What's up in Memphis?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From the Memphis Sound website (the ad for a new Corps Director)

"We are pleased to announce that our Percussion Caption Head, Stephen Frittelli and our Visual Caption Head, Jason Younts will be returning with their staff after being awarded the respective Percussion and Visual Division III caption awards in 2007."

So, not saying you don't have the lastest information, just saying that it is not in line with the published content from the drum corps itself.

Actually, the poster was correct in stating that the visual caption head left to work for Regiment - last year's caption head was Andrew Solomonson (a PR alum). Jason Younts was a member of Solomonson's staff last summer, and according to the website will be returning, however the announcement's wording is slightly misleading as he was not last year's caption head.

:lol:

Perhaps that is true. Perhaps I am a grumpy old man. It just strikes me as odd that a 16-year-old is commenting on "what he heard" about the personnel affairs of another organization.

After years of observing this and other forums, I've come to notice that the corps who do the best are generally those who say the least (about things outside of the walls of their organization), either officially on their web sites or through the "free speech" of their members. While it may be considered to be admirable that the director protects his members and encourages their freedom to post here, it's also out of line, imho, for a child to be commenting on matters such as this.

Regardless of division, I don't notice many members of top organizations making comments like this. Perhaps there is some sort of correlation there.

*edited for clarity

I don't think it's your place to come down on someone simply because they are young. I know a 17 year old who is applying (and getting accepted) to several good medical schools (with a Bachelor's already under her belt). Perhaps you should stop worrying about people posting something that's common knowledge and doesn't demean anyone at Memphis and get off the high horse you seem to feel your age gives you. Plus, your thinly veiled attempt to chastise the poster's corps for having a tolerant posting policy is rather judgmental of you. We all know there's an underlying motive for your statement. In addition, your usage of "child" with the intent to demean the poster and insinuate ignorance on his part is more childish of you than any report he made on what he heard. And for the record, a 16 year old who has marched corps probably has friends in other organizations which would give him insight into said organzations that you would not have, so the things he has heard are probably not that "out there" or invalid. In fact, over the vast majority of posters on DCP, a poster who is currently marching probably has the highest chance of having accurate information. Try to be a little less caught up in your self-created fancies on how maturity, age, and knowledge are intertwined. ;)

As far as Memphis: Andre's working with SCV. He's pursuing a doctorate. There were some differences between some of last year's staff members (including Andre) and the board of directors, and so they parted ways (some left for good reasons, others were asked to leave for vague reasons). As far as Fritelli and Younts, they were both on staff last year and are both quite capable of the positions which they have (Steve is the same as last year, and Jason has moved up to caption head). I won't comment any further as that's where the opinion would begin and the fact would end.

Edited by Nex

Oh, and corpsvalues, I am in fact 16. Maybe it wasn't like this in your day, but gossiping is generally what 16 year olds do.

In MY day when I was 16 we NEVER gossiped about anything at any time. We ONLY spoke about confirmed facts. After all this was in the day of Mr Spock from the original Star Trek show. :unsure:

Hey Corpsvalues , is that your actual picture in your avatar ? :unsure:

I know that it's great to anticipate what the coming drum corps season will be like, and that's part of the reason why we all join DCP. However, I ask all of you to please consider it is what you are saying that potentially be misunderstood or misconstrued. This is in reference to the the food truck comments. If Memphis was short on volunteers, they sure did pull off one heck of a season! Thanks for commenting though, because that means someone's thinking of us. Good day!

Drum corps championships or lack there of cannot be determined until semifinals night really. I mean look at SCV and Bluecoats, they practically switched places.

Corpsvalues, I agree that you should not post things you've heard, but throwing age into does nothing. It just makes you a target to get flamed. :huh:

As odd as this sounds this is like a fresh start for memphis too. Ya they won div. III but I think they had potential to pass up some div. II corps.

Good luck Mempo!

Drum corps championships or lack there of cannot be determined until semifinals night really. I mean look at SCV and Bluecoats, they practically switched places.

Corpsvalues, I agree that you should not post things you've heard, but throwing age into does nothing. It just makes you a target to get flamed. :huh:

As odd as this sounds this is like a fresh start for memphis too. Ya they won div. III but I think they had potential to pass up some div. II corps.

Good luck Mempo!

I believe you are correct. Memphis lit it up last season. That's why I originally asked the questions. I'm excited about this corps and hope they will have another outstanding year in 2008.

Hey! it is DIV 2/3.... Everybody takes a turn in the food truck! Do you know how hard it is to find Diesel at midnight in upstate nowhere New York????

Back in the day in PRC and Cap. Sound, it wasn't uncommon for everyone...Board members, Executive Director, everyone, to take time in the Food Truck. The Food Truck is like drum corps central. When you are on the road, everything either happens on the food truck or is found out while on the food truck.

I had my father in law build a Div. II sized charcoal grill one year. Man...chicken never tasted so good.