Okay ... I'll go with Symphony Hall ... not sure what year Winky's uni was stolen ... the style of those drums still bothers me though ...

Not certain of the location. I did not get to attend as many shows as you would think. Could be Symphony Hall, but Andy is right. Those look like the solid white snare drums they used prior to the '65 Premiers. Had the white MoP in mid '68 and then went to the chrome Ludwigs in '71. Tenors used the white ones in '65, then in '69 and '70 had the use of PAL's old silver sparkle Ludwigs ( right Andy?) and then went over to the white MoPs in ;71. The entire line went all chrome in '75 with the dual snare lines.

As for the posting, my guess as to the year would be just as good as anyone else's.

Clear as mud!

Ray, nice to see you back. Are you sure about the Butch connection? I thought that connection was a corps with Men that spanned two States?

Never really left, Glenn. Lurked but didn't post for a long time since I was extremely PO'd re: The Don's treatment and still am, but that was not directed at MOST of the residents of Whoville

BTW, haven't seen Ed Reese on here in a dog's age. Where/why is he hiding? EDDIE, make your presence known!!!

• Like 1

... Hmmm... what happned to Ballentine, what 1 or 2 years and that was it????

Yup ... exhibition corps in 63 and the one year of competition in 64 ... Genero, Thompson and Petrone were the instructional staff ... loaded with talent from Amboy Dukes, BS, Woodsiders, Carver and St. Vinnie's ... one and done ... they used two Ballentine Brewery trucks when going to a show ... one for the equipment and one for the ale ... once the equipment truck broke down but the beer truck made the show ...

:-)

I wonder why they folded so soon?

With that talent, and that staff, they might have been a big player if they had stuck around.

I... wonder why they folded so soon?

Guess you missed the part about having two trucks ... one for equipment and one for beer/ale ...

• Like 2

Wondering about some of those "right before my time" (1974) corps too. Thought I read Carver merged with a corps and became Gardenstatesmen but most of the Northeastern Circuit corps are just names to me.....

Hmmm might have a Northeastern patch at home... must have been an eBay special years back....

Found a copy of D&BC of North America website on a CD I burned. Thought it would be a safe thing to do as websites disappear now and then (like the Boys of 76 sites :sad: ). Anyway the Carver -> Gardenstatesmen note is confusing, includes the Avengers which was a parade corps according to corpsreps. so who knows.

And the Northeastern patch is for the Jr part of that circuit. Logo is the Northeast US with (I guess) states of member corps in a different color. Hmmm just thought of a new idea for a thread....

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Okay ... I'll go with Symphony Hall ... not sure what year Winky's uni was stolen ... the style of those drums still bothers me though ...

Holy Moly! His uniform was stolen? There's a story in itself. Where's Carol Merk.... when you need her? Just kidding.

Wow, never heard that one. Man, that's like stealing Carlo Gambinos pinky ring.

... Holy Moly! His uniform was stolen? There's a story in itself. Where's Carol Merk.... when you need her? Just kidding.

Wow, never heard that one. Man, that's like stealing Carlo Gambinos pinky ring. ...

HAHA ... it happened more than once to him ... most notably at the 71 Dream when he had to borrow a uni from the St. Andrew's Bridgemen DM, which was black ... a stark contrast from his cream & gold Sky uni ...

I'm pretty sure there was at least one other stage show where his uni went AWOL and he wore his corps jacket ...

Hey ... the guy was popular ...

He sure was. I first met him when I was 15 or 16. Me and Jack Schwab went to their rehearsal in an armory up near Harlem. I recall us sitting and talking, waiting for everyone to show up. I looked up at the clock and it's 11pm. I was like when do they start???? In Selden, we'd be wrapping things up about then. Jack talked and talked and Wink sat there listening and smiling. I remember he had this great big smile all the time.

Around midnight we left and they still hadn't started rehearsal.

Several years later, I believe it was at 68 Mission Drums, we were walking into this hall at BC after retreat and Sky was singing Happy Birthday to the Sunrisers. I have no idea why, but suddenly I thought of that night in that armory. Maybe because he still had that smile on his face.

He certainly was a living legend.

Edited by gsksun4

He sure was. I first met him when I was 15 or 16. Me and Jack Schwab went to their rehearsal in an armory up near Harlem. I recall us sitting and talking, waiting for everyone to show up. I looked up at the clock and it's 11pm. I was like when do they start???? In Selden, we'd be wrapping things up about then. Jack talked and talked and Wink sat there listening and smiling. I remember he had this great big smile all the time.

Around midnight we left and they still hadn't started rehearsal.

Several years later, I believe it was at 68 Mission Drums, we were walking into this hall at BC after retreat and Sky was singing Happy Birthday to the Sunrisers. I have no idea why, but suddenly I thought of that night in that armory. Maybe because he still had that smile on his face.

He certainly was a living legend.

They were singing Happy Birthday because you won the show ... in other words, the win was a "gift" ... LOL ...

• Like 1