Growing up in NJ, it was a privilege to be able to visit those tropical islands.

Staten and Long. :tongue:

Luckily, I never had the pleasure of visiting Rikers. LOL.

Fran - you're leaving out one of the holy places of the activity - Randall's Island.

I was there one night in 1983 (might have been 84 - sue me - it's 30 years ago) when Bucky's pinto was stolen WHILE he was using it to shine light on the horn arc - ended up dumped over on the West Side of 125th.

Randall's Island. Not Aruba or St Marten, but a hot spot of drum corps travel nonetheless.

• Like 3

OK. The southernmost part of NYC is Staten Island, and he graduated in '64 so he's 67 or so.

Do the Staten Island Lawmen have anything to do with this?

(The leaf-less trees mystified me, but sometimes Proms are held in the spring before the blossoms emerge, and besides, Staten Island is close to the toxic part of NJ so that could explain it.)

The leafless trees to which you refer were the result of an absolutely devastating brush fire back in the Spring of '64 that took out an awful lot of the South Shore of Staten Island.

The photo is from late May, early June of '64. BTW, he told me he missed his Senior Prom; BS had practice!

Edited by Ray Priester
  • Like 1

Ya know - something I just realized - this is more fun when you have no idea who the subject is - sitting back reading Sherlock Holmes (not Ed Holmes) style deductions, and gentle prodding from the folks that always know everything. This is better than "House of Cards" (at least the British one).

OK, carry on. If it's the Staten Island Lawmen, he's a lead soprano. Those guys (like the Norwalk Hot Shots) had some really strong players up top.

Actually, it was the Regimental Cadets ( kudos to Mr Lisko!) and he played baritone there and with his other junior corps.

Reggie also had a few strong leads back in the day, Al DeRosa,George Kosnik, Tom Tori ( RIP-USMC-VN) to name a couple.

Edited by Ray Priester

First look at this feature and I thought this was taken in the driveway at Connie Corleone's wedding. Then, I noticed the feature was wearing white and the car was too new.

If this guy was in SAC in 64, I'm slipping, cause I have no clue. At least I know it's not Baby John.

First look at this feature and I thought this was taken in the driveway at Connie Corleone's wedding. Then, I noticed the feature was wearing white and the car was too new.

If this guy was in SAC in 64, I'm slipping, cause I have no clue. At least I know it's not Baby John.

He actually first marched BS in '63 and won his first Nationals.

He actually first marched BS in '63 and won his first Nationals.

Not only 63 Am. Legion Nat's in Miami, but the Dream and World Open. Plus that first big show of the year, The Preview of Champs at Roosevelt Stadium. That's quite a trip to the trophy case I'd say.

We saw them twice late September and they were close to perfection. I think only Garfield and St. Kevin's beat them in 63.

• Like 1

>> Glenn sez: If this guy was in SAC in 64, I'm slipping, cause I have no clue. At least I know it's not Baby John.

He may not be Baby John, but he played a duet with him in the concert in 65 ...

:-)

He may not be Baby John, but he played a duet with him in the concert in 65 ...

:-)

I am pretty sure I now know who this gentlemen is!!!

The leafless trees to which you refer were the result of an absolutely devastating brush fire back in the Spring of '64 that took out an awful lot of the South Shore of Staten Island.

The photo is from late May, early June of '64. BTW, he told me he missed his Senior Prom; BS had practice!

Not sure whether it's more ironic that he missed his Senior Prom a) to go to rehearsal to play "Let's Face the Music and Dance" or that b) that one of the productions was from a show entitled "Let's Make Love" ("Give Me the Simple Life")

Either one is enough to make a 17 year old boy just about break down. Instead of facing the (Prom) music and dancing or simply making love he found himself blowing a baritone.

Cruel fate we drum corps people endure...