now that corps can march 150

sizes  

248 members have voted

1. 1. what section(s) will be most affected by the increase to 150 members?

• brass
    • drumline
    • pit
    • guard

I know you were joking... but in all seriousness, I hope nobody adds a single drum major. Any more than 2 and it seems very high schoolish to me.

Dude.

I freaking LOVE your signature.....................good stuff man :)

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Bill is spot on. I would add, the one thing missing since the move to b-flat, is low brass presence. Regiment has the right idea by increasing to 14 contras, and I would like to see possibly 16 and a larger Euph line.

I tend to thing visually and the numbers, in an ideal situation, would allow block formations.

The horn line would break down into what I believe will become standard, 72 members (although instrumentation will vary).

24 Sops

14 Mellos

10 Baris

10 Euphs

14 Contras.

Allows for a 8 x 9 block. The next block size up would be a 9 x 9 block which is too big.

The drumline will be 24 members

9 Snares (10 or more becomes a cleaning issue)

5 Tenors

5 Bases

5 Plates

Allows for a block of 6 x 4 or 3 x 8, which fits with an 8 x 9 horn block.

The guard could grow to 40. Many different configurations with that number including an 8 x 5 block. The entire marching ensemble could be in an 8 x 17 block or echelon.

That leave 2 drum majors and 12 in the pit.

BIGGER GUARD.

50 guard

64 horns

20 battery

12 pit

2 dm

2 alternates

GO GO GO

You know alternates don't count against the 150, right? :P

Gas tanks! oh..... u meant memberwise??? :P

Yeah... I didn't think about the gas. The corps might have to start raising the member fees (which some have already done).

the corps that will have all 150 members already had 5 buses, for the most part. 5 busses w/ about 50 people capacity (usually more) per bus=250 capacity. so, NO extra gas needed

I don't know if vacant bus seats had anything to do with the increase, but I feel sorry for all corps members carrying 150. The increase may add to a show's effectiveness musically and visually, but I believe it will also cause shorter tempers, more difficulty loading already packed to the max bus bays, and make it even more difficult to sleep on the bus. I give all corps members credit for enduring summer tour 2008.

I also know that there are some corps that do not allow air mattresses on tour for its members. I hope fthis will change for those on bus loading duty in order to allow more room under the bus. I wonder if there will be strict rules about the amount of luggage members can bring on tour? If not, I feel sorry for the bus loaders. I realize this is not the most important concern for corps, but I would like to hear from some of you after summer tour 2008 if how five more members on each bus and their several pieces of luggage for each member had any effect on the tour.

Understand, I'm not against the increase, but I'm thinking about you all, the members, and how this may very well affect you.

Well, most corps already have pretty strict luggage requirements. I think it makes sense to have an aerobed OR a sleeping bag, as long as you dont bring both. They're almost the same size when rolled up, so no big deal there. As far as regular luggage, anyone who's ever marched knows that you pretty much wear the same pair of shorts every day, and frankly the new busses have more cargo room anyway (comparing the 07 cadets busses to the 06 ones). Point being, im not really worried for them....

add 10 contras, 4 euphs, and a bari.