Rule Proposal 2008-07

Rules 2008  

188 members have voted

1. 1. Percussion Judge 2 Elimination

• No; maintain 2 judge system for percussion judging
    • Yes; eliminate the second percussion judge

The point Hop was trying to make in the purpose of his proposal was that:

A) The field percussion judge samples what's in front of him and listens for specifics

B) The Box percussion judge should be sampling the ENTIRE percussion ensemble and listening for specifics but is often listening for minutia and subsegments of the ensemble and not adjudicating the big picture

C) If the Ensemble Music judges were doing their jobs they would cover a greater portion of percussion and not just brass ... in which case they wouldn't need the second percussion judge.

OK, thank you, that is very helpful. Now I see what GH was getting at in seeking improvement in consistency of judging. Unfortunately, George is not a model of clarity himself when it comes to writing these things and they come across as not well thought through. Offer your services to YEA! as a translator, like at the UN, or like Barbara Billingsley in Airplane!: "Yes, I speak Hopkins."

does anyone else read this as Hopkins calling out the effect judges?

Now, the issue is actually the inconsistent job being done by ensemble music judges, who are, supposed to

be evaluating the full ensemble

ballsy i must say...and i know there was an investigation into the judges during last season over comments and scores

• 4 weeks later...

If the GE perc judge is not doing his job, fire him. It's simple as that. If you weren't doing your job at work, the same thing would happen to you. Put a few heads on the chopping block and see what happens. Hold these people accountable for pete's sake!

I agree that you should keep 2 judges. One person can't do it all. Taking away the on-field judge would simply be a way to hide bad drumming. Like someone siad before, what sounds emaculate in the stands could sound like pure crap on the field.

If the GE perc judge is not doing his job, fire him. It's simple as that. If you weren't doing your job at work, the same thing would happen to you. Put a few heads on the chopping block and see what happens. Hold these people accountable for pete's sake!

I agree that you should keep 2 judges. One person can't do it all. Taking away the on-field judge would simply be a way to hide bad drumming. Like someone siad before, what sounds emaculate in the stands could sound like pure crap on the field.

I think the proposal is about eliminating the second percussion performance judge, not the GE judge.

Has anyone else noticed how many more great pit's there are since adding the second judge?

I've enjoyed many great front ensembles for the last 20 plus years, not just recently. Tremendous music and effects looooooooooooooooooooooong befoer amps.