I think modern tends to mix itself in whether you're hoping to or not.

It's wicked difficult to live in the past - like those Medieval shows or war recreators.

Takes more work to remember the past than to give way to the present.

So ... just a few added notes ... the past and the present performance wise mixes beautifully ... the BHOF shows have seen competitors from current field corps, alumni from the past, and local HS groups come together and display an array of high caliber performances through the years ... we've even had some impromptu "exhibitions" by various HOFers ... and that is the intangible ... the spontaneous interaction between the performer, the crowd ... and sometimes the MC ... what will be integral to success is the venue in which the show is held ... it must be close knit ... it must be one room with one stage ... and it must have food an libation for the crowd close by ... this mix has proven to have a positive effect on both the performer and fan ... these shows, along with the display of talent, are just plain FUN!

:-)

Edited by ajlisko
  • Like 1

So ... just a few added notes ... ....

FUN!

:-)

A couple of those notes were sharp...

Pull out...

Oh man, I tripped over this recording accidentally - I had almost forgotten how much I loved 1965 Sun!

Deliberto, Buglino, Sasso(s), and whatshisname - the other top soprano?

Bob Murphy on Goldfinger solo if I remember correctly.

They'd laugh at these charts now, but in 1965 on those horns?

"Old MacDonald" still cracks me up, as does Orus Cavnor's (sp?) drum book.

The mellos are (literally) wailing the entire show.

Dinosaur Nirvana - especially if you're an orange and (jet) blue dino.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EMrhG4Cb5o

Edited by rayfallon
  • Like 1

"Whatshisname?"

well let's see... 65 Wayne was still in diapers...

so "Whatshisname" must be

the one and only

Frankie D.

"Whatshisname?"

well let's see... 65 Wayne was still in diapers...

so "Whatshisname" must be

the one and only

Frankie D.

Oh yeah, him...

Wayne would have been 14 or maybe 15.

We grew up competing against each other - he in the Smithtown Freelancers, I in Oceanside.

My brass quartet used to compete against his of himself, Mike Conlon, Nick Yaworski, and Judy Foster (who became the first female brass player in DCA with Sunrisers).

Good times.

• Like 1

Oh yeah, him...

Wayne would have been 14 or maybe 15.

We grew up competing against each other - he in the Smithtown Freelancers, I in Oceanside.

My brass quartet used to compete against his of himself, Mike Conlon, Nick Yaworski, and Judy Foster (who became the first female brass player in DCA with Sunrisers).

Good times.

Judy!!!!

Wow... talk about a Sunriser stalwart. A great lady!!!!

• Like 1

Judy!!!!

Wow... talk about a Sunriser stalwart. A great lady!!!!

Couldn't agree more. I've met some folks that played better, and although she marched better than I I've met folks that marched better, but I don't think I've met anyone with more heart than hers.

She LOVES the activity. LOVED the Sunrisers (probably still does). Absolutely fitting that she broke that line.

We (collectively - Sunrisers, Hurricanes, the bunch of us) have had some good times over the pas 50 years.

• Like 1

sorry, had to censor my last [i.e. this] post...

I shouldn't be allowed to click on any other links on DCP...

I'm too old to read this stuff...

makes me homicidal.

Edited by rayfallon

I have to say: 1965 belonged to the Fabulous Crusaders. They were absolutely off the hook.

I really dug playing in Sun's sop section, though. The (West Side Story) Quintet was probably the most challenging chart I ever struggled through. (John Sasso once told me that he thought he had written a much too difficult arrangement. I replied that his raising of the bar had set the stage for our eventual future success.)

Paul Stewart (ex-St. Catherine's) and Joe Coppola were the other two in my "squad". At the end of that tune, Paul always nailed the high "A", effortlessly it seemed. Joe was an octave below and I had the "E". That open sound is forever seared into my brain from one night in the Jamaica Armory, high marking time to Vinnie Ratford's far-out drill.

It all seems like last Friday..

Happy 2015 to all my brothers and sisters.

• Like 1

I have to say: 1965 belonged to the Fabulous Crusaders. They were absolutely off the hook.

I really dug playing in Sun's sop section, though. The (West Side Story) Quintet was probably the most challenging chart I ever struggled through. (John Sasso once told me that he thought he had written a much too difficult arrangement. I replied that his raising of the bar had set the stage for our eventual future success.)

Paul Stewart (ex-St. Catherine's) and Joe Coppola were the other two in my "squad". At the end of that tune, Paul always nailed the high "A", effortlessly it seemed. Joe was an octave below and I had the "E". That open sound is forever seared into my brain from one night in the Jamaica Armory, high marking time to Vinnie Ratford's far-out drill.

It all seems like last Friday..

Happy 2015 to all my brothers and sisters.

Yeah I love the Grey Knight Crusaders from '65 - "Devil at Four (?) O'Clock" (I actually forget what time it was except it was a one syllable hour).

But completely agree with everything else - John may have felt the same about Procession's difficulty but the bar kept raising until some of that crazy stuff sounded easy. Like Ritual for instance.

The concept that the piece was in E Concert or A Major Bugle was off the hook for 1965 - the tuning on those horns well night impossible, but because of the scoring and the guys playing it, that E Major Concert (A Bugle) chord rang clear as a bell. The end of that piece grabbed my 13 year old breath and my imagination - also turned me on to WSS, from which I never looked back.

Not all bad living in prehistoric times - less hip than the Flintstones let on, but cool nonetheless.