####, I coulda sworn Whitey (Edward) Ford was number 25.

One of my great memories as a kid was watching "Whitey Ford Day" at the Stadium on WPIX.

Because Whitey didn't close out many of his own games (back then most starters pitched complete games) as they did the honors for Whitey they brought Luis Arroyo (the relief star) around in a convertible Caddy with a "Life Saver" (life preserver) around his head.

Or at least that's how I remember it.

Whitey and the Mick. The legends about those two, huh?

Another pitcher - John Blanchard. Oooh and Ralph Terry - big swooping motion with a high leg lift.

But Bouton so energized me. Later I liked his book too.

:ninja:

Hey Ray - Johnny Blanchard WASN'T a pitcher - he was a catcher by trade. He was the 3rd catcher/pinch hitter/outfielder..Left -handed bat with pop. Primary reason I know this - Blanchard was from Minne. He was one of the first kids from the Minneapolis side of the river to make it to the big leagues. Went to Mpls. Central HS (of course -that's gone now), but Johnny owned a liquor store for many years. Just down the road from the General Mills HQ in Golden Valley. Johnny passed a couple of years ago.

Heck of a ballplayer - heck of a guy as well.

Pat

Hey Ray - Johnny Blanchard WASN'T a pitcher - he was a catcher by trade. He was the 3rd catcher/pinch hitter/outfielder..Left -handed bat with pop. Primary reason I know this - Blanchard was from Minne. He was one of the first kids from the Minneapolis side of the river to make it to the big leagues. Went to Mpls. Central HS (of course -that's gone now), but Johnny owned a liquor store for many years. Just down the road from the General Mills HQ in Golden Valley. Johnny passed a couple of years ago.

Heck of a ballplayer - heck of a guy as well.

Pat

Oh man - you're right of course - as soon as I read your description I knew it. Probably be weird to back up two hall of famers, huh?

Wonder who I was thinking about... guess I'll never know - I have a mental image of a big guy throwing right handed but can't fill in the blank...

Age....

Wow..I never realized all youse guys were such baseball aficionados...Here I only thuoght you were just drum corps geeks! Here's a good question for all the New Yawk baseball fans....Who is the only person to wear all four New York uniforms?

In staying true to this thread...the question is posed with the prompt...GUESS WHO?

A shot in the dark here - Casey Stengel? Can't think about anybody else that was around long enough to wear all four NY uniforms. If it ain't Casey, I'm sure I'll do a :doh: when I find out..

Pat

I would've said Leo the Lip, but I CAN'T believe he ever wore the pinstripes.

Edited by goalieguy

A shot in the dark here - Casey Stengel? Can't think about anybody else that was around long enough to wear all four NY uniforms. If it ain't Casey, I'm sure I'll do a :doh: when I find out..

Pat

I would've said Leo the Lip, but I CAN'T believe he ever wore the pinstripes.

You guys are good.....Casey it is!.......played for the Giants, managed the Dodgers, Yankees and Mets.

Ok, I have one a bit tougher......Who is the only Yankee to wear both #3 and #7? .........Guess Who?

AJL...if you can get this one right away, don't ever talk to me again!

• Like 1

>>You guys are good.....Casey it is!.......played for the Giants, managed the Dodgers, Yankees and Mets.<<

The San Francisco Giants and LA Dodgers used to play in NY and as such Casey Stengel (Charles Dillon "Casey" Stengel) who was nicknamed "The Old Professor," played for the Brooklyn Dodgers and New York Giants during his playing career, 1912 - 1925. He managed the New York Yankees from 1949-1960 and the New York Mets from 1962-1965

:-)

• Like 1

You guys are good.....Casey it is!.......played for the Giants, managed the Dodgers, Yankees and Mets.

i had no idea. still learning here

>>

Ok, I have one a bit tougher......Who is the only Yankee to wear both #3 and #7? .........Guess Who?

<<

Cliff Mapes

(turning off mic)

>>

<<

Cliff Mapes

(turning off mic)

Don't ever talk to me again!