 or 14 at the time). When I tried out for BD, I was WAY out of my league. The only reason I made it was because I could march well (and I think they actually had a spot they needed to fill). I got good in drum corps (well, in BD), I didn't come to drum corps good. But you have a different take, interesting. It seems the arrangements are much easier, less exposed, and way less "virtuosic", as you say. I thought that the reason must be that that's what the judges want now. I wonder...