>>By the time I was a Yankees' fan (late 50s, early 60s, after the Dodgers left, it was WPIX Channel 11.
I know my NY baseball!
"This is Phil Rizzuto for the Money Store"
Skowron 14 1b
Richardson 2 2nd base
Kubek 15 SS (or Tresh)
C Boyer 6 3b
Hector Lopez 42 LF
Mantle 7 CF
Maris 9 RF
Berra 8 C; Howard 32 C
Bouton - can't read the number, he keeps falling off the mound when he throws - pitcher.
<<

Yes, yes ... of course WPIX:

WPIX served as the longtime over-the-air television broadcaster of New York Yankees baseball from 1951 to 1998. Most of that time, Phil Rizzuto served as the primary announcer, who with his "Holy Cow!" call, became very popular especially through the 1970s. At various points, WPIX also aired the Major League Baseball New York Giants, the New York Giants of the NFL and New York Jets football teams, the NHL's New York Rangers and local college basketball. But it was through its coverage of Yankees baseball that WPIX gained perhaps its greatest fame and identity.

What I meant to say was that CBS owned the Yankees from 64 through 73 ... I think they televised weekend games ... and Mel's almost famous 2.8 gainer into the stands ...

... and let's not forget the Chairman of the Board ... Whitey Ford #16 ...

:-)

Edited by ajlisko

>>By the time I was a Yankees' fan (late 50s, early 60s, after the Dodgers left, it was WPIX Channel 11.

I know my NY baseball!

Skowron 14 1b

Richardson 2 2nd base

Kubek 15 SS (or Tresh)

C Boyer 6 3b

Hector Lopez 42 LF

Mantle 7 CF

Maris 9 RF

Berra 8 C; Howard 32 C

Bouton - can't read the number, he keeps falling off the mound when he throws - pitcher.

<<

WPIX served as the longtime over-the-air television broadcaster of New York Yankees baseball from 1951 to 1998. Most of that time, Phil Rizzuto served as the primary announcer, who with his "Holy Cow!" call, became very popular especially through the 1970s. At various points, WPIX also aired the Major League Baseball New York Giants, the New York Giants of the NFL and New York Jets football teams, the NHL's New York Rangers and local college basketball. But it was through its coverage of Yankees baseball that WPIX gained perhaps its greatest fame and identity.

What I meant to say was that CBS owned the Yankees from 64 through 73 ... I think they televised weekend games ... and Mel's almost famous 2.8 gainer into the stands ...

####, I coulda sworn Whitey (Edward) Ford was number 25.

One of my great memories as a kid was watching "Whitey Ford Day" at the Stadium on WPIX.

Because Whitey didn't close out many of his own games (back then most starters pitched complete games) as they did the honors for Whitey they brought Luis Arroyo (the relief star) around in a convertible Caddy with a "Life Saver" (life preserver) around his head.

Or at least that's how I remember it.

Whitey and the Mick. The legends about those two, huh?

Another pitcher - John Blanchard. Oooh and Ralph Terry - big swooping motion with a high leg lift.

But Bouton so energized me. Later I liked his book too.

I know my NY baseball!

Skowron 14 1b

Richardson 2 2nd base

Kubek 15 SS (or Tresh)

C Boyer 6 3b

Hector Lopez 42 LF

Mantle 7 CF

Maris 9 RF

Berra 8 C; Howard 32 C

<<

We need to hoist a root beer after the next BHoF thing I can to and talk old-time Yankees and/or NYC baseball in general.

I went to a card show at Southern CT State (paid $35) to stand in line to see Duke Snider.

When I got up there I just said "thanks"

He looked at me sort of weird and said, "yeah, sure, you want me to sign something?"

"Nah, just wanted to say thank you. You helped make my childhood special."

Might have made him nervous...

Always had a Gil Hodges (#14) first baseman's glove my mom got me with S&H Green Stamps.

Even used it in the outfield when I had to play there in a PBC All-Star game (I guess there was a better 1st Basemen)

Couldn't have liked it more if it cost $100 cash.

Don't let's forget Hank Bauer and Enos Slaughter, WWII vets who used to patrol the outfield in the late '50s.

...and daytime baseball! Running home from school to catch the last few innings. Sneaking a transistor radio with mono earphone into the eighth grade classroom to listen to the World Series...

By High School, I had to make that fateful choice between baseball and bugle corps. My tools for the former: good stick and arm. No wheels, and a decent curveball could make me look foolish.

The lip was better.

>>I went to a card show at Southern CT State (paid $35) to stand in line to see Duke Snider.
When I got up there I just said "thanks"<<

Same think happened to me at a Mickey Mantle show in Bridgeport ... though it wasn't $35 and the autographs were free ... HOW ABOUT THAT? ... my daughter nudged me along gently as I was dumbfounded and speechless ... kinda like one of Ralph Kramden's "hummina hummina hummina" moments ... my daughter was 6 ... I think she drove home ...

When you guys are in CT sometime you have to stop over and see my Yankees shri ... er ... collection ...

>>So whom did Ballentine sponsor? The Yankees? Mel Allen? Channel 11?

I get so confused...<<

Mel Allen ... YES ... Yankees ... YES ... Channel 11 ... (maybe) ... CBS Channel 2 in NYC ... YES ...

Mel used to do the "Three Ring Sign" commercials live ... and then he'd pour a nice cold one and drink it on camera ... he was wasted by the 8th inning!!!!! ... many times the bottles used to go over the ledge in the booth and onto the fans below ... one game, he almost fell into the crowd with it!!!!! Totally in line with Lucy's Vitameatavegiman commercial !!!!!

As Mel would say: "HOW ABOUT THAT?????"

Thanks for the history lesson folks. Not living in NJ/NY area I didn't get any NYC stations until I moved and got cable ca 1981. OK, my central PA folks had a big antenna and living on the mountain for it was Philly, Baltimore and a DC station we could pick up. So for me it was Brooks Robinson calling the Bal-mer Or-ils. Then I moved and until the local cable company got big and dropped local stations for specialty channels, got to see WOR and PIX. Yeap, Scooter Rizzuto on PIX with Bill White and who ever did the Mets on WOR. Watched Yanks more cuz I like Scooter and the gangs style and well.... what did Steinbrenner do this time..... :wow:

But... being a hockey fan it was Islanders on PIX and Rangers on WOR. Still a bit of a Rangers fan so happy they are in the Finals but.....

PS - Was it Mel Allen or Red Barber who got fired for talking abount the very low attendance at a last game of the year Yankee game?

Edited by JimF-LowBari

>>PS - Was it Mel Allen or Red Barber who got fired for talking abount the very low attendance at a last game of the year Yankee game?<<

Four Hundred and Thirteen Fans

On September 22,1966 the last place Yankees played a rescheduled game against the White Sox.

Barber told the television audience, "I don't know what the paid attendance is today, but whatever it is, it is the smallest crowd in the history of Yankee Stadium, and this crowd is the story, not the game."

There were 413 paying fans.

Barber asked the cameras to pan the empty stands. The head of Yankees' media relations refused.

Mike Burke Fired Red Barber

A week later, Mike Burke invited Red Barber to breakfast at the Plaza Hotel, where Burke told him that he was relieved of his broadcasting duties.

Edited by ajlisko

That's the game Andy thanks....

And reading Rays Duke Snider story remined me of seeing Ball-mer Colts great Gino Marchetti years back. Forget the cost to get an autograph but was driving by a local mall and saw he was signing within the next hour. Have a bunch of 60s cards in the basement and thought "If I somehow find his card, I'll come back". Danged if I didn't find it in 10 minutes (where is it now?) and went back. Guy ahead of me in line was a dealer and had helmets and footballs. Whole time GM is signing this clod is babbling about Ginos fried Chicken, Colts, etc, etc and GM is quiet. Then I go up with my single card. Gino looks at it and says "My favorite picture, haven't seen this for a while" and all I could do was say "Thank you Mr Marchetti". Sad part is my big memory of the moment was seeing how arthritic GMs (huge ###ed) hands were. He could barely pick up the card to hand it to me and I couldn't figure out if I should offer to pick it up for him and possible offend him.

LOL just remember my sisters experience few years back right after Phillies won the World Series. She was at a Philly area hotel for a concert and was in the bar area waiting for the doors to open up. Place is crowded and an older gentleman is walking around looking all over. Sis and her friends think he is looking for a seat and offer him an empty seat by them. He replies thanks but looking for some friends. They say OK but in the back of their minds it's "#### that voice sounds familiar". As they leave the bar later they overhear "So what room are they showing the World Series Trophy? I don't know but did you see Harry Kalas walking thru the bar earlier?" :doh: Well answered why the voice sounded familar....

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Wow..I never realized all youse guys were such baseball aficionados...Here I only thuoght you were just drum corps geeks! Here's a good question for all the New Yawk baseball fans....Who is the only person to wear all four New York uniforms?

In staying true to this thread...the question is posed with the prompt...GUESS WHO?

>>Here's a good question for all the New Yawk baseball fans....Who is the only person to wear all four New York uniforms?<<

Hmmmm ... I'll have to check with "The Old Professor" ...

• Like 1