Marching Web Game

Mr. Lesko,

A few thoughts:

1. I assume you're storing the coordinates for the marchers in a multi-dimensional array, interpolating the path between each coordinate for each marcher, and setting the "step-size" (and tempo) for each unit based on the length of the path of the marcher who moves the farthest? Maybe you could store a tempo for each set (which of course would stay at the default the user chose so they don't have to set the tempo for every set if they don't want to change it from the default tempo they set at the beginning)?

2. I know that an old drill program that my former HS director used had an option to use the space bar to manually set the tempo of the drill. He would play the midi file, and then just hit the space bar with the tempo the midi. Maybe that's standard for drill programs..I don't know, but maybe you could add a feature like that? Even to the point of having an option to "record" the keypresses (or rather, the time between each keypress) and saving that data so the user (and later on, the viewer) doesn't have to hit the space bar once they've recorded a set of keypresses they are satisfied with. I assume some sort of rounding (a chron-istic snap-to-grid, if you will) would be applied.

edit: http://www.sonicspot.com/guide/midifiles.html has good information on the MIDI spec, including how to calculate the tempo (or tempi?) for a given file.

3. Awesome job. The source code is quite a bit longer than I originally expected. No doubt you've put quite a bit of thought into this, so I'm sorry if I'm just repeating stuff you've already thought of.

4. Oops, one more thought. Do you plan on implementing collision-detection? I know that's probably a ##### of a problem, and one that has a relatively low return-on-investment considering the work involved. Would you just disallow moves upon creation and draw the user's attention to the area(s) with problems? Or for comic effect, you could have the sprites fall on their sides, and just let it happen so it would be a lesson to the drill-writer. Maybe this could be an option that could be toggled?

Edited by Jayzer

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jayzer, thanks for the great feedback.

Maybe you could store a tempo for each set

Yep, some kind of speed control (per set) will be in the first update. It will be seconds-based though, not in BPM or counts. I still want to let people concentrate on designing the forms and controlling the pace without worrying about the logistics.

edit: http://www.sonicspot.com/guide/midifiles.html has good information on the MIDI spec, including how to calculate the tempo (or tempi?) for a given file.

Integration with music is a pretty big can of worms. I'd like to do something with it eventually, and have some ideas on that, but it's really a long term thing.

Or are you looking for a way to just synch it with a sound file on your end?

Do you plan on implementing collision-detection?

Ha, I have thought of it, yes, but I don't think I want to be responsible for the massacre of thousands of marchers. =)

It would be funny to watch, but it would make serious drill writing tedious, and I don't want to get inundated with hundreds of shows with members smashing into each other on purpose. Right now, if you want, you can just force yourself to write realistic pass-throughs, which usually end up looking better than the less realistic ones anyway.

Also, technically, I want to avoid the performance hit of checking collisions between 64+ members.

More likely, I might eventually allow "mistakes" to happen, like an occasional fall, or a missed set, or even a missing member. Speaking of collisions, I'm surprised no one has asked for on-field judges, yet. =)

Thanks

Edited by shaggy94

For those of us doing this between customers... A SAVE FEATURE!!! At about 19 pages of a "non Cavaliers curvilinear drill that had more meshing and pass throughs going through it then I've ever wrote".... I had a moron coworker ... CLICK OFF MY WINDOW !!!!!!! And I've been on it for 5 hours because this has been "waste my time with stupid questions day".

Grrrr......

:)

For those of us doing this between customers... A SAVE FEATURE!!! At about 19 pages of a "non Cavaliers curvilinear drill that had more meshing and pass throughs going through it then I've ever wrote".... I had a moron coworker ... CLICK OFF MY WINDOW !!!!!!! And I've been on it for 5 hours because this has been "waste my time with stupid questions day".

Grrrr......

:)

....grrr.... and I have been in meetings all day, plus grocery shopping and going to the school about that report card thing. I want to try again but will let others try first. This is too much fun and cool but I'll let his computer digest. Good job, everyone. :innocent: BTW I am not a drill writer.

Edited by lindap

I know it's really useless, but it'd be cool and aesthetically pleasing to have some drummers and guard out there. maybe you could have some sort of menu to be able to choose how many horn players, drummers, etc? I don't know how hard that would be, but it'd be cool.

The Best show I've seen so far!!!

http://www.micromarching.com/show.php?showID=599

she should have named it Rated R!