WGI judges

la mejor

I definitely have to take issue with the notion that a good judge must be able to actually perform the skills they are evaluating. I would venture to guess that the majority of equipment and movement judges out there could not perform all of the skills the world class guards are doing. That does not prohibit them from evaluating others.

That's pretty standard everywhere. You think Olympic gymnastics or figure skating judges can perform the skills they evaluate? No way, but they still understand the technique involved. You think the average Miss America judge looks great in a swimsuit? Not likely, but they can tell who does. Even in our own activity, music judges at band contests cannot play every band instrument at a high level. That doesn't keep them from recognizing and rewarding a quality performance.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would venture to guess that the majority of equipment and movement judges out there could not perform all of the skills the world class guards are doing.

i agree....but wouldn't it be marvelous fun to see some of them try? :laughing:

Absolutely! The judges should perform in exhibition between SW and IW finals each year!

there would no doubt be a huge spike in attendance if this were to become the case,winter guard fans that haven't shown up for finals in years would come from far and wide to witness such a spectacle. :shutup:

btw we might be suprised by a few of them too! :thumbup:...afterall....."once a showgirl,always a showgirl"! :laughing:

*former member of the "new hope" "no hope" modern dancers!

Edited by dugg

Judges should be able to have that eye to determine and qualify their scores beyond just cleanliness.

when it comes to ballet,i used to think the "cecchetti method" was a form of italian birth control! :thumbup:

seriously though,the movement judge has an enormous responsibility and their job is the hardest of the lot.from the moment the guard begins to move they must evaluate,grade and credit non-stop until each program is completed.how well a guard moves effects everything in thier program.christine clayton is the wgi movement caption facilitator and her knowledge,ethics and expertise speak volumes.

Edited by dugg

• 2 weeks later...

So what's the deal? Why the mass exodus of so many big-time judges? Something must have happened. I doubt WGI would give that many people the boot in one blow. Something must have happened to make them all up and leave.

triple threat george oliveiro is one of the best minds in the artform well versed in judging G.E.,ensemble and movement. :smile:

several big names are absent including one of wgi's founding members doyenne marie czapinski.perhaps she's on sabbatical or a much needed respite. :thumbup:

the only member of last years wgi acadamy given the "key to the executive washroom" :doh: was tim landess from indiana judging equipment.

i beleive that double panels are but a memory. :smile:

after this weekends meeting perhaps more "news" will be forthcoming. :smile:

So what's the deal? Why the mass exodus of so many big-time judges? Something must have happened. I doubt WGI would give that many people the boot in one blow. Something must have happened to make them all up and leave.

Something definitely happened alright. Basically, several resigned to show their support for a colleague who was let go without what they felt was due process. At least that's what I hear...

correct!

caution!thread tread lightly! :lol:

my previous rather glib and tongue-in-cheek post addressing this turn of events was succinctly and summarily removed. :lol:

btw those miscreant :withstupid: "colleague" given the pink slip were mike turner and michael gray.

i haven't seen a militant splinter faction group like this since the bader-meinhoff gang. :lol:

compatriots in absentia this year are luminaries like bruno zuccola,shirley dorrite,curtis constanza,mike anderson,kyle miller.

....to everything turn,turn,turn.....there is a season.......

ecclesiastes 3 verse 8

Edited by dugg

correct!

caution!thread tread lightly! :worthy:

my previous rather glib and tongue-in-cheek post addressing this turn of events was succinctly and summarily removed. :tongue:

btw those miscreant "colleague" given the pink slip were mike turner and michael gray.

i haven't seen a militant splinter faction group like this since the bader-meinhoff gang. :ph34r:

compatriots in absentia this year are luminaries like bruno zuccola,curtis constanza,mike anderson,kyle miller.

....to everything turn,turn,turn.....there is a season.......

ecclesiastes 3 verse 8

Just a little something I heard this week. I am kind of amused at this.....It has been repeated that maybe BOA is considering holding Scholastic Championships? Could the Judges who left.....willingly or other.........be scooped up by BOA ? What would happen to all of the advertising dollars that scholastic activities promote ? I wonder if maybe the machine.....needs a tune-up? Has anyone else heard of anything like this.......I find it very very interesting.

Just a little something I heard this week. I am kind of amused at this.....It has been repeated that maybe BOA is considering holding Scholastic Championships? Could the Judges who left.....willingly or other.........be scooped up by BOA ? What would happen to all of the advertising dollars that scholastic activities promote ? I wonder if maybe the machine.....needs a tune-up? Has anyone else heard of anything like this.......I find it very very interesting.

Scholastic Championships in what activity? Im sure we all know now that BOA/MFA hold their marching band regionals and grand nationals during the fall months every year and also include their Honor Band/Orchestra of America and National Concert Band Festival.