BD Contra Question

I was somewhat upset after they changed who did the encores for the 2005 season. I'm not sure how many we did in 2005, but it was certainly less than 10, and way less than the 20+ it seemed we did in each of the previous years. In the early season, it's a bit of a workout for the baritones, but I was always glad to have the strength training.

Playing a baritone + encore = not fun. Especially when the vis. staff decides that all horn moves and such are out for the encore. But like you said, good conditioning.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like it the way it is now. There are a few non-big-5 corps that have great encore programs but probably go the entire season not winning a show and otherwise would never get to do encore but once at their home show.

No doubt it's more fair nowadays. I was just being selfish.

Its rather hard on the ol' knees, to be honest.

But its fun being right up front, looking at everybody.

Quiet, you love it on your knees.

One of my favorite things about being a pithead in the 80s was the proliferaton of sideline stuff and all the myriad transportation methods required to get it to and from the field. All the big guns would stash their trailers by the front of the stands just in case they won, and if, say, the Cavies won and Garfield and the Blue Devils didn't, it was fun to watch BD and Garfield jockeying for positioning to get off the track with their trailers.

Edited by tommytimp

Its rather hard on the ol' knees, to be honest.

But its fun being right up front, looking at everybody.

That's cuz your old.... :D

It actually does depend on the texture of the ground. If it is good grass or turf for marching, it will hurt the knees, but if it is too long of grass for good marching then it feels kind of good lol.

I have videos of 82 BD victory concerts and "The Line" was on their knees back then, although they were in the horn arc instead of front and center.

I can remember standing next to the contras and the baris and altos yelling at the contras to get out of the way.

Perhaps...the tradition was started in 1982. I don't recall them doing that in 81.

Edited by TrainWreck

Ironic, coming from a member of the pimps and ho's.

I'm a pimp... not a ho.

Playing a baritone + encore = not fun. Especially when the vis. staff decides that all horn moves and such are out for the encore. But like you said, good conditioning.

Horn pops to the box should NEVER be removed for encores. Slamming my bari up to box center on a big hit just fuels the adrenaline for me.