Cadets 2008 Program!....

So, for what feels like the hundreth year in a row, I was at the saturday night meeting. My personal preference - I kind of wish the cadets would stop trying to preach to the world with every show they do. Honestly, last years show was literally George Hopkins Life lessons in 11 minutes, then this is, 100% version 2.0 of the same. I know they want to be different, but I dont really see how this show is even close to anything new. I guess there just comes a time when i want to see a drum corps show (complicated, narrative, simple, whatever), and not a morality play.

Well said. This was the point of my post a few pages back about the "examination" crap (as I put it).

C'mon .... how many of you are going to listen/watch Cadets 08 and "examine" your pursuit of happiness? What do you expect to "learn" about happiness from a drum corps show that you don't already know? (I presume you're at the show in the first place to be entertained, i.e., it is a recreational activity for fans, so I presume you're there to be "happy" and thus I doubt you need help learning how to pursue it, eh?).

That's why these kinds of elevated "concepts" in a drum corps show are a load of poo-poo IMO ... they accomplish nothing other than just being silly, the chosen music frequently doesn't support them (e.g. you could dream up some other arbitrary concept and drop it into the same musical selections and never notice the difference) and the visuals are not driven by them in the least (if you disagree, tell me for example how rotating blocks will selectively communicate a particular conceptual idea like happiness .... because I'm sure Cadets and everyone else will have them in their show since they are required material in the repertoire of moves expected to be performed...).

Don't get me wrong ... I'll enjoy the Cadets world-class brass and percussion lines as much as anyone. And even the most ardent Cadets supporters on here are just saying words to the same effect... "looking forward to a great hornline", "can't wait to see their guard", etc. Me too! That's all great! But I don't hear many people saying "I can't wait to see Cadets next summer so I can learn about being happy!!" C'mon ...

Remember some BOA band from a few years ago that presented "the history of the automobile"? :cool:

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pssh....SCV 89 was terrible....as was Cadets 83...and pretty much every show before that where every corps recycled half their show from the previous year..... :cool:

Sooooooo??????

That still DOES NOT mean every "part 2" will suck. Can't judge every performance by what happened in the past. And if Cadets 83 was so terrible, and they wound up winning, what does that say about the other corps that were up against them? Not bashing those corps, just saying, if you go by your logic, then....

Edited by 2000Cadet

Sooooooo??????

That still DOES NOT mean every "part 2" will suck. Can't judge every performance by what happened in the past.

He wasn't being sarcastic or anything...

I don't remember saying he was....

He was being sarcastic in saying that, and the person he was referring to was of course, being sarcastic.

Box 5!!!!

The theme will be seen throughout the show. The rotating blocks and other visual drill may not communicate the idea/theme, but other parts of the show will do so very nicely. (and no, I'm not talking about the narration).

All I'm trying to say is that nobody knows the complete details of the show yet so we can't sit around here and judge it until we have all the information.