Cadets '08 Mockup

Hrothgar did say he is just starting to learn a brass instrument for a 2009 audition.

Yeah. There's really no way I'll make any top 12 corps...that doesn't really matter to me though. A lot of times I've found the 13-21 corps to be more entertaining anyway, and if I had to choose between placement and audience reaction, I'd take audience reaction any day of the week.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thoughts like these are responsible for why so many fans are dissatisfied with the state of the activity today.

Dude, I hate to make another thread about you, but honestly, comments like this are why you need to march. I'm with you in terms of a general dislike of vocal amplification, but you just come across a lot as not really knowing what you're talking about. At least spend some time on the road with a corps in some capacity. This activity is different from sports and others because unlike them, it's possible for virtually everyone who is a fan to participate at various levels to see what things are really like.

Dude, I hate to make another thread about you, but honestly, comments like this are why you need to march. I'm with you in terms of a general dislike of vocal amplification, but you just come across a lot as not really knowing what you're talking about. At least spend some time on the road with a corps in some capacity. This activity is different from sports and others because unlike them, it's possible for virtually everyone who is a fan to participate at various levels to see what things are really like.

Sorry, but I'm going to have to disagree with you on this issue. I do not need to march by any stretch of the imagination. Can't someone be a fan of drum corps and have no desire to participate in the activity whatsoever? I'm not saying that person is me, as I do want to march, but isn't that a valid stance to take? I thought it was a normal viewpoint to have until I joined DCP, and until last summer I had absolutely no desire to march in a drum corps. And you know what, my mind may change again, and I'll still be as big of a fan as I am now, and I'll still care as much as I do now.

Sure, it's a valid position to take, but it still means that quite frankly, we're going to call you out when you say stuff that belies your ignorance of the realities of drum corps. Whether it's marching, teaching, managing or volunteering, you really don't understand what it's all about until you've been on the inside, and that's just a fact, man.

Sure, it's a valid position to take, but it still means that quite frankly, we're going to call you out when you say stuff that belies your ignorance of the realities of drum corps. Whether it's marching, teaching, managing or volunteering, you really don't understand what it's all about until you've been on the inside, and that's just a fact, man.

It's not "all about" just one thing. It's "about" different things to different people depending on their role. Drum corps is obviously about something different to me, as a fan, than it is to you.

It's not "all about" just one thing. It's "about" different things to different people depending on their role. Drum corps is obviously about something different to me, as a fan, than it is to you.

Exactly. My grandma knows nothing about what it takes to actually be in a drum corps, but she still loves coming to shows every summer. Not to compare Hrothgar to my grandmother...

His thoughts as a fan are often more unbiased than those that did march. Call him out if he deserves it, but don't act as though he's not entitled to an opinion simply because he didn't march. I'm a football fan, and I've never played a non-nerf game. I'm allowed to say what I think stinks about the BCS. Be sure to grant the same courtesy. This isn't some exclusive club.