BIG RICHARD?

:laughing: ... read my last post Duke ... :tongue:

OK, so it took me awhile to catch up after DCA Championships. The weekend was great but I probably won't be the same for a month. Wouldn't you know it, I missed giving replies about people I know.

I was in the Crusaders when they had an all girl color guard. When Vince decided he wanted to compete in Nationals, the gals were replaced by guys . Made it easier to compete under the 80-20 rules existing back in those days. Ticked me off, so I got married and moved to Philadelphia. I ran into Les Johnson and Joe Rizzo at St. Joe's show in Rochester this year. Realized that I hadn't seen them for over 30 years yet in this crazy "hobby", it was just as if we did a show together last week. Gotta' love it.

Would the last person leaving the Stte Street Bar & Grill please turn off the lights.

Carol, you're a HOOT... lol

Vince indeed ticked off a lot of people when he made the decision to no longer be a senior corps with a female color guard... that was 1959 right? It was the right decision based on his long termed (and successful) plan to wrestle the legion national title away from Hawthorne, but it was a WRONG decision for drum corps...

That created the decade of the 60's when those bus trips became very lonely and all male corps reigned... Credit to Diplomates and Sunrisers for fighting this trend in the later 60's and creating the corps we have today... I believe that the return to sexually mixed corps was critical to the survival of the activity. It made corps a much more socially enjoyable opportunity... and since only one corps can WIN each contest, recruiting depended far more on socializing than on winning.

And you're absolutely right about running into people that you marched with 30 or even 40 years ago and having it be like you've known them all their lives...

Nope ... but, Lorne Greene sang a song about his nickname ... c'mon ... think a little Duke ... "BIG ______" ...

:-)

Big Ringo? :laughing:

I thought it was Big John??

I'm shooting a blank here. Age makes you do that once in a while.

Okay ... guess no one wants to do good old google sleuth work on this one ...

BIG JOHN HARRIS

is his name ... marched with the Bpt PAL 65-68 and Sky from 69-71 ... then went onto teaching and judging at the DCI and DCA levels ... a gentle giant for sure ...

Okay ... guess no one wants to do good old google sleuth work on this one ...

BIG JOHN HARRIS

is his name ... marched with the Bpt PAL 65-68 and Sky from 69-71 ... then went onto teaching and judging at the DCI and DCA levels ... a gentle giant for sure ...

Andy, did you march with Henry Gumbus at Sky? He was from Selden.

OK, so it took me awhile to catch up after DCA Championships. The weekend was great but I probably won't be the same for a month. Wouldn't you know it, I missed giving replies about people I know.

I was in the Crusaders when they had an all girl color guard. When Vince decided he wanted to compete in Nationals, the gals were replaced by guys . Made it easier to compete under the 80-20 rules existing back in those days. Ticked me off, so I got married and moved to Philadelphia. I ran into Les Johnson and Joe Rizzo at St. Joe's show in Rochester this year. Realized that I hadn't seen them for over 30 years yet in this crazy "hobby", it was just as if we did a show together last week. Gotta' love it.

Would the last person leaving the Stte Street Bar & Grill please turn off the lights.

Hi Carol!

Every year that goes by, it takes me longer and longer to recover from "the drive" and the weekend of DCA finals! But as I am retired... every day is Saturday and there are no more "Mondays"! :laughing: