The nicest "Other" corps

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember touring with the Mandarins through Cali a few years back and they were very supportive and clapped before we went on, also I remember that last year in Seattle or Salem that one of are buses wasn't starting and our drummers got to ride with the SCV Drum Bus back to the housing site, the drumline members were so excited lol. Just a few nice things that I remember happening.

Star of Indiana saved 27th's butts in 1986 (I think) by lending buses. Helped them get thru tour. Awesome! Lancerlady has posted a few kudos to them.

Back when I marched, SCV put us up in their homes when we visited California. Tremendous bunch of people. Mr. Royer even loaded cases of Coors onto the buses before we left (drinking age was 18 - no, we didn't get tanked, there was enough for a beer a piece!)

Also have great memories of comeraderie with Phantom. We toured with them for quite a while and cheered each other on.

Now that I'm older, I figure hanging out with other corps and realizing that we all worked hard, and all deserved ovations is what it was all about. Marching the alumni corps in 1994 with people who had never marched with 27th was sooooo cool. There were North Star, Socialites, Garfield Cadets, and so many more who got to wear the khaki and experience things from our point of view. They also shared THEIR point of view, which was enlightening.

As a member, from age 10-21, there were many times that I would watch corps and applaud like crazy. Many times, when scores were announced, I would be astounded that we beat this corps and that. I admired them so much! I couldn't believe we out-scored them. This applies to corps like the Beverly Cardinals, Garfield Cadets, Emerald Knights, and hundreds of others. (Remember beating the Surfers and being stunned).

Appreciate your competition. Don't bash. EVERYBODY puts a tremendous amount of effort into their show.

I have heard many stories of corps having bus problems, and Star helping them out by loaning them their busses. Even thought they aren't competing anymore, they are still giving back to the activity.

I also seem to remember Boston Crusaders busses having major problems finals week of 99, and another corps(for some reason I am thinking it was Troopers) dropped off their kids at the stadium and went back and picked up Boston so they could make it to the stadium on time for their performances.

And while not a corps, I would also like to mention/thank the judges who pick up guard equipment, mouthpieces, drumsticks, and other items that drop during the course of a performance. Especially when they hand it back to the performer, so they are able to finish out their performance! But even if they just pick it up, it can save someone from stepping on it and getting injured, or damaging the equipment. I wish all judges would do that.

I found the folks from Pioneer have always been extremely friendly with us volunteers from Blue Stars. Ditto Colts. Had folks from Crossmen and Madison help me out a couple of times with the souvie truck and trailer during tour. Blue Knights staff was always there (GM!!). Spirit's folks saved my bacon after the torrential rains in Lubbock (big thanks for that).

Now that I think about it, ALL the corps were awesome this past summer :huh: . I did not have one single negative experience with any corps while on tour this year.

Carolina Crown, Blue Devils, Blue Stars, and Bluecoats and Gold a div III corps from California.

WAY back when................

We always did the home show of the Maple City Cadets. I don't know how the frindhip started but when we hit laporte indiana ( ? ) for their show, they always had a big party for us and there were a few years where they had us over to their houses to spend the night in a real bed ( this was long before blow up beds, we slept on sleeping bags on the floor ). When there were not enough beds, their kids would sleep on the floor just to let us have one good nights sleep in a bed.

What a great time.

It's amazing how some corps got along so well while othere were bitter enemies.

Thank you Maple City Cadets 71 / 72 / 73

In 2003 a lot of corps opened their food trucks to the members of Magic after their food truck broke down.

In 2004, Regiment loaned their horns to Madison after their EQ broke down.

When I marched Americanos - I was loaned horns by: Marion Glory, Madison Scouts, Capital Sound, Colts, and Glassmen. [My horn broke, and other corps would let me use their extras at shows.]