I can still remember being with Sky in Hershey 1973 when this group of "nautical maids" approached us saying they wanted to see the Big Red Band ... OH MY! ... Mr. Toad's Wild Ride never seemed the same after ... neither one of us won ... and neither one of us cared ... LORDY, LORDY ...

:-)

Edited by ajlisko

He's here all week, folks. :tounge2:

Tickets are on e-bay ...

:augen51:

Or Newark Bay. LOL

More recently, quite a few have "un-retired ", joined JOBE (the Jim Ott Brass Ensemble, directed by that blonde girl)

And a Bonnie lass was she.

And still is. :tongue:

• Like 1

Stockton ,would be their home port .Loved this corps saw them at the U.S,Open in Marrion Ohio ,Then the Key To the Sea invitational and last DCI Whitewater what a week of drum corps that was.1973 .They played Popeye the Sailor as a drum solo.

'

Edited by Florida Sun

I ott to know the last name of this "Bonnie lass" but my memory isn't what it was!

• Like 1

Ah, you're a clever Old Buc. (We stood near each other many times on retreat in '64.)

Indeed, her name ott to come back to you, no doubt when someone chases the clouds away from your memory some rainy day and/or Monday. After all, she's a legend.

This may help:

http://i0.wp.com/geektasticnebula.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/76bonnie-114.jpeg

As you no doubt know, she was the inspiration for other outstanding mello-goddesses like Garfield's Barbara and Westshore's Sylvia.

Edited by ironlips
  • Like 1

Ah, you're a clever Old Buc. (We stood near each other many times on retreat in '64.)

Indeed, her name ott to come back to you, no doubt when someone chases the clouds away from your memory some rainy day and/or Monday. After all, she's a legend.

This may help:

http://i0.wp.com/geektasticnebula.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/76bonnie-114.jpeg

As you no doubt know, she was the inspiration for other outstanding mello-goddesses like Garfield's Barbara and Westshore's Sylvia.

I'm sure we did stand on the field together back in the day at many shows. I also stood next to Bonnie Ott at retreat in Hershey Stadium in '74 or '75. It was a Jr/Sr show back then. I was on the end of my rank & Bonny stood between Reading & BD to play here solo in "Chase the Clouds Away". That girl could play with power & confidence!

On another note; In 1964 was DCA yet formed? I know there was a "split" in '65 but I'm a little foggy on '64.

I believe DCA was "formed" in '64, but the first Championship was in '65, with the Buccaneers winning at Bridgeport.

Retreat was planned to be a mass performance of the last chorus of Stars and Stripes, with all competing corps next to one another in parade formations across the back sideline, pushing forward towards the audience together on the first note of the hit.

The assumption was that they would all have actually learned the piece. Some did, including Reading. The Hurcs more-or-less had it down, Sky...not so much. The overall effect from the stands was pretty hilarious.

I don't think it was ever again considered.

Two ladies who should be in the Bugler's Hall of Fame.

But I digress. LOL.

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 1

I believe DCA was "formed" in '64, but the first Championship was in '65, with the Buccaneers winning at Bridgeport.

Retreat was planned to be a mass performance of the last chorus of Stars and Stripes, with all competing corps next to one another in parade formations across the back sideline, pushing forward towards the audience together on the first note of the hit.

The assumption was that they would all have actually learned the piece. Some did, including Reading. The Hurcs more-or-less had it down, Sky...not so much. The overall effect from the stands was pretty hilarious.

I don't think it was ever again considered.

LOL... a similar attempt was made, in 1996 in Rochester.... with similar less-than-stellar results. :tongue: