The 1968 Skyliners were a great corps, loaded with talent, and it was difficult for some of those cats to process the concept that the Sunrisers, "a bunch of college boys", could actually out-point them...ever.

They got used to it, and there were no more "Happy Birthdays".

Edited by ironlips
  • Like 2

The 1968 Skyliners were a great corps, loaded with talent, and it was difficult for some of those cats to process the concept that the Sunrisers, "a bunch of college boys", could actually out-point them...ever.

They got used to it, and there were no more "Happy Birthdays".

LOL - fast forward 10 years and Sun was the "milk and cookies" corps according to Fran H....

Kinda like Westshore when we had 5 year members who were finally able to have a legal beer...

• Like 1

The good old days up on Chestnut Hill at Boston College for Mission Drums ,followed by the Brigs show the next week-end,Which was televised live then rebroadcasted on PBS channel 21 Long Island ,Boy back in the day that stadium was packed ,and the Brigs show the 2nd win that season for Sunrisers ,I had that on tape ,not visual but sound ,I used a brand new Woandsak recorder loved all the interviews from staff and directors before each corps show .Some good laughts from them back then.

... Have you still got that tape? ...

Hmmm ... I'm wondering if PBS in LI still has the video somewhere in its archives ... I remember watching that show at the Harry Condon AL Post #11 with my PAL compadres ... the interview with a "shy and humble" Winky was hilarious ...

Boy ... what a find that would be!

:-)

Edited by ajlisko

Sorry Frank that was a reel to reel tape recorder about the size of my computer .I held on to that for many years ,listened to a few times ,had Frank and a few others over from the corps ,We laughted our a == off over the comments from Cabs and other corps before the scores where given .That was the first year of toe to heal looked like we where marching on eggs back then .Wish I did have it ,i'd send it to you .They showed it on TV in the middle of the week if I recall .About 2 weeks after the show .

I... wonder why they folded so soon?

Guess you missed the part about having two trucks ... one for equipment and one for beer/ale ...

:-)

Just thought that meant they had a really good sponsor!!! LOL

Certainly not the only corps for which beer was a prominent factor in their everyday lives. :tongue:

Found a copy of D&BC of North America website on a CD I burned. Thought it would be a safe thing to do as websites disappear now and then (like the Boys of 76 sites :sad: ). Anyway the Carver -> Gardenstatesmen note is confusing, includes the Avengers which was a parade corps according to corpsreps. so who knows.

And the Northeastern patch is for the Jr part of that circuit. Logo is the Northeast US with (I guess) states of member corps in a different color. Hmmm just thought of a new idea for a thread....

I remember seeing the Garden Statesmen a couple of times at the Wildwood state AL show. Not a bad corps at all.

I think they started drinking the beer before the contests ,that's why they didn't last .