Cadets 2008 Program!....

Ok, I took yesterday off, and only had time to "skim," so I might have missed this if it was brought up already...courtship, marriage and relationship? I LOVE Vesuvius, think it's an amazing piece that can hold its own as a marching show all by itself, and can't wait to see the Cadets booking it in the drag tempo (12, 123, 12, 12), but the piece is about a volcano! It sounds like a volcano! There's a part in the original where every who isn't playing makes the sound of ash falling! There's explosions and the entire thing sound dangerous and exciting, and based on what I remember of the actual event and how the piece ends, it didn't end on a very uplifting note. I'm sure the arrangement will be great and intense (though I hate seeing a piece that great/long shortened to 3 minutes), but how the heck do you translate a volcano to marriage?! I'll admit, I've never been married, but if it's anything like a volcano with the whole "liquid hot magma" thing, count me out!

Yeah, I can think of "eruptions" during courtship ... :wub: ....those tend to decrease in frequency during marriage .... :inlove:

But thanks for making my earlier point for me!

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...by playing loud and fast and slow and soft. Ooo, big surprise!!!

<insert any other arbitrary "concept" into any other arbitrarily chosen musical repertoire here>

Touche'

...by playing loud and fast and slow and soft. Ooo, big surprise!!!

<insert any other arbitrary "concept" into any other arbitrarily chosen musical repertoire here>

umm... so have you ever played music before?

it's about the WAY they combine and transition between fast and slow and loud and soft that makes music emotional, and is obviously what he was referring too, mr. semantics.

Not sure about that, but I'm sure Nitro is for "youth."

I have to agree with that,

I figured American Elegy would represent "child birth/young age" since it's very lyrical and it could represent like an infant or something....

Not that child birth is lyrical...

well hey you know what I mean

I have to agree with that,

I figured American Elegy would represent "child birth/young age" since it's very lyrical and it could represent like an infant or something....

Not that child birth is lyrical...

well hey you know what I mean

It represents the Columbine massacre, but OK.

Oh - I had no idea!

I mean, I've played it two times in the Concert Band setting, but I never saught to look towords the top of the page under the title of the piece.

And No, I would never mean to say that it could possibly used in this 2008 Program to represant the infant stage of life.

Edited by Notorious T-U-B-A

Oh, it's a pretty song either way. It is what you want it to be.

Oh, it's a pretty song either way. It is what you want it to be.

I don't really think that's respectful...Mr. Ticheli had a very clear intent on what the piece is to be about. It is beautiful, though, I do agree.