Sig,

It is because ...ya know (street cred)...of your "rep" as a Skyliner.

Donny

Sig,

It is because ...ya know (street cred)...of your "rep" as a Skyliner.

Donny

Gee Donny, that's a pretty harsh statement about someone who was going to give you a kidney awhile ago. Ask Mr. Peashey.

Say Nanci isn't this kind of against your admonishment? "Also, any comments made MUST be made in good taste... this is a fun loving thread... not a revenge match. Please spew your venom elsewhere."

Just sayin'. :thumbdown:

Edited by NYSkyliner

What the hell am I missing here????? If you guys ain't gonna play nice you won't be happy 'til you put somebody's eye out......go to yinz rooms......

Somebody didn't have a Happy New year. LOL

Mine was fine. Went to First Night in "Picksburgh", had dinner, saw a rock and roll show starring "Pure Gold". Would have rather seen "Johnny Halo and the Angels" They're from "Nor'side". Really great group. Jack Hurt AKA Johnny Halo is a dead ringer for Donny Allen too. The only downer to this New Years was the passing of Bernie Halgas who succumbed to esophageal cancer on Dec. 29. Went to his memorial service this morning. Real standup guy. Like all of us here Drum Corps through and through. Big write up in the Post Gazette about him. When I moved out here to Western Pa. Bernie, Denny Graham, Frank Cicco, Riggie Laus and a few others took me under their collective wings something I'm very grateful for. Here is the obit from today's Post Gazette. He is also a Charter Lifetime Member of the PaDCHOF.

Bernard Halgas, a prolific figure in local drum and bugle corps, whose passion for competition sparked at a young age and lasted a lifetime, and whose efforts helped reunite alumni of several defunct corps, died Monday after a battle with cancer.

He was 67.

Born in Trafford, Mr. Halgas excelled at the trumpet in grade school, and joined Trafford's Black Knights Drum Corps when he was just 11. It was there that he began playing the bugle, becoming a leader in the horn section, said his brother, Frank Halgas, who played the bass bugle.

Already a standout, Mr. Halgas later joined the Esquires in Westmoreland County, where he continued instructing and mentoring younger members and developing lifelong friendships.

One such companion was Ladd Jasper, whom Mr. Halgas met as fellow lead soprano bugle player in the Esquires. Mr. Jasper, 76, of Jeannette, said he watched as Mr. Halgas quickly rose in the corps, instructing after just three or four years.

"We were kind of addicted to drum corps," Mr. Jasper said. "It has a sound all of its own. It's shrill, brassy. You just get hooked on it."

Mr. Jasper kept in touch with Mr. Halgas through the years, as he married Stella Halgas in 1973 and moved to Sharon. He took a hiatus from drum and bugle corps to raise his daughter and four stepchildren, but he ultimately returned to his beloved pastime about 25 years later, after his divorce, his daughter, Melissa, said.

"The passion was very heavy with Bernie," said Dominic Mignogna, 58, of Trafford, a lifelong friend of Mr. Halgas and a fellow drum corps member. "It was basically his whole life, besides his family."

Mr. Mignogna said he, too, was inspired by Mr. Halgas' love of competition and looked to him as a mentor.

"He took us under his wing and taught us how to march, how to play a horn and what to do on the field," he said. "He was a teacher who would not take no for an answer. He would say, 'Yes, you can play this, and here's how you're going to play it' ... I thought, this guy has his heart and soul in it. Why can't I?"

In 1998, Mr. Halgas worked to reunite dozens of alumni from several defunct drum and bugle corps, helping form the West Penn Alumni Drum and Bugle Corps.

"He loved his bugle, and he loved to march," Frank Halgas said. "He said, 'Let's do this again, we loved it so much.'"

Hey Pepe, let Bernie warm up the horn line once in a while, it'll keep interested. :thumbup:

Edited by NYSkyliner

A clue to the identity of the guy on the left. Nat "King" Cole has a hit record back in the day called "Nature Boy". Nature Boy is the nickname of the guy on the left.

that doesn't look like Buddy Rogers or Ric Flair :thumbup:

well hey those are the only two Nature Boys I know. oh wait...Buddy Landell, a 3rd rate Flair knockoff