George Hopkins vs. Scott Stewart

Poll  

213 members have voted

1. 1. Whose views do you agree with more, and whose plans would you like to see enacted?

• George Hopkins'
    • Scott Stewart's

Dude... would you go into a Mexican restaurant and order Shish Tawook, pita and hommous? How about going into a Kosher deli and ordering pork chops? That's like going to a drum and bugle corps and asking if you can play saxophone with them, or going to a string quartet and asking if you can play accordian with them.

a string quartet would probably let you play accordian with them provided there was a piece for string quartet and accodrian and you had chops. and you know what? the audience would probably eat that #### up. People love that ####, like when Metalica plays with a full symphony orchestra, people go crazy for that ####. but not drum corps though, nope, you get the same instruments every show from every corps. oh wait, didn't phantom use flugelhorns this year? #######, we are so diverse.

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so that's why he sent the International members who couldn't speak English to critique. It wasn't to ridicule the judging panel. OK...got it. And if I spoke with Marty McDaniel, Mark Ponzo, Marie Czapinski, JR Carlisle, etc., they would have seen this as part of Scott's vision for judging improvement and not as a slap in their face.

Yeah....got it.

Let's face it...we all know Scott's vision as well as the man, was not perfect. I believe his failure was not in trying to keep the audience as central in focus. I agree with this. His failure was to realize how the effect of placing more emphasis on the guard was going to really change the scoring outcome. Also, his poking at the judging community didn't endear him to those who decide the placement outcome. It all was fine as long as a top 12 finish was ensured.

I remember well the season of 2000 with Southwind biting at Scouts' tails and the pressure on the Scouts to push. As I remember, the Kossack Brotherhood was not a huge fan favorite, but hey, they still got to perform on Saturday night. By, 2002, the wheels had all but come off the competitive train.

But, again, Scott's guys are now in place in the leadership positions with the Scouts. We will see how well they embody Scott's vision. I think they will do well by it...with some of their own flair mixed in.

IMHO, when you mock the very system and organization that your corps was a FOUNDING MEMBER of, you will get your just desserts. Tword the end of the SS era at madison, it almost seemed like a Scott Stewart Cult of personality to me (as an outsider observing those summers)

That almost fanatical devotion to certian ideals caused many of the problems that madison later encountered..both organizationally and competitivly.

a string quartet would probably let you play accordian with them provided there was a piece for string quartet and accodrian and you had chops. and you know what? the audience would probably eat that #### up. People love that ####, like when Metalica plays with a full symphony orchestra, people go crazy for that ####. but not drum corps though, nope, you get the same instruments every show from every corps. oh wait, didn't phantom use flugelhorns this year? #######, we are so diverse.

If a string quartet let an accordian player perform with them, they'd be a string quartet PLUS an accordian player. It wouldn't be a string quartet.

What if a string quartet got rid of their cello player and replaced him/her with a bass clarinet player. Would they still be a string quartet?

Start: Broken record

Mike, if you want to provide that experience, go start a band circuit. Don't expect DCI to cater to WW's. It's not what drum corps, as a brass and percussion ensemble, is there to serve.

Why not? DCI can if it so chooses. I think it should. WW are not going to happen soon in DCI, though, which IMO is a shame.

If you want to, I can put you in touch with one of the principle people from Summer Bands circuit from the West Coast. He can tell you all about how they organized it, operated it, and shut it down because it failed miserably.

Garry in Vegas

Not remotely the same..that is more akin to local corps circuits...that also failed. The Cadets or BD with WW are still The Cadets or BD.

So?

Really, whatever issue in life, some will have advantages over others. It's a fact of life. Deal with it. I want to be president but I don't want to go through the media scrutiny. So I demand that the whole electoral process be changed so that I can get my name on the ballot because I am at a disadvantage as never having been a politician. It's just not fair and everyone should have the chance.

Change for me, change for ME, CHANGE FOR ME OR ELSE!

But YOU are saying "Don't change for me, don't change for ME, DON'T CHANGE FOR ME OR ELSE!"

DCI is not going to add WW anytime soon, so I don't know what the problem is. IMO they should, but that's just MHO.

The experience is open to anyone. If you don't want to let your muscles deteriorate and you think drum corps will do that to you, don't march. However, thousands have managed to do it quite well and that experience remains open to anyone who wants to take it.

Or...DCI can do the smart thing and legalize all instruments now.

If a string quartet let an accordian player perform with them, they'd be a string quartet PLUS an accordian player. It wouldn't be a string quartet.

What if a string quartet got rid of their cello player and replaced him/her with a bass clarinet player. Would they still be a string quartet?

no they would not be a string quartet, but it wouldn't really matter, there would just be one less string quartet in the world.

i'm not really for woodwinds, i just thought that this whole analogy is pretty irrelevant, because there is no competitive string quartet circuits (none that do tours ala dci anyway, i'm sure there are a few isolated completions for string quartets) so it's not like if the shanghai string quartet decided to come out with two violins, a viola and a bass clarinet(which i think would sound rather nice, assuming you could get a viola that could play in tune) that all string quartets would cease to exist, and have to have that orchestration to "keep up" but, if you legalized wws in dci, they would certainly become ubiquitous because that is the nature of what it is. Like i said before, same horns, every year, every corps. If there was some way to allow woodwinds, but yet not have them be in every corps, i think that would be very cool. However, aside from removing the competitive aspects of DCI, that will never happen.

I'm tired of you people who can't adapt to change or progress.. Get Over It. The activity/idiom must Evolve or Die.

Are you saying that drum corps will die without woodwinds? They are the savior waiting around the bend? Or are you talking about some other innovation lurking out there that will make drum corps bigger than it has ever been before? I'm just curious about what you're getting at.