Virginia Auditions?

Ok, I live in Virginia and yet there are no corps around the 2 closest are Jersey Surt about a 10 hour drive and Carolina Crown about a day drive. I was just wondering why dont corps consider having there auditions in there home states and then an audition in states that dont have corps in them. I mean just think....theres all this Virginia,NC,West Virginia talent not being used because we cant drive up to Jersey Surf or Carolina Crown for every camp. I mean i know some phenomal wind players and amazing guard people!!! Yet none of them march DCI cuz we cant afford to drive so far! Well just thought id see what everyone else thought about this and im not saying that its just Virginia but theres other states that have amazing talent not being used because we cant travel that far. I mean a 3 or 4 hour drive isnt that bad but i cant drive 2 states south or drive all the way to the other side of virginia for a day and buy gas, audition fees, and stuff. well just thought id see what yall thought!

Edited by xXThRowTHeFlaGXx

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, I live in Virginia and yet there are no corps around the 2 closest are Jersey Surt about a 10 hour drive and Carolina Crown about a day drive. I was just wondering why dont corps consider having there auditions in there home states and then an audition in states that dont have corps in them. I mean just think....theres all this Virginia,NC,West Virginia talent not being used because we cant drive up to Jersey Surf or Carolina Crown for every camp. I mean i know some phenomal wind players and amazing guard people!!! Yet none of them march DCI cuz we cant afford to drive so far! Well just thought id see what everyone else thought about this and im not saying that its just Virginia but theres other states that have amazing talent not being used because we cant travel that far. I mean a 3 or 4 hour drive isnt that bad but i cant drive 2 states south or drive all the way to the other side of virginia for a day and buy gas, audition fees, and stuff. well just thought id see what yall thought!

Almost every drum corps goes through efforts now (unlike the past) to hold auditions in other locations then the home state.

Unfortunatly not every state can house auditions...and even if such happened, then the competition for making a corps would even be more competitive.

I lived in VA and drove to Toledo for 2 years. Well worth the drive IMO. I highly recommend it. But take a buddy. :)

you must live in southern VA for Surf to be a 10 hour drive.

A group of us tried to start 2 corps in the baltimore area in the 90's which would have been easier for you to get to, but unfortunately neither of them got off the ground

What about the kids who live overseas and fly to the states to audition for a certain corps? That's not stopping them. If you really want to be in that corps, don't let the distance stop you.

yea i live in Southern Virginia about 20 mins south of Richmond. But see i wouldnt mind driving but im only 16 and my parents wont let me drive that far and if i wasnt scared my car would fall into a million pieces while i drive down the highway ;p lol and my parents arent the most supporitive so they wont go with me and they wont drive me so i would have to drive myself but like i said if it was only a few hours then it wouldnt be a problem ;)

Edited by xXThRowTHeFlaGXx

I don't know of anywhere in VA that is a "days drive" from Fort Mill. If you live in metro DC, you are about 7 hours away, and that is about as far as you can be from SC and stay in VA. If it is 10 hours to S Jersey, then you are alot closer to FM then you think.

For years, members have been coming to CC from the tidewater area, western VA, as well as NoVa. Many carpool.

Be glad that you dont live in a place where you would have to drive days or FLY to camp.

yea i live in Southern Virginia about 20 mins south of Richmond. But see i wouldnt mind driving but im only 16 and my parents wont let me drive that far and if i wasnt scared my car would fall into a million pieces while i drive down the highway ;p lol and my parents arent the most supporitive so they wont go with me and they wont drive me so i would have to drive myself but like i said if it was only a few hours then it wouldnt be a problem ;)

Ok. That is about 275 miles to FM. 4 hours. Not bad. That is what I drove to march. Remember, a rehearsal is a weekend. Friday to Sunday. A four hour drive each way would be worth it!

BTW..if you are 20 miles south of richmond, it is NOT 10 hours to Surf. It is about the same as it would be to Crown.

Alot can be said for a working knowledge of Geography.. :thumbup:

Wow, I'm not sure where you live in Virgina that you're a day away from northern South Carolina AND 10 hours from New Jersey. From Washington, DC to Fort Mill, SC is 8 hours, and from Bristol, VA to Mount Holly, NJ is 8 hours. I wouldn't consider either of those unreasonable.

I know more and more corps are having camps in different states. The Cavaliers have camps in GA and TX, but both of those are further than 8 hours from Chicago. Camps away from home require even more coordination than normal camps. I'm sure there has to be some return to make it worth it.

Money has always been an issue for marching drum corps. It is even more so now. I would try to find a sponsor if you really want to march. If every corps had camps where they weren't located, that would be 49 extra camps apiece. Riiiiight.

If you're in St Petersburg, it's 4 hours to Carolina Crown and 5 hours to Jersey Surf. You should consider flying or carpooling.

For that matter, how are your parents going to handle you being gone for the entire summer?

Edited by usmcontra