Guess Who # 344 ?

(click on pic to enlarge)

[/size][/b]

My opinion... this man, for many years, has played the most iconic mellophone solo in the history of drum corps. An all-time classic. The solo and him. :thumbup:

Fran

And despite what some people say, I know I am NOT older than he is...

Ron ... you're not old ... just ageless ... with a slight dyslexia vs. the guy in the pic for dc age ... in 65 when you were a teenager and with the SR Utica Execs, he was a teenager marching with the JR Bronx Kingsmen ... then ... in 71 when you were in your 20's and marching with the JR St. Joe's, he was in his 20's marcing with the SR Skyliners ...

:-)

Edited by ajlisko

Back when I first joined drum corps - back in the Dark Ages - I wanted to play a horn, but my mother said, "No!! You'll turn out just like that guy in Pittsburgh." So I decided to go with the better class of people and obtained a pair of drum sticks.

:thumbup:

When I first joined corps, I (tried to) play a Getzen Frenchie. One day at rehearsal, our horn instructor, Ron Ghetti came up to me, took the horn from my hands and said (in his own inimitable way, for those of you who know Ghetti, you know what I mean) "have you ever considered drums?" I replied, only if you teach me how to conduct. The rest is history.

Now back to the thread.....sorry for the diversion.

Edited by ereese

Ron ... you're not old ... just ageless ... with a slight dyslexia vs. the guy in the pic for dc age ... in 65 when you were a teenager and with the SR Utica Execs, he was a teenager marching with the JR Bronx Kingsmen ... then ... in 71 when you were in your 20's and marching with the JR St. Joe's, he was in his 20's marcing with the SR Skyliners ...

Was that 20's or 30's in '71 with Joes? You know we all love ya Ron...

A few years back, in Scranton....

Someone, told Ron that he was older than ---- .

He was standing just a few feet away, so, Larry and I asked him how old he was. As it turns out, he was either 3 or 5 months older than Ron.

in 65 ... he was a teenager marching with the JR Bronx Kingsmen .

And before he was one of the King's men, he was one of the Queen's men.

Some people call him "Mr. P.T."

When I first joined corps, I (tried to) play a Getzen Frenchie. One day at rehearsal, our horn instructor, Ron Ghetti came up to me, took the horn from my hands and said (in his own inimitable way, for those of you who know Ghetti, you know what I mean) "have you ever considered drums?" I replied, only if you teach me how to conduct. The rest is history.

Now back to the thread.....sorry for the diversion.

HAHA.... My "start" was almost the same!

I too started on a Getzen French and my instructor (Jim Centorino) after hearing me "attempt" to play it while marching, took the horn away and handed me a Baritone.... :laughing:

As for the DM part.... If anyone remembers my "conducting" obviously no one would take credit (err.... blame) that they taught me how to....LOL

And before he was one of the King's men, he was one of the Queen's men.

Some people call him "Mr. P.T."

... and after the King's men he was one of the Brass men ... LOL ...

Still live in St. Alban's, NY ... home of the Queensmen ...

HAHA.... My "start" was almost the same!

I too started on a Getzen French and my instructor (Jim Centorino) after hearing me "attempt" to play it while marching, took the horn away and handed me a Baritone.... :laughing:

As for the DM part.... If anyone remembers my "conducting" obviously no one would take credit (err.... blame) that they taught me how to....LOL

So it seems that most DMs had the same start. Jimmy Russo started on french horn as well. :tongue: