Your Corps Song

bumo27

Amen.........and we were always up for a party, right Robbie?

J

Used to look forward to it.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Amen.........and we were always up for a party, right Robbie?

J

You bet!!

In the spirit of Chris' original post, I'm going with my Jr. Corps corps song.

When you walk through a storm

Hold your head up high

And don't be afraid of the Dark

At the end of the storm

There's a golden sky

And the sweet silver song of a lark

Walk on through the wind

Walk on through the rain

Though your dreams be tossed and blown

Walk on, Walk on

With hope in your heart

And you'll never walk alone

You'll never walk alone

One of the truly great songs adopted by Madison and made it their own. The G.A.S. Reunion had adopted it for a while as well and used to sing it at the close of the Saturday Evening Banquet (which incidently has been attended by over 600 people). I haven't been to the G.A.S. recently but have every intention of attending in 2008 since it's up in Toronto. I know I get teary eyed sometime when I've had occasion to sing it.

Just an aside and maybe something that could be better addressed on the Bus Songs thread.......back in the before time.......at after contest parties, corps would entertain each other (some would) with all kinds of skits, song, etc. One prime instigator was Archie, known for it's song and skits. We'd get all in attendance to sing every song we could think of or get others to think of. One thing that always got the party started was a George M. medley, which started with "Give My Regards to Broadway" and ended with "Pack Up Your Troubles in Your Old Kit Bag"....

Just curious how many of youse guys remember those parties and the songs (and camraderie) that we all shared?

J

ALL of those post GAS Saturday evening banquet parties were nothing BUT singing "Sweet Maryann O'Shay", "2 Little Lovers", "In the Cottage Next To Mine" (to name just a few), into the the George M. "Medley". And all conducted by "Guido the Leprechaun". :dry:

Right you are Mike and we received permission from Madison and the arranger to use that arrangement. Wow, that was waaaaay back in '88 or '89? Also one of Archie's favorites

One of the truly great songs adopted by Madison and made it their own. The G.A.S. Reunion had adopted it for a while as well and used to sing it at the close of the Saturday Evening Banquet (which incidently has been attended by over 600 people). I haven't been to the G.A.S. recently but have every intention of attending in 2008 since it's up in Toronto. I know I get teary eyed sometime when I've had occasion to sing it.

Right you are Mike and we received permission from Madison and the arranger to use that arrangement. Wow, that was waaaaay back in '88 or '89? Also one of Archie's favorites

OH!!! And another thing. I wonder how many of the present Skyliners know who were the four people who put the lyrics to "Garbarina"? And what the connection between Archie and the Skyliners is/was "back-in-the-day". And I wonder how many of them can name at least 2 other Skyliner Corps songs without having to go look them up in any of the Skyliner anniversay books? And none of thoseback of the bus songs either, I mean Corps songs! :dry:

LOLOLOL........some history in your post, eh? What about it Sky?

OH!!! And another thing. I wonder how many of the present Skyliners know who were the four people who put the lyrics to "Garbarina"? And what the connection between Archie and the Skyliners is/was "back-in-the-day". And I wonder how many of them can name at least 2 other Skyliner Corps songs without having to go look them up in any of the Skyliner anniversay books? And none of thoseback of the bus songs either, I mean Corps songs! :dry:

I think Archer-Epler's "Musketeer March" and the Buccaneers' "Affair to Remember"-themed corps song are two of the most stirring corps songs ever. I never get tired of hearing those songs!

Fran

Fran, two times this year the Bucs' corps song brought me to tears -- the first was at Big Sounds in Motion, when a few hundred Buccaneers alumni were on the field together, conducted by Josh Decker and George Parks together, to sing the song. It was our 50th anniversary home show, and the youngest current Buccaneer was literally standing near the very first Buccaneer. It was glorious!

The second was a couple Saturdays ago at the year-end banquet at the Sheraton Reading Hotel -- more than 300 people on their feet to sing the song to end a magical evening. It was without a doubt the best version of the song I've heard -- it was so full of spirit, meaning, pride and emotion.

If Statesmen has an "official" corps song, I've never heard/sang it.

There are some particularly memorable other songs... but I won't get into that here :laughing:

...Let's just say my first long bus ride (Rochester to Wildwood, NJ) was both educational and hilarious.

I wouldn't trade my drum corps experience for anything in the world.

Gotta love the bus rides.