Jeez Andy even Pittsburgh had Three Rivers facing the city IIRC...

OK I've probably read the name somewhere in NanciDs history blog but how about a name to go with the stadium.

I was never high enough to view it from that perspective!

Hmmm ... you left that to the drumline - huh?

:-)

Can't remember!

C'mon Jim ... you want a silver platter with those clues? ... Dream ... Reilly ... Jersey City ... Newark ... Nuns in the stands! ... Beer Garden ... heh ... Garden? ... Teddy, Frank and Ellie ... WHAT MORE DO YOU WANT????

GOOGLE AWAY!!!!

• Like 1

OK have never seen it from the top... even have DVDs taken in 72 and 69 but never from the top.

I just noticed the Newark reference and didn't know what was across the river.. LOL have enough problems with being raised on the "wrong" side of the Susquehanna,,,

Never in Newark, NJ... was in Newark, DE ca 1972 when the old man missed a turn off... brrrrrrrr.....

Edit: just googled and found some nice pics... and corps section....

LOL Lynyrd Skynyrd opened for Rod Stewart man what a pairing. I'd be home early from that one....

Edited by JimF-LowBari

C'mon Jim ... you want a silver platter with those clues? ... Dream ... Reilly ... Jersey City ... Newark ... Nuns in the stands! ... Beer Garden ... heh ... Garden? ... Teddy, Frank and Ellie ... WHAT MORE DO YOU WANT????

GOOGLE AWAY!!!!

I didn't post that as a GW, I just thought it might generate some stories. I guess it's not that obvious to some.

All I can say is, if you were never there, you missed out on a whole lot.

My personal misfortune was the 66 Dream. The old man took us all to a Mets game. WTF was he thinking?

• Like 1

OK have never seen it from the top... even have DVDs taken in 72 and 69 but never from the top.

I just noticed the Newark reference and didn't know what was across the river.. LOL have enough problems with being raised on the "wrong" side of the Susquehanna,,,

I think that's the Hackensack River and just south of there is Newark Bay.

OK I've seen the Bayonne bridge when we were at a late 70s DCA show with the Matadors at the next practice field. IIRC they used a converted Pepsi truck with the roll up sides as an equipment truck. "Wow they even have the Contras on (notched) shelves so they don't slide". We had a refridgerated truck with thick insulated walls, IOW it looked bigger than it was inside.

Saw the bridge (nice) and then looked over the wall at the river (#### is it me or is the water BROWN?)...

Edited by JimF-LowBari

I was a freshman in HS, in the Xavier Cadets Drum and Bugle Corps, and had seen drum corps only in parades, never a field show. One of the older Cadets (who also marched in St. Patrick's of Jersey City) asked if I had been to the Dream. I had no idea what he was talking about.

"Meet me at the Jersey City Hudson Tube stop. We'll take the bus from there", he said. For a NY kid this was like going to Mars, and when we got there....Reilly Raiders, St. Kevins, Archie...holy hornlines, Batman!

I had been to the mountain.

• Like 2

I was a freshman in HS, in the Xavier Cadets Drum and Bugle Corps, and had seen drum corps only in parades, never a field show. One of the older Cadets (who also marched in St. Patrick's of Jersey City) asked if I had been to the Dream. I had no idea what he was talking about.

"Meet me at the Jersey City Hudson Tube stop. We'll take the bus from there", he said. For a NY kid this was like going to Mars, and when we got there....Reilly Raiders, St. Kevins, Archie...holy hornlines, Batman!

I had been to the mountain.

If that was just before St. Catherines in 61, you prolly saw our late friend Frank Buscemi with the Mardi Gras March solo.

If it was 59 which was most likely not HS yet, you'd have heard his opening solo to Brave Bulls. The guys from Post 199 ate that up. :)

Pepe: Hey Yogi ... you wanna go ta da Dream?

Yogi: Yeah, sure ... what's the Dream?

Pepe: Kinda like drum corps version of Old Timers Day at The Stadium

Yogi: Ders a drum corps show at Yankee Stadium?

Pepe: No ... Roosevelt Stadium in Jersey City

Yogi: Who plays there?

Pepe: The Jersey City Giants

Yogi: But the Giants play at the Polo Grounds

Pepe: Yeah ... but der from NY and dat's in the summer

Yogi: When's da Dream?

Pepe: August

Yogi: Oh ... it that when they change the clocks?

Pepe: No it still gets late later

Yogi: Good ... cause I can't stand when it gets late early ...

Pepe: (rolls eyes) ...

:-)

Edited by ajlisko
  • Like 1