DCI "Places ESPN2 Broadcoast on Hiatus"

Interesting...they put Quarters on in the theaters, webcast semis...what about an HD PPV event. I mean the cameras are there anyway, it would be like buying a seat at Indy only moving it to my living room. It could work. I don't know what it costs to get a PPV Channel access though.

I think they would prefer you buying a real ticket, IMO

If the PPV thing would occur they would probably charge at least $40 a pop.(Which I would pay if I wasnt planning on going to the live event itself.) But would you?

How about Vs (Versus), formerly OLN (Outdoor Living Network)?

#### near killed NHL TV viewing with it's "Every Monday and Tuesday, except when we feel like putting something else on. Don't worry about it, cause we ain't in the TV listings". Then we can have threads about if DCI was already ON the boob tube but no one knew it... :ph34r:

The theater deal makes more sense to me. Problem is Finals could never be shown live as it would cut into the theaters profits unless they pre-book to make sure enough warm money paying bodies show up.

might as well put it on NFL network cause I think only 1/3 of the country has versus. (I dont and I am unable to watch Stars hockey on there :(

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

does anyone else think that dci should become a "for profit" orgainization?

no

it would certainly get cash flowing.

It most certainly would not.

hopefully it changes the direction of modern drum corps programming....and i mean on the field, not on the television. i personally liked the activity more before it seems like we started catering to the espn2 audience.

sucks to hear though, for dci's sake financially.

Time for some directness....when I saw last year's ESPN2's DCI show I was so disgusted with it that I have not bothered to see this year's. I saw so much of it thru the one live show I saw and the webcasts (when they worked, that is) that I was satiated; and I was NOT impressed with the TV product at all from the previous year. The ESPN commercial atmosphere did not serve the activity well.

I think a well-done PPV would serve the corps activity better. I could see groups purchasing the PPV and having viewing parties (such as we used to do in college back during the PBS days); and especially HS bands getting together and building social events around a Finals PPV. As a former director I would have purchased a PPV for my kids; and even suggested multiple purchases within my group. Imagine tens of thousands of bands across the nation doing this...

And I think they would.

hopefully it changes the direction of modern drum corps programming....and i mean on the field, not on the television. i personally liked the activity more before it seems like we started catering to the espn2 audience.

sucks to hear though, for dci's sake financially.

Isnt the ESPN2 audience the same audience that follows DCI?

I mean there arent that many people who dont know about DCI that actually watch the broadcast... they just say "ewwww.... why is marching BAND on ESPN?!?!?! WHERES MY FOOTBALL!!!!"

I've heard many people use the term "closed market" when talking about DCI. The TV broadcasts never struck me as something that would rope in random viewers. Aside from the occasional band director who brings the PBS or ESPN2 broadcast into class, I'm pretty sure that most of the people watching were those who already knew about DCI and wanted to catch the shows before their VHS's/DVD's arrived.

I'm ok with this decision because like I said, I'm part of those who annually budget in $150-$200 for the year's performances. I'll see the shows one way or another, though it would be great to supplement the fans with some sort of online broadcast streaming from the site. They could even sell it to band directors instead of them showing poor-quality VHS recordings off their TV.

This totally, utterly sucks. I hated the ESPN infomercial, but it was something.

Bet the Star haters wish they were still around the activity now.

Oh pleeze. Drum Corps actually did manage to exist and thrive long before Star arrived.

It is entirely possible that Stars management saw the direction that DCI was heading and wanted no part of it. Ever consider that possibility?

Star left the activity 15 years ago. Get over it already.