The original street beat was played by the Phoebe Apperson Hearst Post junior corps of NYC ... they merged with The Grand Street Boys after WWII to form the Garbarina AL Post ... don't know who actually wrote the piece for Pheobe ... maybe Priester has more info ...

:-)

Sorry, not a clue. I do remember hearing that street beat back in '49 and I was just a wee lad at the time.

Ray

Ok, I have to do this here... "here" as opposed to anywhere else....

I trust and rely on you folks. (Don't let me down)

I recently made a post on FaceBook...

"Why does it always seem that almost every Corps' street beat sounds like Sky?"

Some got a bit pissy about it... I followed it up with...

"It always sounds like some rendition of the same thing. Or is it just me?"

Oddly enough, I was flat out told that it was just me.

Does any one here know the background of the streetbeat? If so, please share!!

I have my own theories... but, I'd really like to hear it from those in the field.

Thanx in advance!!!

most corps from the time did in fact use a version of what we called the gabarina streetbeat. it sounds toughand was easy to do over long periods of time. in 1977 we used it but with a twist....we played backwards. .it sounded cool.

most corps from the time did in fact use a version of what we called the gabarina streetbeat. it sounds toughand was easy to do over long periods of time. in 1977 we used it but with a twist....we played backwards. .it sounded cool.

Must have been weird seeing you guys come down the street backwards! LOL

The original street beat was played by the Phoebe Apperson Hearst Post junior corps of NYC ... they merged with The Grand Street Boys after WWII to form the Garbarina AL Post ... don't know who actually wrote the piece for Pheobe ... maybe Priester has more info ...

:-)

Very interesting.... thanx!!

This was also interesting...it was a reply I got on my FB page....

"Old-time, traditional streetbeats often started with a five-stroke roll, an upbeat flam, then an 8th note rest. In this respect, the similiar sound you hear may be due to the similiar beginning."

I'm retired... remember?

I will be in Scranton and Annapolis... then I'm going to Europe and doing both DCUK championship on 9/22 (Mansfield England) and DCE Championship on 9/29 (Kerksrade The Netherlands)

making any other shows will be "iffy" at best...

And Freddy has been invited!! thumbup.gif (He's getting to travel a LOT more than we are! LOL)

And Freddy has been invited!! thumbup.gif (He's getting to travel a LOT more than we are! LOL)

actually - in between the two shows, Joe Siracuse and I are flying into Rome for a few days... then on to Frankfurt and Cologne... Perhaps we should try for Freddy to get an audience with the POPE?

actually - in between the two shows, Joe Siracuse and I are flying into Rome for a few days... then on to Frankfurt and Cologne... Perhaps we should try for Freddy to get an audience with the POPE?

WOW!! The thought of Freddy getting a possible chance of going to Mansfield UK and The Netherlands was amazing enough! The opportunity to actually see where hot dogs and toilet water are made.....WooHoo!! (j/k devil.gif)

I didn't know Italy and Germany were also on the tour list! worthy.gif

Are you sure you want to explain "Freddy" to customs officials? I was thinking of one of Jeff Dunham's shows.... (Ventriloquist, no relation to our Queen) He tells a story about going through customs and having his luggage checked. Something about finding hand lotion and all of his "Co-Stars" in his luggage and being asked about it.... blink.gifw00t.gif

If Freddy joining your tour will be a bit much he can stay home and wait for the photos with the rest of us.... shutup.gif (I don't think it's a good idea to let Freddy anywhere near the Pope.... Ask his Uncle Roo. His vacation with Uncle Roo in Hawaii was an adventure for sure. He is known to be a bit unruly, after all he IS a rubber chicken! heh)

Ok, I have to do this here... "here" as opposed to anywhere else....

I trust and rely on you folks. (Don't let me down)

I recently made a post on FaceBook...

"Why does it always seem that almost every Corps' street beat sounds like Sky?"

Some got a bit pissy about it... I followed it up with...

"It always sounds like some rendition of the same thing. Or is it just me?"

Oddly enough, I was flat out told that it was just me.

Does any one here know the background of the streetbeat? If so, please share!!

I have my own theories... but, I'd really like to hear it from those in the field.

Thanx in advance!!!

hopefully I'm not one of those you found to be pissy.

In general, there may be a similar sturcture to many beats solely because you only want them to be so long. No, IMO, many beats in days gone by DID sound similar, with a certain sturcture, often some bars loud, some bars soft, but today I find beats to be overly written 'let's see how much #### we can throw in there" lick fests as opposed to a piece of music that has a hook to it people will get and recognize.