Cadets '08 Mockup

Hrothgar-

I don't understand how someone could admit to The Cadets as being their favorite corps, and yet they couldn't even BE paid to march there.

If you hate the show design so much, then what is it about the corps that you love so much?

I would not show up to a Cadets rehearsal if I were you. There are MANY members who read these forums, and you have been mentioned MANY times amongst members. If you do show up, please DO NOT tell anyone who you are.

Seriously, for your own good.

Perhaps Hrothgar can start saying that the Cadets 'were' his favorite corps. I mean, with 4 years in a row now of major amped voice, and things not likely to change anytime soon, it might be time to just cling to the stuff you love, and let go of what you dont. Just a thought

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would not show up to a Cadets rehearsal if I were you. There are MANY members who read these forums, and you have been mentioned MANY times amongst members. If you do show up, please DO NOT tell anyone who you are.

This statement made me laugh.

George Hopkins is going to pull a blade on Hrothgar.

:worthy:

well, to say nothing of his skill, but if he didnt really want to be there, thats usually the first way someone gets cut...

Took the words right outta my mouth.

Hrothgar-

I don't understand how someone could admit to The Cadets as being their favorite corps, and yet they couldn't even BE paid to march there.

If you hate the show design so much, then what is it about the corps that you love so much?

The Cadets are by far my favorite corps, and I love everything about them. The traditions, the attitude, everything. I'm a drum corps show fan. I am a fan of the drum corps show. I listen to them, watch them, memorize them, analyze them, because I think it is truly one of the finest pieces of art and entertainment our society has ever produced, ever. Drum corps to me is the shows, in an historical context, auditorily and visually.

The most sublime way in which I try to experience this is at live shows over the summer. When that is not feasible, I very often turn to an audio or video recording, with audio being more appropriate for most situation, that with the right settings can give a somewhat comparable experience.

A corps to me isn't who's in it, or who their staff is, or what their show will be the upcoming year. A corps to me is a collection of all their shows I can experience in any sort of medium. The year 1982 is just as relevant in how I enjoy drum corps as 2008 is. In fact, that particular year might be more relevant in that I tend to spend more time experiencing shows that include some form of coherent melodic development and an acceptable representation of the drum corps sound.

Based on how I judge drum corps, there's no way the Cadets couldn't be my favorite corps. Every show of theirs I have experienced from the years 1982 to 2003 is a masterpiece. I have fallen in love with them. I have picked apart every note, every chord, every drill set just to how everything is interwoven so perfectly. Ask me to audibly reproduce any Cadets show from start to finish from these years straight from memory, and I can do it. Drum corps to me is these shows. The 2000 show is the finest show I've ever seen put on the field. The Cadets to me are then, not now, and they are the pinnacle of drum corps in my mind.

Yet I absolutely despise what they have put on the field the past few years, and it makes me sick. I have no desire to march there because I would not want to be part of a show that goes against all of the drum corps values I hold dear. This in no way, however, affects my conception of them as a corps as a whole, which to me does not include the years after 2004.

I would really love to come and watch the February camp to see the hornline and the drumline go through the music. If anyone decides to threaten me physically or mentally, I will call the police and ensure that person be removed from the corps and arrested.

Wow. :worthy:

Do you think every kid who marches there is on board with amps, etc.?

Most...yup

It's like the UNIX .vs. Windows argument. I worked with UNIX exclusively until 1998, I HATE Windows with a passion. But there are fewer and fewer people that even remember a world without Microsoft anymore...just like there are fewer kids that remember a world without amps or with G bugles....Ask most UNIX people (if you can find any) and they will probably have a similar viewpoint...UNIX is so much easier to deal with as a software person.

Most...yup

It's like the UNIX .vs. Windows argument. I worked with UNIX exclusively until 1998, I HATE Windows with a passion. But there are fewer and fewer people that even remember a world without Microsoft anymore...just like there are fewer kids that remember a world without amps or with G bugles....Ask most UNIX people (if you can find any) and they will probably have a similar viewpoint...UNIX is so much easier to deal with as a software person.

I use a Mac...that counts right? :worthy:

The Cadets are by far my favorite corps, and I love everything about them. The traditions, the attitude, everything. I'm a drum corps show fan. I am a fan of the drum corps show. I listen to them, watch them, memorize them, analyze them, because I think it is truly one of the finest pieces of art and entertainment our society has ever produced, ever. Drum corps to me is the shows, in an historical context, auditorily and visually.

The most sublime way in which I try to experience this is at live shows over the summer. When that is not feasible, I very often turn to an audio or video recording, with audio being more appropriate for most situation, that with the right settings can give a somewhat comparable experience.

A corps to me isn't who's in it, or who their staff is, or what their show will be the upcoming year. A corps to me is a collection of all their shows I can experience in any sort of medium. The year 1982 is just as relevant in how I enjoy drum corps as 2008 is. In fact, that particular year might be more relevant in that I tend to spend more time experiencing shows that include some form of coherent melodic development and an acceptable representation of the drum corps sound.

Based on how I judge drum corps, there's no way the Cadets couldn't be my favorite corps. Every show of theirs I have experienced from the years 1982 to 2003 is a masterpiece. I have fallen in love with them. I have picked apart every note, every chord, every drill set just to how everything is interwoven so perfectly. Ask me to audibly reproduce any Cadets show from start to finish from these years straight from memory, and I can do it. Drum corps to me is these shows. The 2000 show is the finest show I've ever seen put on the field. The Cadets to me are then, not now, and they are the pinnacle of drum corps in my mind.

Yet I absolutely despise what they have put on the field the past few years, and it makes me sick. I have no desire to march there because I would not want to be part of a show that goes against all of the drum corps values I hold dear. This in no way, however, affects my conception of them as a corps as a whole, which to me does not include the years after 2004.

I would really love to come and watch the February camp to see the hornline and the drumline go through the music. If anyone decides to threaten me physically or mentally, I will call the police and ensure that person be removed from the corps and arrested.

Wow, after reading that, I understand your position and respect it. And don't worry, no one will put an hand on you at any camp. It's drum corps, not a boxing match. The Cadets have a lot more restraint.

Well I can't wait for 08 to start. The music sounds like it's going to be great.

And as much as I am not a fan of narration, I'm glad someone said that they

are at least placing it in transitions rather than over the top of important musical phrases.

Most...yup

Haha...dont be so sure. I think most of them deal with it just fine, but there are plenty who dont like it. Im sure a lot are buying in, but plenty of members (and staff), arent huge fans. Obviously, they are still there, so the benefits outweigh the downfalls, which is pretty much how any decision works.... :rolleyes: