They're Not Bugles/So Bring On the Woodwinds

And so did the veteran's organizations. They staged contests for marching bands at the state and national levels, just like they did for drum corps. Thing is, like in so many other circuits, the general public showed a preference for drum corps over marching band, expressed in far greater fan attendance and marching membership.

Getting back to MikeD's comment about "relevance" - in the end, it is not MikeD, nor Dale, nor I that decides. The public decides what is relevant. Evidently, the public decided that in the outdoor venues of summer field contests, drum corps was more "relevant" than marching band. Why? I always figured it was because of drum corps' use of instruments designed for the field, thus being more effective there. But this thread raises another possibility. Some people do find history interesting. It is taught in schools; it has a cable channel (several now) devoted to it; museums and landmarks remain tourist attractions - yes, history is a draw in itself. Perhaps the historical connection of drum corps has been part of it's drawing power.

This whole discussion brings me back to a thread I started a while ago about a society to preserve "traditional" drum and bugle corps. (sheez - I dunno, pre DCI ok?). Here's a link, if you care to give a quick read of the post.society for the preservation of traditional drum and bugle corps in America.

I was accosted by people saying it was forcing us to go backwards. People said that's what Alumni corps are for. Some people gave the never ending "times change" lecture. Some people said that there was no need for such a thing because schools now filled that niche, (Hmmm who was that? :ph34r: )

All I said was, "I wished..." Didn't say it had to happen, only that it would be neat - for history's sake. In the same manner as Pipe or fife bands and barbershop quartets, etc.

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Excellence is pushing the boundaries, not removing them.

:ph34r:

Or just start Marching Band International, what is stopping anybody? Either adjust yourselves for the activity or join one that already has what you're looking for.

DCI + WW = My personal line in the sand.

I've been marching and then volunteering for DCI since '92. Once woodwinds are allowed I'm out... and I've been a flute player, professional and otherwise, since '86. Wanna march DCI? Join the pit or learn a brass instrument like every single person before you.

Excellence is pushing the boundaries, not removing them.

I agree wholeheartedly.

In my opinion, everything should continue as it is now... I actually don't mind amplification, as long as all of the screw-ups are found and taken care of before performances. If woodwinds are ever let in to drum corps, that will be when I quit supporting.

I can't really get on board with those that say that adding woodwinds is evolving the activity in some way. There are already activities that involve woowinds, brass, percussion, and colorguard, and it's not just at the high school level.

Change for the sake of change is hardly evolution.

ev·o·lu·tion (v-lshn, v-) KEY

NOUN:

A gradual process in which something changes into a different and usually more complex or better form. See Synonyms at development.

The process of developing.

Gradual development.

So adding woodwinds does not really fall into evolving the activity. It'd be a change, certainly, but I do not see how it would help our activity evolve.

Furthermore, being a music educator, I would not want to see a bunch of woodwind instruments out on a field all summer, the cost of of repair and maintenance alone would make it a bad idea. Granted, those evil marching bands that some of us work with use woodwinds now, but it is hardly on the same usage level as a summer tour would create.

I guess i'm adding to the dead-horses beating, carry on.

I think that it would be cool to have amplified strings and winds as a part of the front ensemble. It would add a great deal to the instrumental color and orchestration possibilities. It doesn't take away from the brass ensemble in any way it just adds musical options. It is not about evolution or devolution it is simply about expanding the musical possibilities and giving "drum corps" a real world ensemble relevance.

For what it's worth, I marched two valve bugles in G with the Velvet Knights, the Freelancers and the Santa Clara Vanguard in the 80s and thought it was great! I'm currently composing the Vanguard Cadets 2008 production "Perspectives." I love drum corps and have since I saw finals as a kid in 1977. I am also currently composing the feature film The Red Canvas starring John Savage, George Takei and Ernie Reyes Jr. you can catch a productions teaser for it at www.redcanvasthemovie.com I regularly record my film music work with symphony orchestras and I write for marching bands and wind ensembles. I have recently learned a good deal about the orchestration limitations writing for drum and bugle corps and only believe that the addition of more musical color would only be a good thing.

Best,

James Peterson

If they chose to not permit amplified voice all of a sudden, I would not particularly like that decision, though I don't care who if anyone in particular actually uses it. But...I would still support the BOD, as IMO they are the ones charged with creating the competitive environment. I'd still support DCI and the corps and attend shows...and not be the least bit unhappy about that part of things.

1. Not the least bit unhappy? At the beginning of this quote, you say you would not like that decision, so I guess you would be a bit unhappy after all.

2. For someone who doesn't care if anyone uses amplified voice, you sure have had a lot to say about it.

3. Maybe it's just the phrasing, but it does sound odd that you say you will "support the BOD" no matter what they decide, while speaking out against their current policies in the same paragraph. By being so vociferous about the dramatic changes you want DCI to make right now, you are fighting the BOD's continuing decision to stick with brass and percussion. As a ticket buyer, you are still "supporting DCI" in that manner - but it is readily apparent that you do not (generally speaking) support their BOD.

why wouldn't you see a preference for a ensemble made of mature player than to one made of high school kids?

switch it around.

it's the 60's/70's

somehow, marching bands are the independent organizations with members up to 21, and summer tours, and the relentless pursuit of perfection. and drum and bugle corps are the public school funded, 18 and under, less mature ensemble. would people have still preferred the national DBC show over the National MB show?

Summer marching bands were/are not limited to age 18 and under. Age rules for junior classes have been the same for drum corps and summer marching band. And, in case you were unaware, there were senior units in marching band as well as corps.

1. Not the least bit unhappy? At the beginning of this quote, you say you would not like that decision, so I guess you would be a bit unhappy after all.

Nope...I said this...

I'd still support DCI and the corps and attend shows...and not be the least bit unhappy about that part of things.

My enjoyment of DCI shows is not based on one particular rule. Yes, I would hope that they do not roll back progress, but if they do, so be it. It won't impact my enjoyment of the corps and their performances.

2. For someone who doesn't care if anyone uses amplified voice, you sure have had a lot to say about it.

I want as few restriction as I can get in what a corps can use on the field. That in no way means I care what a particular corps...or group of corps...decides to use in the shows they design. As long as I like the show, great. I like what the Cadets have done lately, more so than earlier this century, but I also like what others have done who have not used amplified voice at all, such as Regiment and Blue Knights. That's the point of the staffs having the freedom to use those elements they want in the shows they design.

3. Maybe it's just the phrasing, but it does sound odd that you say you will "support the BOD" no matter what they decide, while speaking out against their current policies in the same paragraph. By being so vociferous about the dramatic changes you want DCI to make right now, you are fighting the BOD's continuing decision to stick with brass and percussion. As a ticket buyer, you are still "supporting DCI" in that manner - but it is readily apparent that you do not (generally speaking) support their BOD.

I am giving MHO on what I'd like to see. It in no way impacts my enjoyment of what "is", and I also realize that the BOD gets the final call, as is proper. I still have mhy own opinions on what I'd like to see happen, so IMO it's not odd at all.

Isn't drum corps like an exclusive club? Not that it discriminates in terms of relative equality but in terms of content. Like a Corvette club only allows Corvettes - you got a Porche - go join a Porche club. Or a kennel club for say Great Danes. You got a wire hair terrier, that's cool, go join one of those clubs.

Is it not that simple?

I think that it would be cool to have amplified strings and winds as a part of the front ensemble. It would add a great deal to the instrumental color and orchestration possibilities. It doesn't take away from the brass ensemble in any way it just adds musical options. It is not about evolution or devolution it is simply about expanding the musical possibilities and giving "drum corps" a real world ensemble relevance.

Why is it necessary, though to have those options? When do we stop adding extra options, how far can we go? Drum and bugle corps is an art form that has boundaries: specific instruments, specific space on the field, and usually a specific time frame. What you do within those boundaries is up to you. Go crazy!

Remember Madison Scouts 1987, when they closed with "Stars & Stripes Forever"? They had a piccolo soprano player (Dan Ritacco) play the piccolo part of the trio. Would it be as great as it was if it was a section of (actual) piccolos playing it? It wouldn't be the same. It was cool BECAUSE it was done within the instrumentation limits! How about Phantom Regiment 1996 when the sopranos did that fast violin soli in at the beginning of the closer? Would it have been better with actual violins? It wouldn't have been the same. It was cool because it was done within the instrumentation limits, and the same musical ideas were expressed. Thinking outside of drum corps for a second, have you ever heard the Swingle Singers? Or a jazz choir singing one of their arrangements? What makes it cool is that they take the Marriage Of Figaro Overture, or a Bach invention or something, and sing it using scat syllables. They take music originally composed for one type of instrumentation, and perform it with another, for that sake.

So I think you DO take away from the brass if you add strings or woodwinds, even if it's one person mic'ed in the pit. Make it work with the brass players, find a way! For MANY DECADES drum corps have been arranging music for brass and percussion instruments that weren't originally played by brass instruments. We have not run out of ideas! There are plenty of stones yet unturned. There are still infinite possibilities within the current boundaries. Let's stay within them.