Question regarding DCP and the role it plays in fanbase

It is obvious that the majority of participants on this board aren't very fond of electronics and amplification. I for one, am a proponent of amplification and electronics, and for innovation. I believe strongly in what George Hopkins is doing in pushing the envelope for this activity. I am sure many of you disagree with me, and that is quite alright as we are titled to our own opinions. I do however, have a question about DCP and the role it plays in DCI. What percentage of the actual DCI fan base is represented on these here boards? Are the majority of DCI fans against the use of electronics and amplification? Further more, would it be possible to determine what percentage of DCI fans have marched corps and what percentage hasn't? Any help is much appreciated, thank you.

Signed,

patron of the Marching ARTS

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2004NewFireTruck_small.jpg

Standing by, cuz this thread is gonna need it !!!

I think the only way to know for sure is by an official poll done by DCI itself. Whether it's done online, at regional shows or finals. No matter what, I don't think there will ever be an "official" answer since there's no way to get a "real" count.

That make sense? :devil:

There have been plenty of threads on DCP about hopkins, woodwinds, electronics, amps, etc. and plenty of corresponding polls. Do a search and find some of those threads, you'll see the results. Plus wait a few days to see the results of the polls about the current proposals currently going on. You'll see what most DCPers think.

There have been plenty of threads on DCP about hopkins, woodwinds, electronics, amps, etc. and plenty of corresponding polls. Do a search and find some of those threads, you'll see the results. Plus wait a few days to see the results of the polls about the current proposals currently going on. You'll see what most DCPers think.

The OP's query was not about what DCPer's think. Many of us make it pretty obvious since we tend to be somewhat outspoken on the hot button issues. The question here is what role does the DCP public pay in the DCI show attending audience.

I think far too often we take ourselves way too seriously here. It is nice sometimes to feel more important than we really are. In the grand scheme, I don't think we affect things in the world of DCI all that much.

Also understand.... despite there being well over 10,000 registered users on DCP, less than a handful actually post on a regular basis. So my answer to your question would be no, DCP does not make a majority of DCI's fan base, but what we do have is drum corps' largest online portal for news and information, as well as the largest single database of drum corps folks out there (or one of the largest... corpsreps.com's alumni database might be bigger).

The fact is, there's no way of answering most of the OP's questions. However, I have yet to see a message board where the majority of people who post aren't what I would call fanatics, and this board is no exception. Not that there's anything wrong with that...I love DCP. But, fanatics rarely represent the majority of fans involved in any activity.

Maybe DCP should have a table at every DCI show, including regionals, and then DCP'ers can stop in at the table and sign in so that we can see how many DCP'ers were at the show. Then we can compare the DCP attendance with the full attendance. That might be a way to go. Of course, we also would need to find out which DCP'ers are marching with or teaching or volunteering for which corps, which is information we may not be able to get... hmm...