Blue Knights

I really liked the direction they took in '02 - they really, *really* grabbed the crowd in San Antonio and took us off with them. I know the '03 show isn't as highly regarded, but I very much enjoyed that one too - Kaval Sviri (the opener) still has one of those drum-corps-classic sort of first minutes.

The '01 show is a bit underrated, in hindsight. Yes, the placement tanked, but they had some very nice musical moments in there - An American in Paris was very well done, and if you closed your eyes and didn't listen to the name of the group, you would have guessed it was a much higher-scoring group.

Mike

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I really liked the direction they took in '02 - they really, *really* grabbed the crowd in San Antonio and took us off with them. I know the '03 show isn't as highly regarded, but I very much enjoyed that one too - Kaval Sviri (the opener) still has one of those drum-corps-classic sort of first minutes.

And that is specifically why I am in love with 03. It is so haunting, and that hornline on the first "hit" was absolutely fabulous. I wish I could have seen this show live, and for anyone who hasn't heard it or even the original, I really suggest looking it up.

Here's a link to a recording (not drum corps) of it. It just lasts with you forever, and I remember listening to it a lot while driving to all days in 05 with my roommates. Kaval Sviri

i saw kaval sviri on a friend's ipod once and was really surprised that people outside of drum corps/the blue knights (im sure most people who march corps aren't familiar with it anyway, haha) have heard of the piece.

'03 opener was my favorite moment of their show. i think they were definitely a finalist that year.

To go along with what "Oouga" is saying, being a BK alumni member, it sure is nice to hear folks speak up about their love for the corps. What I love about them (among many things) is how their vis. staff (Rob Billings and Roger St. Vincent) have stuck to their collective guns and developed a style and look that NOBODY else has.

It is unique.

It is fresh.

It is different.

What's awesome is if you look back at the 97-99 seasons, when they first started to get into their "style", and then, look at this past season and see how far along they have come...amazing!

Here's a tip of the ol' hat to you BK, thanks for doing what you do!

p.s. Bring back your cymbal line!!!

Musically, in my opinion, I think that the 2003 Blue Knights was the best 13th place corps seen in years (for that particular placement). Personally, I think they should have made the bottom twelve but the past is the past. The dark and raw sound of the opener would have been a totally different experience if it was a Bb/F line. I'm glad they were still on Bugles then! The bugle edge can really portray a lot of emotion and effect when paired up and applied to a piece like that opener was. I'm not saying the show was perfect heh but definitely a GREAT one.

Musically, in my opinion, I think that the 2003 Blue Knights was the best 13th place corps seen in years (for that particular placement). Personally, I think they should have made the bottom twelve but the past is the past. The dark and raw sound of the opener would have been a totally different experience if it was a Bb/F line. I'm glad they were still on Bugles then! The bugle edge can really portray a lot of emotion and effect when paired up and applied to a piece like that opener was. I'm not saying the show was perfect heh but definitely a GREAT one.

Just to add my small bit of trivia, the Blue Knights have more 13th places than any other corps.

The more you know....(this is where the star from NBC comes flying by)

I can't speak for anybody else, but I'm talking about the shows. Their choice of rep and their presentation, together. I'm EXTREMELY thankful for what you find EXTREMELY boring. Can't wait for next year. :laughing:

agreed.

~>conner

p.s. Bring back your cymbal line!!!

id be scared to see what bk would/could do with a cymbal line.