now that corps can march 150

sizes  

248 members have voted

1. 1. what section(s) will be most affected by the increase to 150 members?

• brass
    • drumline
    • pit
    • guard

either drumline (addition of cymbals) or the guard (simply put, more members.)

I believe some corps will try to add more brass numbers, but I honestly don't think every corps is going to start trying to make their hornlines more than 72.

~>conner

I think we'll see some corps try for 81 brass...it's the next logical step after 64 and 72.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guard. Some corps have already increased the size of the hornline by adding some tubas and mellos. After that, there's no real need for adding more. More percussion? I think 8-10 snares, 4 tenors and 5 basses is enough. And pit parts seem to be covered rather well. The addition of several horns or percussion is very expensive as well.

The most cost effective and visually effective move would be to increase the size of the guard. The drill potentials, alone, with an increased guard are amazing.

I would say for most corps, supporting a 72 member horn line would be mostly financial. And depending on the corps, getting 72 people to fill the horn spots.

As I understand some corps already have some issues filling a 64 member hornline.

I'm betting on more cymbal lines, and more guard.

I believe the real motivation for raising the limit to 150 was to max out bus capacity. Most corps rent buses instead of owning them and 135 members left several blank seats, which I guess must have seemed like enough of an inefficiency that the member cap was raised.

I don't know if vacant bus seats had anything to do with the increase, but I feel sorry for all corps members carrying 150. The increase may add to a show's effectiveness musically and visually, but I believe it will also cause shorter tempers, more difficulty loading already packed to the max bus bays, and make it even more difficult to sleep on the bus. I give all corps members credit for enduring summer tour 2008.

To: Bus Drivers

Please drive as quickly but safely as you can to give members as much floor time as reasonably possible.

I don't know if vacant bus seats had anything to do with the increase, but I feel sorry for all corps members carrying 150. The increase may add to a show's effectiveness musically and visually, but I believe it will also cause shorter tempers, more difficulty loading already packed to the max bus bays, and make it even more difficult to sleep on the bus. I give all corps members credit for enduring summer tour 2008.

I also know that there are some corps that do not allow air mattresses on tour for its members. I hope fthis will change for those on bus loading duty in order to allow more room under the bus. I wonder if there will be strict rules about the amount of luggage members can bring on tour? If not, I feel sorry for the bus loaders. I realize this is not the most important concern for corps, but I would like to hear from some of you after summer tour 2008 if how five more members on each bus and their several pieces of luggage for each member had any effect on the tour.

Understand, I'm not against the increase, but I'm thinking about you all, the members, and how this may very well affect you.