What's wrong with shows today?

tpt43

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Huh, equals another year gone by with much of corps music forgotten by the next season.

The crumbs, our payback for all of this is the marvelous, wonderful, miraculous, Crown 2007 show. Phantom missed, Vanguard missed, Cadets hit (but missed for all of that #### talking), Boston too was close, but missed, PC (was close to having fun music, but missed due to arrangments), Mandarins were just way off, Blue Stars missed, Crossmen missed, Spirit missed, even Blue Devils missed (in the second half of their show).

This is all about music selection and arrangements.

Dan

Crown had a cute show. I'm not knockin' it at all. I loved them this year. But...I'm a little lost at the part where Wild Horses was more marvelous, wonderful, miraculous, and unforgettable than The Flower Duet, The Firebird Finale -played by several corps this year, Respighi's Church Windows, Ravel's String Quartet in F, Blue Shades (even with all of the #### talking).. Blue Stars were outstanding, the Colts with String Quartet 4 and Troika, Sunset Boulevard...can't help but agree with ya on the Blue Devils (I actually cannot remember anything that they played). I don't disagree that Crown was great this year, but really, Wild Horses? a 45 second quote from William Tell? My cell phone can play that. Happy Ending was cool, but all are hardly less forgettable than any other "selections" this year. If that was your only payback this year, I'm sorry.

it seems like the only shows people really get into anymore are the cute ones.. the ones with concepts that are easily related to, which is completely understandable. But whatever happened to just playing a few kick ### songs and spinning some flags and banging some drums? why is it ALL about the GE? i still enjoy it nowadays, but i'd kill to see the shows from the early 90's again. think about phantom regiment coming out and playing their 91, 93, 94, 95, 96 shows with their hornlines of today, and possibly with MORE now that the 150 member rule has come into effect.

Edited by Dave

While I enjoy most of what I see on the field today with the exception of mic's and way too big of a pit ( considering it's "marching's major league " )

I miss the fact that almost any kid could march corps in the past.

With the direction drum corps has taken, the cost prevents many kids that really need to be in corps, to march.

While the professionalism of the product on the field is of the highest rank, it was supposed to be about kids and we have reached the point that it's become a summer honor band that only the best kids with bucks can march.

I don't know if there is a happy medium to be found but I sense more kids looking at DCA corps where they can keep a summer job and do the weekend warrior type corps.

Hopefully DCA will be able to fill that gap so that ANY and EVERY kid that wants to march, can march.

It sure seems like there are more and more people trying to get DCA corps up and started than DCI corps.

And we could use more goosebumps.

While I enjoy most of what I see on the field today with the exception of mic's and way too big of a pit ( considering it's "marching's major league " )

I miss the fact that almost any kid could march corps in the past.

With the direction drum corps has taken, the cost prevents many kids that really need to be in corps, to march.

While the professionalism of the product on the field is of the highest rank, it was supposed to be about kids and we have reached the point that it's become a summer honor band that only the best kids with bucks can march.

I don't know if there is a happy medium to be found but I sense more kids looking at DCA corps where they can keep a summer job and do the weekend warrior type corps.

Hopefully DCA will be able to fill that gap so that ANY and EVERY kid that wants to march, can march.

It sure seems like there are more and more people trying to get DCA corps up and started than DCI corps.

And we could use more goosebumps.

Yes, any many ways DCA can fill that role. Also, some Open Class corps have "sponsors" that make a marching season possible for a deserving young person who isn't able to otherwise afford the costs.

Let me state for the record that I quoted a thread from another forum. I left it out for discussion.

I did not state that the old days were better than today's drum corps. The author of the statement did.

What I find interesting (or sad) is the fact that the author's friend FELL ASLEEP during shows from the top 8 corps.

Therefore the question was asked. I hope you continue to discuss at length.

I support DCI by purchasing tickets to 3 or more shows a year. I allow my son to march in a DCI corps because I see the value of the drum corps activity to his education and future endeavors.

Yes, I did put it out there. I did not make the quote. Enjoy!

Edited by tpt43

Yes, any many ways DCA can fill that role. Also, some Open Class corps have "sponsors" that make a marching season possible for a deserving young person who isn't able to otherwise afford the costs.

Didn't know that about some Open Class corps, good to hear about it.

Have gone to some Mini Corps events and glad to see some corps have young members in the ranks. Also some non-competative (aka Alumni) corps take in young members without DC experience. So there might be other alternatives if a "kid" can't do the full season competative thing for whatever reason.

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

That's not it! (said in sing-song voice)

While there has been a lot of great things in recent drum corps, I can also understand what these old timers are saying.

I say that while also acknowledging that today while I was riding my motorcycle the 2007 Blue Knights were mostly on playback (inside of my helmet), followed by some Steely Dan and then Fat Bottomed Girls by Queen. It was a great ride.

There were things wrong with past music and there are things wrong with todays esoteric and obscure music. If you can't acknowledge current music problems, then that just shows you have a compromised ear. Take Cavies 07 for example, what happened?! It was the music of Billy Joel for God's sake! I should have completely rocked the house!

And I'm not calling for a return to the music of old (that ain't it), it comes down to music selection and arrangement. If you ain't got that on an accessable point, you're going to have a whole bunch of people going.. huh?... And that shouldn't be.

Huh, equals another year gone by with much of corps music forgotten by the next season.

The crumbs, our payback for all of this is the marvelous, wonderful, miraculous, Crown 2007 show. Phantom missed, Vanguard missed, Cadets hit (but missed for all of that #### talking), Boston too was close, but missed, PC (was close to having fun music, but missed due to arrangments), Mandarins were just way off, Blue Stars missed, Crossmen missed, Spirit missed, even Blue Devils missed (in the second half of their show).

This is all about music selection and arrangements.

Dan

Which all boils down to "taste." You may not like the musical selections and arrangements; however, others may love them. It's entirely subjective -- one (wo)man's opinion over another's. There is no right or wrong.

Edited by dcsnare93

I find it ironic that the same people who want the activity to become more mainstream are the same ones that want the most mainstream elements taken out. Let's face it, symphonic music and marching are hardly as mainstream as electronics and singing. How do you expect drum corps to give people a "radio" single without any electronics or singing? Name one popular single that has neither of those things. If you really want this activity to appeal to a 'mainstream' audience then adding elements that bring it closer to contemporary music is a viable way to go.