Your Corps Song

bumo27

Fran, two times this year the Bucs' corps song brought me to tears -- the first was at Big Sounds in Motion, when a few hundred Buccaneers alumni were on the field together, conducted by Josh Decker and George Parks together, to sing the song. It was our 50th anniversary home show, and the youngest current Buccaneer was literally standing near the very first Buccaneer. It was glorious!

The second was a couple Saturdays ago at the year-end banquet at the Sheraton Reading Hotel -- more than 300 people on their feet to sing the song to end a magical evening. It was without a doubt the best version of the song I've heard -- it was so full of spirit, meaning, pride and emotion.

August 30 in Reading and our corps song....brings tears to my eyes just thinking back Tom.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes Terri - Sun's corps song.

Battle Hymn of the Republic.

But instead of the actual words, everything was Laaa'ed.

Probably because they knew we'd be half in the bag on the way home from shows, and people would mess up the words.

:laughing:

But it sure sounded great with the harmonies. :)

Good memories of standing in the center of the circle, right arm raised fingers pointed high, and Jaimie or Marty starting us off. God that seems like a lifetime ago.

Yeah, but do you know Bobo?

Yes. :thumbup:

Yes I do.

And Bebo. :huh:

Me, too... :lol::smile:

As Chris mentioned the Cabs don’t have a corps song, not sure why but by the time I got there, the corps was all ready 33 years old and did pretty well without one.

I did have to learn "INY" on my first Bus trip and some other song I can’t repeat in mixed company (we were all male at the time)

Classic!!!!

yeah that sounds like a bus song... Should have been left on the bus. Because we all know that

"what happens on the bus stays on the bus"

Amen Mr. Ryan.

Fran, two times this year the Bucs' corps song brought me to tears -- the first was at Big Sounds in Motion, when a few hundred Buccaneers alumni were on the field together, conducted by Josh Decker and George Parks together, to sing the song. It was our 50th anniversary home show, and the youngest current Buccaneer was literally standing near the very first Buccaneer. It was glorious!

The second was a couple Saturdays ago at the year-end banquet at the Sheraton Reading Hotel -- more than 300 people on their feet to sing the song to end a magical evening. It was without a doubt the best version of the song I've heard -- it was so full of spirit, meaning, pride and emotion.

I couldn't make the banquet, but I agree, Tom, at the Big Sounds in Motion show, it was an incredible moment.

When we, the Alumni corps finished, the Buccaneers came on the field behind us. A couple nuzzled into our ranks and said, "We were told to mingle".

We all shouldered up to one another and began to sing our hearts out. When finished, the young lady next to me said, "Wow! I've never heard it like that before!" "You guys really know how to sing it - you've got a great voice!"

I replied, "I've been singing it for over 30 years, once in awhile... I sound pretty good."

I hope when some of those marchers can no longer commit to a field show, they consider our own Alumni corps.

We could sure use the help.

Lee gave me a cool idea when he posted the words to Sky's corps song.

First off, and this thread can be shut down if there's too much controversy:

Do you consider your corps song so sacred that the lyrics to it can never be written down or posted anywhere?

If you don't HAVE a corps song, what does your corps do/say before or after every performance as a group? Like, I know Cabs don't have a corps song, but they all say something together as a corps before they perform.

I'll start it off, and I know it's okay to post Bush's corps song, because it's printed on our website. :laughing:

The Perfect Year (melody is from The Perfect Year from the Andrew Lloyd Webber musical "Sunset Boulevard", although the lyrics have been changed.

Another season, hopes are high, dance one year in, kiss one goodbye

Another chance, another start, so many dreams to stir the heart

All we need is one another, everything we want is here

If you're with me, this year will be...

A season's wish to share with you, together in magenta and blue

And side by side we'll face the test, Bushwacker pride, surpass the rest

And face to face, we will embrace

The Perfect Year

What say you, DCA?

The corps song of the Crusaders Sr. Corps of Boston is called "Giant" and it is sung before every performance and played as a brass warm up at the start of our field shows. Some times the Boston Crusaders junior corps plays it as a warmup too, though the two corps usually play different arrangements. In 1992 or 1993, we had the same arrangement and performed it once together in what was an emotional moment. The melody of Giant comes from a movie, and the Boston Crusader junior corps played it as part of their field routine (along with percussion) in 1958. The words:

This corps is made of Giants,

We will never die,

For we are Crusaders,

True Blue Crusaders,

We are Crusaders,

The corps we love.

Corps we love.

Then someone usually shout, "Eat'em up Boston" and we are ready to go.

Lee gave me a cool idea when he posted the words to Sky's corps song.

First off, and this thread can be shut down if there's too much controversy:

Do you consider your corps song so sacred that the lyrics to it can never be written down or posted anywhere?

If you don't HAVE a corps song, what does your corps do/say before or after every performance as a group? Like, I know Cabs don't have a corps song, but they all say something together as a corps before they perform.

I'll start it off, and I know it's okay to post Bush's corps song, because it's printed on our website. :laughing:

The Perfect Year (melody is from The Perfect Year from the Andrew Lloyd Webber musical "Sunset Boulevard", although the lyrics have been changed.

Another season, hopes are high, dance one year in, kiss one goodbye

Another chance, another start, so many dreams to stir the heart

If you're with me, this year will be...

A season's wish to share with you, together in magenta and blue

And side by side we'll face the test, Bushwacker pride, surpass the rest

And face to face, we will embrace

The Perfect Year

What say you, DCA?

The MOST beautifull sound I EVER heard..."ST Josephs"(Batavia)

With Holiday regards to Frank Pennepento, Ricki Samesel, Suggarbear, Jimmie DiPaola, Sully, Jimmy Allen, Donnie Allen and Joey Eduardo(special props to Ms Ricci/Alpine girls)

HAPPY HOLIDAYS

• 1 month later...

Frontier's started off as 'Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Me', but it was changed during the 2007 season to 'Bridge Over Troubled Water'. The 2007 was a turbulent one. We pushed through a number of almost insurmountable challenges and became a better and stronger corps in the process. The song truly reflects the 'heart' of the corps, and we sing it at the conclusion of every rehearsal, and at the beginning and end of every performance.

:tongue: Well now! Shen Sound doesn't have a corps song! :guinesssmilie:

:thumbup: I know lets sing "Oh Shenandoah" :thumbup:

We handed out the music at our last practice. I can't wait to try it out. :thumbup:

Been more than a few years and I ain't that familiar with it anymore. :smile: Heh, I can still remember some of the dirty songs we sang about other corps :shutup:

With an assist from Jaminben (Westshore/Buccs drummer) with notes from both of us

Westshoremen (tune of The Happy Wanderer) (started before 1974)

Oh We're the corps from Harrisburg ('corps' used to be 'boys')

You've heard so much about

and we're the corps that drinks the beer ('boys' again)

Whenever we go out

Valdaree valdarah valdaree valda rah hah hah hah hah hah

Valdaree valdarah Whenever we go out

So Mother's hide your daughters

And hide your sister's too (some females add a few words that I never caught)

Cuz we don't care what happens

We're the corps in Satin Blue (Black and blue/powder blue/royal blue as the uni changed)

Valdaree valdarah valdaree valda rah hah hah hah hah hah

Valdaree valdarah Whenever we go out

Whenever we go ouuuuuuuutttttttttt

Makes for a nice parade tune if you mumble the first two lines of the second verse. :thumbup:

Tisk tisk oh Jim...dont forget the last two lines:

Salunga !!

Rolllll out Larry Hershman (or what ever director is around)

-you'll see Sunday at REHEARSAL-we gotta talk some more about that band that will be gigging in your back yard the weekend of Serenade LOL

Edited by boomboom