Rule Proposals

I'll jump in, after all the years I've avoided reading the proposals and making comments about them (not to include the stray anti-amps argument).

1. General Effect Double Panel: Sure, why not? I believe this would make a lot more placements at least a little more convincing.

2. Age Requirements for 2009 implementation: Again, why not? Who would it hurt? No one except hopeful wanna be rookies (is that good or bad?).

3. Water for 2009 implementation: No problem. I think Hopkins has an idea about painting huge abstracts during shows. If I'm correct, this could be cool. I'm kind of thinking that it could be similar to the giant banners and flags used by corps in the early 90's, at least a little artsier.

4. Show Timing for 2009 implementation: This one is interesting. Wasn't Hopkins the one who proposed shortening shows way back when they were running at 13:30? Maybe I was misinformed.

5. Amplification for Brass for 2009 implementation: I'm fine with this if it's for soloists only. I would love to be able to hear some solos that were drowned out by brasslines over the years. Much of this was due to bad recordings. Listen 95 BD at the end of Scott's solo that parked on a double C, the brassline came in at RFL. For years I had no idea that he was still soloing there, until another 95 BD vet told me about it. So I emailed Scott to ask him about the solo, he said he couldn't remember a single note of it. Talk about being lost to the ages.

6. Electronics for 2009 implementation: Nope. It's music. Be creative. There's all kinds of undiscovered noise makers out there. Surprise us!!

7. Percussion 2 Elimination: I don't know enough about this one to have an opinion. However, this flies in the face of reason when reading the first proposal--General Effect Double Panel. I can't see how doubling a panel would be beneficial and confusing at the same time. Maybe I'm confused.

8. Sound Board for 2009 implementation: I'm kind of torn on this. On one hand, there's the rule forbidding staff to coach during a performance, yet at the same time staff can manipulate the show at the touch of a button? Then there's the marching member who spends the summer sitting in front of a soundboard, always adjusting the sound levels or fighting sleep from sitting there all day. I don't think I'd be interested in having that as my dot.

9.Narration for 2009 implementation: The anti-voice, whisper, sing and cry proposal. No complaints from me. I just want to hear some good music. That's all. I really don't care to hear young voices. Now, if a corps could recruit James Earl Jones and use him without a penalty, that would be good. Well, as long as he doesn't cry.

10. Amplification for 2009 implementation: The complete banning of all that is copper and/or gold plated and enshrined in particle board and/or plastic and/or aluminum. Again, no complaints here. I've only been to a few shows in the last few years and have been disappointed with the performances of amplification during the performances of almost all the corps using it.

Edit: Sorry for the length. I think I've met my posting quota for the next six months. I guess I'll log out for a while now.

Edited by ravedodger

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Timothy Kviz; finally someone who can think and reason makes a rules change proposal.

We need more like him.

Unless he's just cribbing from my arguments over the years, then we need more like me :>):devil:

Regards,

John Swartz

Of course the people who disagree with your opinion on what the rules should be can't think.

Of course the people who disagree with your opinion on what the rules should be can't think.

Well, since Kviz backs up what he says with real examples, rather than the wild guesses coming from our East coast savior, in a manner that resembles the English language, yeah he can think.

Look back. I've said amplification shouldn't be just because. I said it wouldn't work as some thought it would and therefore shouldn't be.

Regards,

John

11 minutes is plenty of time to develop a musical idea. Maybe not for an entire symphony, but most wind ensemble pieces fall far below the 11 minute mark. An example of a well thought out musical idea under the 11 minute mark would be Blue Devils 1997 (personally). If it went on for another minute it would drag on. It was perfect. It can be done and isn't overly difficult. And yes, it might not be the best way to do thing, but this seems like an excuse for Hopkins to be able to do something with the extra minute or two of music he has EVERY year. And as someone stated earlier. Longer performances mean longer shows. Having to pay to hold the venue longer and to pay the event staff

but 11 minutes ISN'T enough time to develop a wind ensemble piece, that it is why most band lit is total trash, the composers are trying to throw in every compositional and orchestration trick in their bag in a single 10 minute piece thus almost all sound forced and frankly, the same, and the few wind band works that are on comparable quality of orchestral works tend to be multi-movement longer pieces. The same could be said about the majority of drum corps shows.

but 11 minutes ISN'T enough time to develop a wind ensemble piece, that it is why most band lit is total trash, the composers are trying to throw in every compositional and orchestration trick in their bag in a single 10 minute piece thus almost all sound forced and frankly, the same, and the few wind band works that are on comparable quality of orchestral works tend to be multi-movement longer pieces. The same could be said about the majority of drum corps shows.

The difference there is that drum corps makes at least a little more money than wind ensemble pieces. :devil:

Edited by ravedodger

Water??? How in the heck could water be effectively used in a show?

crotales tied on fishing line, and dipped in water sound awesome.

we used them in 2003. so, that's how. :)