Judges From Dancing With Stars

They would "score" the show based on whether they liked it or not, not how well it was performed. I don't believe they would have any ability to follow the DCI guidelines. It sure would shake things up to have people outside the loop score a drum corps show, but if the results counted for anything, I doubt very much that drum corps fans would be happy with the outcome.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay...here's what I want to know. In your best "Dancing with the Stars" judges' "voice," say what the judge(s) would say after seeing a specific corps' performance.

Okay...here's what I want to know. In your best "Dancing with the Stars" judges' "voice," say what the judge(s) would say after seeing a specific corps' performance.

As Bruno (man, if I could record myself saying this, I so would):

"Phantom Regiment...WOW! Like the phoenix itself, you were ON FIRE tonight! There was PASSION, EMOTION, and RAW POWER! You rose from the ashes and BROUGHT THE HOUSE DOWN!!!"

Or something like that.

One thing not considered thus far: The judges on "Dancing with the Stars" are very much in the open and on camera. In drum corps, they're very much not in the open and are not on camera. On the television show, they've become part of the act and help draw in viewers. In drum corps, the judges are apart from the act and do not serve any PR function.

Intriguing thought, though.

speaking of celebrity judges, steve young totally should have been allowed to judge at stanford this year. :P

hey, what if chad sexton got to judge field percussion? id love to hear that.

Edited by Jared_mello

I don't think any of them would be qualified to adjudicate even a parade competition. I'd be willing to bet at least 1 of them doesn't even know how to read music. Even if they did, there's no way any of them would be qualified to judge music at all.

it's funny i thought this way too when i heard they're creating a spinoff looking for singer/dancers. i was wondering what they knew about singing :P

I would hire them as designers if I were to do a ballroom/latin dancing type show. :)

That would be cool to bring in people who don't know a lot of about the activity judge. Seriously, no bias!

Madison Scouts used to do this at their home shows, invite local personalities to judge. DCI considered it an exhibition.

They would "score" the show based on whether they liked it or not, not how well it was performed. I don't believe they would have any ability to follow the DCI guidelines. It sure would shake things up to have people outside the loop score a drum corps show, but if the results counted for anything, I doubt very much that drum corps fans would be happy with the outcome.

I think that this is the whole point. How do the shows effect people that don't look at the fine nuances, but as a general whole. After all, that is what entertainment is all about. I'm not saying that corps should ignore the nuances that only the discerning ears/eyes can hear and see, but, sometimes the forest is de-emphasized because of the trees.