Instructors' Caucus

Does anyone else think it's strange that rules proposals have to first go to the Instructors' Caucus to be approved before they can go on to the Board Of Directors? I'm not saying that instructors/designers should haven't any input on whether a rule is passed or not, but I think it's strange that if they don't approve it, the BOD can't even discuss it. I feel as if it's like a US Congressman submitting a bill, and then it has to be approved by the National Rifle Association or Greenpeace before the House or Senate can even talk about voting on it. Why does DCI do it this way? And am I right in my understanding of how it works in the first place?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They should do it like a political caucus. Everyone is allowed to participate (as long as you're a registered voter). If there was a registration process through DCI, how many people would show up to be a part of the rules congress?

I would.

GArry in Vegas

I feel as if it's like a US Congressman submitting a bill, and then it has to be approved by the National Rifle Association or Greenpeace before the House or Senate can even talk about voting on it.

As a Devil's Advocate bit, could it be more like a bill having to pass a committee (Armed Services, Ways and Means) before going to the full House/Senate?

As a Devil's Advocate bit, could it be more like a bill having to pass a committee (Armed Services, Ways and Means) before going to the full House/Senate?

hmm... Well, aren't all the committees within Congress made up of congresspeople? The Instructors' Caucus is not made up of directors.

Does anyone else think it's strange that rules proposals have to first go to the Instructors' Caucus to be approved before they can go on to the Board Of Directors? I'm not saying that instructors/designers should haven't any input on whether a rule is passed or not, but I think it's strange that if they don't approve it, the BOD can't even discuss it. I feel as if it's like a US Congressman submitting a bill, and then it has to be approved by the National Rifle Association or Greenpeace before the House or Senate can even talk about voting on it. Why does DCI do it this way? And am I right in my understanding of how it works in the first place?

Just a guess...they want those on the creative side to determine what they think important for the shows they create, and then those on the $$ side decide if it is something they can afford????

Just a guess...they want those on the creative side to determine what they think important for the shows they create, and then those on the $ side decide if it is something they can afford????

And the instructors will never turn something away. And the directors who can afford the toys have a competitive advantage to make it more expensive, driving their competition under.

Unhealthy, through and through.

hmm... Well, aren't all the committees within Congress made up of congresspeople? The Instructors' Caucus is not made up of directors.

But think of it this way...the Instructors' Caucus is made up of....instructors, those who actually have to teach this stuff. There should be a way for them to express their views before a vote that could have a major impact on how to approach the education. Reading through the rules proposals, some seem to ignore the obvious education issues that arise because you have to take a different approach if your second sarrusophone is out of tune with your poetry reader and the harpsichord being slammed by hammers is not in time with your bubble bath.

Just a guess...they want those on the creative side to determine what they think important for the shows they create, and then those on the $$ side decide if it is something they can afford????

OK, fine. That works fine for a rule proposal that adds something (electronics, amps for brass, etc.) But what about a rule that subtracts or restricts something (elimination of amps, elimination of amped vocals, etc.)? If the instructors' caucus shoots it down, the directors essentially have NO say in the matter. I'm all for giving the instructors/designers a voice in this process, but if the proposals MUST get by them first, then they have the ONLY voice in the process when it comes to proposals that they disapprove of.

If the instructors' caucus shoots it down, the directors essentially have NO say in the matter. I'm all for giving the instructors/designers a voice in this process, but if the proposals MUST get by them first, then they have the ONLY voice in the process when it comes to proposals that they disapprove of.

why can't the directors hire instructors with shared values?

that seems like an easy way around this.