my brain must be fired.....although i was smoking a lot of funny cigs and doing powder back then.............blink.gif

I know that the 70's and 80's happened, only because of chronology...they HAD to happen!

(but yeah...the "fog" back in those daze was prettttttty thick!) :blink:

IIRC.... 75-76 (at least) I think almost everyone was at one time... w00t.gif

Was I ???

i don't remember him being a DM. .

79-9RayFallonWetDream_zpsd86af47f.jpg

If you thought #'s 2 & 5 were great entertainers (and they were!), check out # 7 hamming it up on the podium at the "Wet Dream" in 79'........He might have won the wet tee shirt contest too! :w00t:/>

If you thought #'s 2 & 5 were great entertainers (and they were!), check out # 7 hamming it up on the podium at the "Wet Dream" in 79'........He might have won the wet tee shirt contest too! :w00t:/>/>

I don't remember but is that Vic Kulinski on timp under old #7?

BTW - not my favorite pic of not my favorite day, but c'est le vie...

Was I ???

With Sun?..... You could have been. w00t.gif

If you thought #'s 2 & 5 were great entertainers (and they were!), check out # 7 hamming it up on the podium at the "Wet Dream" in 79'........He might have won the wet tee shirt contest too! w00t.gif

Well Fish, I see ya worked it out OK... shutup.gif

(I was there and remember a LOT of us looked similar to this. LOL)

i don't remember him being a DM. .

Most people have tried to forget...

#7 appeared as DM of 3 DCA corps - 1976 Sunrisers (after the duly appointed drum major fled New Jersey for points west in the middle of the season - #7 was working the brass line and was thrust into DM'ing. There are unconfirmed reports that Marching guru Gene Bennett thought that anything that would get #7 off the field and out of the drill could only help the corps; 1979 and 1982 Hurcs - again drafted due to something that happened to the actual drum major - injury, called off to war, went to the mattresses, I don't remember - extremely forgettable; Archer Epler 1978 at the Dream and again in 1981 at DCA.

There is no good reason on Earth why #7 should ever have been in front of a corps except a) he was wide enough to hide mistakes from the stands or b) getting him off the field eliminated more mistakes than he could hide.

He never enjoyed being a drum major, as he knew he absolutely ####ed at it, a point that was often reinforced by the real DMs of DCA. He did love conducting and loved trying to interpret his own arrangements, plus Joe Genero (another unlikely Hurricane DM) was his teenage idol - #7 was in awe of the sound that Joe could produce from the Hurricane's hornline. Although a mediocre DM on his very best day, he was thrilled to be out there with the real giants of the golden age of DCA.

He also worshiped the corps he was in front of - Sunrisers were his boyhood ideal - he dreamed of playing with Sun and worshiped John Sasso; Hurricanes, as previously mentioned, were led by a boyhood hero, Joe Genero - their music symbolized the raw power of the Galaxy to young #7. Archer Epler was a boyhood favorite that grew into a home for him. People like Jack Reilly were among his most admired lifetime figures. Worshiped all 3 corps, and still does.

#7 is the first to admit that if you did the "who doesn't belong and why" game he'd be cut out of this picture with a scizzors, but is secretly excited to see himself with the real majors in the pic as he has exactly zero pictures of himself in drum corps.

I don't know his name, but I think you can agree with me that of all the drum majors pictured here, including the 110 year old man, #7 is a disgrace and doesn't belong, but man he enjoyed those moments standing in front of some of the great DCA brasslines of all times.

BTW he's now old and his memory is #### so he won't be able to confirm any of what I wrote here, but I knew him well back in the day. In fact I was instrumental in convincing him to wear his hair like a homeless Viet Nam Vet, and later on to cut it so he could do real work once in a while. I also used to take him to the VA PTSD Center in jamaica Plain, Boston, MA as an out-patient until the headaches went away. Never sure if they came from flying as a combat crewmember or standing in front of Hurricane's 1979 hornline. It was close, but Viet Nam was slightly less dangerous.

And that's all I have to say about that. Let's move onto the 1,000 year old man...

Most people have tried to forget...

#7 appeared as DM of 3 DCA corps - 1976 Sunrisers (after the duly appointed drum major fled New Jersey for points west in the middle of the season - #7 was working the brass line and was thrust into DM'ing. There are unconfirmed reports that Marching guru Gene Bennett thought that anything that would get #7 off the field and out of the drill could only help the corps; 1979 and 1982 Hurcs - again drafted due to something that happened to the actual drum major - injury, called off to war, went to the mattresses, I don't remember - extremely forgettable; Archer Epler 1978 at the Dream and again in 1981 at DCA.

There is no good reason on Earth why #7 should ever have been in front of a corps except a) he was wide enough to hide mistakes from the stands or b) getting him off the field eliminated more mistakes than he could hide.

He never enjoyed being a drum major, as he knew he absolutely ####ed at it, a point that was often reinforced by the real DMs of DCA. He did love conducting and loved trying to interpret his own arrangements, plus Joe Genero (another unlikely Hurricane DM) was his teenage idol - #7 was in awe of the sound that Joe could produce from the Hurricane's hornline. Although a mediocre DM on his very best day, he was thrilled to be out there with the real giants of the golden age of DCA.

He also worshiped the corps he was in front of - Sunrisers were his boyhood ideal - he dreamed of playing with Sun and worshiped John Sasso; Hurricanes, as previously mentioned, were led by a boyhood hero, Joe Genero - their music symbolized the raw power of the Galaxy to young #7. Archer Epler was a boyhood favorite that grew into a home for him. People like Jack Reilly were among his most admired lifetime figures. Worshiped all 3 corps, and still does.

#7 is the first to admit that if you did the "who doesn't belong and why" game he'd be cut out of this picture with a scizzors, but is secretly excited to see himself with the real majors in the pic as he has exactly zero pictures of himself in drum corps.

I don't know his name, but I think you can agree with me that of all the drum majors pictured here, including the 110 year old man, #7 is a disgrace and doesn't belong, but man he enjoyed those moments standing in front of some of the great DCA brasslines of all times.

BTW he's now old and his memory is #### so he won't be able to confirm any of what I wrote here, but I knew him well back in the day. In fact I was instrumental in convincing him to wear his hair like a homeless Viet Nam Vet, and later on to cut it so he could do real work once in a while. I also used to take him to the VA PTSD Center in jamaica Plain, Boston, MA as an out-patient until the headaches went away. Never sure if they came from flying as a combat crewmember or standing in front of Hurricane's 1979 hornline. It was close, but Viet Nam was slightly less dangerous.

And that's all I have to say about that. Let's move onto the 1,000 year old man...

worthy.gifworthy.gifworthy.gif

I'm honored to call # 7 friend.... thumbup.gif (# 7 is also a fellow Sunrisers Hall of Famer, as well as a member of the Hurcs HOF, Bugler's Hall of Fame and WDCHOF!! worthy.gif)

*edited fer spellin'*

Edited by TennTux

I don't remember but is that Vic Kulinski on timp under old #7?

BTW - not my favorite pic of not my favorite day, but c'est le vie...

81-55RayFallon_zps52decf00.jpg

Here's a pic of #7 from 1981 without the foliage!.....He'd prodded the hornline, by agreeing to shave, in exchange for a high horn trophy....he got the trophy and we got to see, for a brief period, what he actually looked like!

And no, that's not Vic on tymp....he played snare in 79'.....does that refresh your memory any?:smile:/>

With Sun?..... You could have been. w00t.gif

Cool...I hope someone finds pictures...like I said earlier...the 80's were extremely foggy :rolleyes: