Free day mischief

I remember most of the free days and they were spectacular when they came around. Here are a few teasers;

1988 SCV in New Orleans...

1990, 91? a Madison Scout climbing the flag pole in old Montreal for the Fleur De Lis Flag...and a staff member having to bail him out.

Any year at the Montreal Beer Garden....nuff said! :innocent:

Ah yes... Book Em' Dano, 1990 Montreal.

1988- The year of the free day. New Orleans. London. AMSTERDAM.

so many art galleries, so little time :shedevil:

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1993 - The corps had a free day in New Orleans. We were dropped off on Bourbon Street.

We were picked up/carried on/dragged back on the bus on Bourbon Street as well, some 10 hours later.

Now that I'm an adult, I'd say that's the worst decision ever made by a group of adults regarding that many kids (110-120).

But as an 18 year old... man that was a great day. Everyone was served down there. Even one of our youngest - a 14 year old kid was served alcohol.

A neat thing about that day was watching kids from other corps stumbling around Bourbon Street in their corps jackets (whoops!).

Well.. not really "neat", but interesting for sure.

holy ####, that must have been amazing/terrible.

Gotta love free days. Well I & E was the day after my birthday so a couple of friends told me to meet them at the bus stop by the hooters restaurant. So I met them and they wanted to go in, SO we go in and a couple of us get a table and the others said they wanted to buy a shirt. Five minutes later it seemed like every hooters employee in Pasadena was standing in front of me. They made me put on this tin foil elephant hat and dance in front of the everyone at the place! It was extremely funny and I got the weirdest looks afterwords from some Academy members. :innocent:

Ahhh good times.

Now I have some dirt on you. Hahahahaha

Just a quick suggestion. I know all of us like to drink and party and have plenty of stories about that. HOWEVER, how about we have stories about us being sober and doing something interesting that we may have never thought of doing like jumping into a pool that had a sign saying "no trespassing" or sneaking out past curfew to play truth or dare. So, how 'bout it? Shall we give it a spin? :innocent:

(LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL)

I would have to also say 1988 New Orleans with SCV, a night for the record books......

Also drunk with BEATRIX drum corps in Holland OMG, and we have it all on video too~~~~~

At a show in Canada with the Guardsmen in 1979, a girl from the HS band where we were staying made friends with one of the guard girls. She invited her, and told her to invite about 8 or 9 more of us, of which I was one lucky enough to be one, over to her house for late lunch/dinner and hanging out. Her dad came and picked us all up.

Man, we had a great time at this girls house. She spoke mostly French, but enough english to communicate with us, and some of her friends from the band cooked for us as well. We played frisbee, and we literally folked out around a fire later that night drinking Canadian beer and enjoying ourselves listening to these French Canadian kids sing folk songs and play guitar.

Had a free night in San Antonio in 1982. 4th of July, too. Man, that was awesome. The river walk was way cool, and the place was alive with action that night. FUN!!

There was this nature trail next to our housing in Portland for Al Nats in 1970...

Had a free day in Montreal, too. Got down to the old part of town. About as close to Europe that you can get in North America. I'd like to go back when there's more time to spend. Used the Metro, found out The Colonel spoke French (Poulet Frit ala Kentucky), had some free time at that amusment park left over from Expo 67 in the middle of the river, went to a pizza place owned by a Greek guy with menus only in French.

Also had a free day in Jackson, WY. Had to ship those antlers from the park back when we got home.

Here's one for Boo. We stayed at St. John's Episcopal Cathedral in Spokane. One of the priests was a Kilties alumnus. They gave us the tour, brought the organist in to demo the 1190-pipe organ, then asked us to play IN THE CATHEDRAL! What incredible acoustics. 4 second echo, 7 second reverb. We shook out old WWII vintage black out paint from stained glass along the top of the nave. And there was the priest about 30 rows back in the pews with a HUGE smile on his face.

Garry in Vegas

We had some memorable times on free days.....

I seem to remember a time Dan took all of us conoeing, and a group of folks wound up washing the staff bus a few times after disrobing along the way. We also went to a Moody Blues concert that year.

One of my favorite days was in 95. We went to some park in NY that had a lake. As usual, we had a "waterworks" brass rehersal. (This is when you stick your bell in the water and warm up. All the while, to try and keep the bubbles steady.) When we finally emptied our horns and dropped the first note.... a few old ladies on the beach pee'd a little.

These stories are fun to read. I belong to an alumni group that has a online fourm and there is alot of these type stories on there lately, and that's why I started this thread

Keep the stories coming!!!

Mischief?

How about a few Cavaliers tried to touch Lincoln's nose on Mount Rushmore. Founder Don Warren was nearly arrested. Park officials told him the the penalty was six months in jail for each of the four offenders. Don's quote was "Tell my wife I love her and I'll see her in two years!" The full story is in his new book.