Competition has no place in music education

No professor I had would ever dream of saying such things. Every good music education professor today knows that competition is a major part of the job description. It's how competition is handled that is being taught in universities now, not so much for or against. Or at least in reputable music ed programs.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The reality is that humans are naturally competitive. No matter what we choose to endeavour, their will always be those who wish to be known as the person who does it the fastest, longest, or best.

And then there are those who do things just to do them and don't care about being the fastest, longest, or best. Based on those people, one could say humans are naturally non-competitive.

And there are humans who like to do everything on their own. Based on those people, one could say humans are loners, solo operatives.

And there are humans who like to do everything in groups. Based on those people, one could say humans are cooperative beasties.

And there are humans....

TAFL

No competition in music education?

Honors Band, County Band, States Band, first chair, solos are all competative. Scores aren't given or announced but it's still trying to better others to get these spots.

The reality is that humans are naturally competitive. No matter what we choose to endeavour, their will always be those who wish to be known as the person who does it the fastest, longest, or best.

Sure, but education should prepare you for the competition...not be the competition itself.

I had several professors say that while I was a music major.

Of course they said this a couple of days before the music department sponsored a HUGE piano competition.

Edited by EKBari

Sure, but education should prepare you for the competition...not be the competition itself.

But how are you supposed to prepare people to compete if you don't put them in a competitive situation? Only by performing do you learn how to perform, and only by competing do you come to understand competition, no matter the stakes.

Without competition, music just doesn't feel complete. Copetition is how you become better and push yourself to a new level. :tongue:

But how are you supposed to prepare people to compete if you don't put them in a competitive situation? Only by performing do you learn how to perform, and only by competing do you come to understand competition, no matter the stakes.

I don't think the purpose of education is to teach you how to compete. It is to provide you the tools so you will be able to compete.

Without competition, music just doesn't feel complete. Copetition is how you become better and push yourself to a new level. :tongue:

Doesn't always test out that way in studies, though. I suppose it depends on what you think the purpose of education is. There are all kinds of things people will have to deal with "in the real world" that aren't useful in education.

Edited by Tekneek

I had professors who forbade me from marching corps, because I never had the opportunity to practice (I'm a vocalist). I sort of don't blame them for feeling that way, though. I didn't come back as polished as everyone else did, and it did make a difference. It hurt me then, but corps was better for me in the long run.

Also, a lot of professors hate corps because they don't know that it's evolved into something closer to a formal musical education - now we learn skills that we can take with us into the concert arena. We also learn a lot of skills that should stay on the field, but if you're a good enough musician, you will know what technique belongs where. They don't think of all that. They all think it's still all about blasting at FFFFF for 10 weeks. Hopefully, professors of tomorrow will be more tuned in to the musical skills and life skills you learn.

That said, I have had several music professors who marched corps.

Also, anyone who has been in music school knows that competition is fierce. In the performing arts, competition is just part of the package. I find it to be motivating when I hear someone performing at a higher level than I do.

Edited by CapRegBari