The Military Draft

In another thread about St. Kevin's 1964/65 show, someone posted that the draft during the Vietnam War days played a role in depleting corps. I posted the following reply which I feel belongs on it's own thread:

"It's true about the role of the military draft...............somewhat.

At the urging of a drummer friend with whom I worked part time after school at Planter's Peanuts, I attended the "Starlight Drum Fiesta" contest hosted by St. Brendan's Cadets in Clifton NJ Stadium (home of the Grand Prix) in 1962. Our Lady of Lorreto won. I loved that sound and soon joined Fairlawn (NJ) Police Cadets 1963 (one contest...Ridgewood NJ....last place......folded........later merged with Dumont Police Cadets without me).

In 1966 while in college, along with group of friends, sponsored "Brass by Night" (no relation to the Fleetwood album, but that's where we picked the contest name) junior contest at Hinchliffe Stadium, Paterson (lost our shirts!)

Joined Doremus Sr in 1966..... good parade corps......we organized for field for 1967...... held first outdoor practice Sunday........got draft notice Monday. (Caught hell in basic training on "rear march" by adding mark-time-2 automatically)"

----------THIS WAS NOT IN POST--------------

While I was in the service (1967-70 active duty), MANY corps folded......... the draft was taking boys off the street who were prime local drum corps types.........good character, physical shape, etc...

I couldn't join since then because I stayed in military through Reserves and National Guard for 23 additional years.....

-----------RESUMING ORIGINAL POST---------

"Haven't marched a step since..... still die hard corps fan, particularly first love Cabs.

Tried getting back into....... became instructor for Paterson Crusaders indoor color guard.....one year......corps folded

Waited almost 20 years (didn't want to put a curse on anyone else)........ became volunteer webmaster for Garden State Circuit (lots of work on a nice website)..... then had my dream come true.... hosted GSC opening show at my school (Passaic County Tech, Wayne NJ) in June, 2002 ....EVERY corps in the circuit competed including two division IV corps and exhibition by Jersey Surf and Bushwackers ..(circuit folded at end of season).

I wanted to get back in some day and probably will.

Who wants to fold next? Maybe I should march with The Taliban Cadets????

Thanks a lot, Uncle Sam

(Made a lot of drum corps friends through RAMD..... Bklyn Mario....fellow teacher who I still have not met.)

Joe Dziezawiec

Paterson, NJ

US Army (Retired)

Teacher (Retired

Fairlawn 1963 (folded)

Doremus 1964 (folded)

Paterson Crusaders Instructor (folded)

Garden State Circuit Webmaster (folded)

Paterson Envelopes, Inc.........folder (j/k)"

I always thought this would make a GREAT book or at least research project.

"The "Draft & Drum Corps: 1960's":

The "Draft" (Universal Military Service via "Conscription") did in fact heavily impact drum corps in the mid to late 1960's. I was witness to it in two of our city corps. The Selective Service System targeted MALES, 18 years of age and older. Females were not included. There were a lot of "Escape hatches" such as 'student deferments' (Used by such noteables as Bill Clinton) that allowed a "Dodge" of military service.

The "Draft" did in fact hammer numerous corps in the later part of the decade causeing many to close their doors. A couple of the most noteable were the Chicago Royal Airs, Bridgeport CT's PAL Cadets & St Raphaels' Buccaneers, NY's Kingsmen & St Rocco's Cadets, and the senior Norman Prince "Princemen". There were no doubt others that suffered from the "System".

The "Draft" combined with the absence of a "Feeder" corps, or other "Local" corps (To "Raid"), pretty well did in quite a number of good units.

Elphaba

Edited by elphaba01

Wait...you mean it WASN'T all DCI's fault??

Interesting points, Joe

But it WAS. It was part of a diabolical plan by the original combine of DCI to decimate the VFW style corps by drafting their male participants causing so many to fold that it would be easier for DCI to come in a pick up the pieces with VFW out of the way.

DCI is pure evil.

Do I really have to put one of these? :thumbup:

Hmmmmmmmm..........how might I blame DCI?......... Let's see.............

In 1954 twelve men, who later formed DCI, managed to have themselves appointed by then-president Eisenhower to assist the French during the battle of Dien Bien Phu. The battle occurred between March and May 1954, and culminated in a massive French defeat that effectively ended the war. This led to the French "La Holde' de Bag" maneuver (AKA turn over the reins to the good old USA), as part of the Geneva Accords of 1954, which simultaneously established DCI initially with 3,678 junior corps. The number was quickly reduced to 3,677 when the entire Hard Luck Cadets Junior D & B corps was drafted into service in support of the operation.

The rest is history........ I think.........

Joe

Hmmmmmmmm..........how might I blame DCI?......... Let's see.............

In 1954 twelve men, who later formed DCI, managed to have themselves appointed by then-president Eisenhower to assist the French during the battle of Dien Bien Phu. The battle occurred between March and May 1954, and culminated in a massive French defeat that effectively ended the war. This led to the French "La Holde' de Bag" maneuver (AKA turn over the reins to the good old USA), as part of the Geneva Accords of 1954, which simultaneously established DCI initially with 3,678 junior corps. The number was quickly reduced to 3,677 when the entire Hard Luck Cadets Junior D & B corps was drafted into service in support of the operation.

The rest is history........ I think.........

Joe

HMMM........this is interesting,the fact that the draft thinned out a bunch of corps ranks.this is true.I was my corps first age out and the first to do a tour of Viet-nam.while I was there,my sister would write and tell me all about DCI,and her favorite corps,and what they were playing.kinda bittersweet,when I think about it.

This morning, Elphaba said:

"There were a lot of "Escape hatches" such as 'student deferments' (Used by such noteables as Bill Clinton) that allowed a "Dodge" of military service."

Yes, and this was true until they did away with all student deferments, and instituted the infamous birthday-based "draft lottery." I believe the year was 1969, and the Selective Service System held a random (televised) drawing of birthdates. They were assigned a number in the order in which they were picked. That became your 'draft number.' I'm sure many of you recall yours.

Many of my friends had low numbers and were gone to the Army in a matter of months. I 'lost' (or won?) with a high number (353 out of 366 possibilities) and never really feared being drafted after that as a result. Lots of good young men, great guys, were drafted out of school, and many never came back. Many others did, changed forever, some maimed and scarred, physically and psychologically.

A sad and frightening time, not just for drum corps but for all the country's young men.

This morning, Elphaba said:

"There were a lot of "Escape hatches" such as 'student deferments' (Used by such noteables as Bill Clinton) that allowed a "Dodge" of military service."

Yes, and this was true until they did away with all student deferments, and instituted the infamous birthday-based "draft lottery." I believe the year was 1969, and the Selective Service System held a random (televised) drawing of birthdates. They were assigned a number in the order in which they were picked. That became your 'draft number.' I'm sure many of you recall yours.

Many of my friends had low numbers and were gone to the Army in a matter of months. I 'lost' (or won?) with a high number (353 out of 366 possibilities) and never really feared being drafted after that as a result. Lots of good young men, great guys, were drafted out of school, and many never came back. Many others did, changed forever, some maimed and scarred, physically and psychologically.

A sad and frightening time, not just for drum corps but for all the country's young men.

Well put. 1969 was a tough year with many dragged off to serve whether they wanted to or not. Another option was to sign up with the Army Reserves. Several of the Sunrisers took this option and helped ward off the threat of Russian submarines off the coast of Long Island while helping to keep the drum corps together. Manning tanks on the streets of Ronkonkoma was a tough job, but somebody had to do it.

I say this in jest, but with much respect to the guys. I'll always remember those that could make the drum corps commitment on some weekends and march with their military uniforms.

The draft definitely had an impact... but

The entire Viet Nam War period ushered in a new era... it brought about more socialogical changes (most of us believe NOT for the better) than anything in my lifetime... the draft was just a harbinger of the changes to come... There was a societal naiveté prior to Nam that no longer existed after Nam... the change was profound... and this change put an end to "neighborhood" drum corps... It meant that picking up a kid on a corner and bringing him to rehearsal in 1964 kept him out of reform school and taught him discipline that would serve him well in life... pick up the same kid in 1985 and you would be charged with some crime against humanity because you surely must have ulterior sexual motives... In 1964 insurance was an after thought in your budget, in 1985 insurance WAS your budget... (or at least a huge part of it) DCI just followed the flow and at least guaranteed that "something" would survive...

The truly unfortunate part of the entire change... and don't get me wrong - this is NOT DCI's fault... but there was really a great sense of accomplishment when you took a kid off the street... put a horn or a pair of sticks in his hands and said "do this" and he did it... (yes I was always the one putting the x's and o's on the music) and you didn't worry about whether or not he could afford it... and the end result often made a disciplined musician out of a street thug... Now, it's how good a musician you are prior to the audition and whether or not you can afford the tuition that is important...

I am not knocking what we do now... it's a wonderful product and still the comradery is life longed and profound... corps still makes a terrific impression on the "makeup" of these kids turning them into great and well rounded adults...

It's just unfortunate that - espeicially with the continued demise of Div II/III or whatever they call it now (who at least would consider teaching someone how to play) - that we as a life effecting activity, no longer have the opportunity to help those who need it the most... unfortunately, society's current problems may be beyond our help...

Since I grew up in a corps family, I don't quite equal the troubled kid on the street that I and others helped pull in later in the 60's, but... if 1958 was today... I would NOT have been able to continue in drum corps... I simply could not have afforded it... even if I could have gotten sponsorship to pay my tour fees, I could not have done the long tour as I needed to keep part time jobs to help bring in money for myself and my family... how sad that would have been... I shudder at the thought of not having my memories...