WGI judges

la mejor

I do not have any further information on the BOA thing.......other than to say that it was told to me in a manner that lead me to believe that BOA might want to hold WinterGuard Scholastic Championships? The information was very sketchy to me....but I found it to be very interesting. I myself have never been to a BOA event........but have been told that they are very involved in the Scholastic colorguard and Percussion?? With all of the judges unrest.....and their current departures from WGI....I`m sure its just wild rumors ??? Needless to say......interesting because there seems to be a huge growth in the colorguard activity at the scholastic level......and the thought of Colorguard/Winterguard having a second National Championship.........other than WGI.....is kind of ......well......interesting.....and disturbing! :satisfied:

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Needless to say......interesting because there seems to be a huge growth in the colorguard activity at the scholastic level......and the thought of Colorguard/Winterguard having a second National Championship.........other than WGI.....is kind of ......well......interesting.....and disturbing! :satisfied:

WGI/DCI/DCA World Championships v. BOA Grand National Championships... There is a difference, even if it's only semantic.

If MFA/BOA were to jump onto the indoor scene, I'm sure USSBA wouldn't be far behind. I'm a firm believer in interdependence. The more, the better.

Well, I think BOA is much more philosophically aligned with scholastic groups. WGI is a country club that caters to the IW and SW class. They don't really care about anyone else. Every decision WGI makes is about the dollar and not about the growth of the activity. They kill regionals in developing areas and make it very hard for "outsiders" to break into the upper ranks.

I do not have any further information on the BOA thing.......other than to say that it was told to me in a manner that lead me to believe that BOA might want to hold WinterGuard Scholastic Championships? The information was very sketchy to me....but I found it to be very interesting. I myself have never been to a BOA event........but have been told that they are very involved in the Scholastic colorguard and Percussion?? With all of the judges unrest.....and their current departures from WGI....I`m sure its just wild rumors ??? Needless to say......interesting because there seems to be a huge growth in the colorguard activity at the scholastic level......and the thought of Colorguard/Winterguard having a second National Championship.........other than WGI.....is kind of ......well......interesting.....and disturbing! :whistle:

Well, I think BOA is much more philosophically aligned with scholastic groups. WGI is a country club that caters to the IW and SW class. They don't really care about anyone else. Every decision WGI makes is about the dollar and not about the growth of the activity. They kill regionals in developing areas and make it very hard for "outsiders" to break into the upper ranks.

Can you give examples of how they cater to IW and SW? And sometimes, the growth of the activity equates to dollar growth. Even a non-profit organization can't lose money, business is business.

Edited by zackiedude

Is WGI Non-Profit?

I don't see much evidence that they kill regionals in developing areas. Take a look at the sign-ups for the regionals and see which regionals are hurting for units to attend and which ones have waiting lists.

Here's what I don't understand, and if I'm wrong, please correct me. A regular regional has a limit of 45 units and a Power Regional has a limit of 90, right? Then why am I seeing Power Regional registrations being closed once they reach 70 or so units?

WGI/DCI/DCA World Championships v. BOA Grand National Championships... There is a difference, even if it's only semantic.

If MFA/BOA were to jump onto the indoor scene, I'm sure USSBA wouldn't be far behind. I'm a firm believer in interdependence. The more, the better.

I think BOA would have a better shot at it than USSBA would simply because BOA's setup of regionals and a championship is already similar to WGI.

If USSBA were to enter the indoor scene with the setup that they use for marching band (local shows, state championships, region championships and a national championship), I don't think they would be successful in their home base of the Mid-Atlantic states. Just in those states alone you have TIA, MAIN, KIDA, Cavalcade, MAC, TRWEA, AIA, Mid-York and North East circuits. A fair number of units here are competing in 2 circuits plus WGI. Plus you have to look at the other areas of the indoor activity. Percussion is growing, and schools like to have their guard and their percussion attending the same shows when possible.

we'll keep a close watch on this color guard coup d'e'tat :tongue: meanwhile my sources tell me that wgi equipment judges have recently been issued a edict on judging *"non traditional equipment" [refer to the debate over aimachi's batons].

whether it's boards,batons,bumpershoots or bedpans it's all about time,weight,space and .......flow! :ph34r:

what are your thoughts?

*anything other than rifle,sabre or flag.

Edited by dugg