1. 1. Which one do you like better?

• 1999 Cadets - The Big Apple
    • 2005 Cavaliers - My Kind of Town

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

WOW. Just watched 99 Cadets for the first time, and that mello line is insane.

Although, they didn't strike me as the best sounding hornline ever (then again, I was watching a crappy recording).

WOW. Just watched 99 Cadets for the first time, and that mello line is insane.

Although, they didn't strike me as the best sounding hornline ever (then again, I was watching a crappy recording).

I'm pretty sure you'll find a good recording if you google video search it, unless of course that's what you did already.

But yeah, I have to say, Cadets 99 is incredible. The mellos....oh, the mellos. Quite possibly my favorite DCI show. (And my avatar...haha)

gosh this thread makes me feel all warm and fuzzy.

the summer of 1999 was an absolute beast for all involved, and the show was by far the most difficult i marched. hell's kitchen was insane. half the closer was scrapped and rewritten with three weeks to go. there wasn't a lot of floor time, to say the least.

that said -- i'm glad this show is getting some of the credit now that it didn't get then.

(fun fact -- notice how the first and last set are the same? that's because the last minute of the show was at one point the first minute of the show.)

I loved the Cadets 99 show. I remember sitting in the stands at quarters wondering why people weren't going more crazy for it. I actually thought they sounded and looked a lot better than they did in 98. 99 was just a very strange year for me with placements overall, I guess. I voted for Cadets 99 because I honestly don't even remember the Cavies 05 show.

Easy, 1999 Cadets! I love that show. They were quite a bit dirtier visually than the prior year, but man do I love that show. The only thing I don't like about it was the last minute addition of the blue tarps around the outter edge of the field. I got what they were doing - it was just distracting (especially dueing Semi-finals where they were blowing around, and people had to stand on them to try to hold them in place) and really didn't add anything to the show.

I also love hearing a fan in the stands call out for a Taxi to the guard members on the field with the cab doors. One of the rare times I actually liked hearing someone in the audience shout out during a performance.

I had no idea that this many people liked Cadets 1999... I always include it in the most underrated shows of all time.

Guess it's not underrated at all. I absolutely love everything about that show. the ballad is just incredible.

I do love Cavies 05 though... I still had to vote Cadets 1999.

~>conner

I won't say that the Cavaliers 2005 was a better show than Cadets 1999, because from show design alone I don't think it was, but I will argue that their mellophone section was one of the best ever. Sure they may not have played as balls out loud the entire show like the Cadets mellos did, but something tells me that wasn't exactly their goal. :P