today's USA Today

I was in a military band for 4 years, and we were around lots of noise all day every day. I remember when I checked into my band, I got fitted for special earplugs. I was told that it was because it was mandatory. Evidently, actually getting those earplugs wasn't mandatory because neither I nor anybody else in any other band that I know of ever actually got them. I don't think I suffered any hearing loss, but I know lots of people who did.

Anyway, moral of the story: wear earplugs whenever possible and turn down the car stereos.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have perfect hearing, and after 9 years of marching band, and 2 years of playing in a corps, and years of listening I can still hear a train going by just like everyone else. I'm just glad they turned down the volume of the train whistle, that used to hurt my ears...

I would think that the ears in greatest jeopardy would be those of the percussionists and those at the other end of the bells (instructional staff) in indoor rehearsal settings.

I would think that the ears in greatest jeopardy would be those of the percussionists and those at the other end of the bells (instructional staff) in indoor rehearsal settings.

And add the horn players when full corps practice is done indoors.

I had a handful of disposable ear plugs in my horn case for just such occasions.

And add the horn players when full corps practice is done indoors.

I had a handful of disposable ear plugs in my horn case for just such occasions.

Toilet paper works wonders if you're rehearsing indoors.

I had earplugs on tour (I was in the hornline), but the only time I used them were on the bus to muffle the hacking (I was on the drum bus) and the bus driver's bad singing.