Plagerization of Drum Corps

This topic is BS

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why not just start sueing people for whistling in public? I'm sure it would make the low life scum of the earth lawyers happy.

Edited by Piper

i think i get what your trying ot say but im willing to bet that the corps who paly the same shows as other corps paid for the music and have gained leagle rights and permission to play that music. A lot of highschools buy dci song and drill and do not change a thing like alot of school play the planets with the same drill from the cavaliers. i think what your tryng to say is that the drum corps should be original with their own music and ideas with music but you cant say that corps steal their music to try to use it as their own kuz that would quite possible be the stupidest thing for a corp to do when its easy to jsut buy the music.

I didn't know that Madison's staff "wrote" Bolero, SCV Capriccio Espagnol and Scheherezade, and Phantom Claire de Lune. That said, throughout all of drum corps history it was not unusual to see two or three corps at the same contest playing a common song. "Stealing," IMO, would be duplicating the Bridgemen strut, or the Cabs rumps, or Sky sig....etc.... and you would pay the price for it as you would be sure to fall short.

I didn't know that Madison's staff "wrote" Bolero, SCV Capriccio Espagnol and Scheherezade, and Phantom Claire de Lune. That said, throughout all of drum corps history it was not unusual to see two or three corps at the same contest playing a common song. "Stealing," IMO, would be duplicating the Bridgemen strut, or the Cabs rumps, or Sky sig....etc.... and you would pay the price for it as you would be sure to fall short.

I am arguing less the strict definition of plagerization (primarily because I'm not an IP attorney) and more this argument that this practice is/is not creative. How creative would it be if I took pieces of chapters of famous books and put all those pieces back together in a rearranged order? This whether or not I actually had rights to do so.

Mind you, I'm just playing devil's advocate here.

i doubt he means "stole" as in theft...rather it's a corps playing music previously performed (and identified) with another...particularly a jr corps.

Want me to name a name? Sure....Brigs 2003....i remember watching the dvd and hearing 1990 Bd...really!

If you're gonna do something so identified with another corps...do something DIFFERENT with it! GREAT example (same season, in fact)...Renegades' opener...a brilliant combination of charts that sounded like an overture.

And in 06???? Good lord...the open class champs...Bucs! Bolero (Madison) Capriccio Espagnol (SCV) Claire de Lune (Phantom) Scheherezade (SCV).

it's one thing when a small start up like En Garde pulls a chart that's been done before....but it's quite another when it's one of the big boys.

Look again. I'm not getting into a debate of whether its write or wrong. I just didn't agree with what he said!

I would like to know if others agree or disagree with a proposal to discourage plagerization in Drum Corps?

But maybe a law should be implemented that would govern and levy penalties against those who would openly "steal" anotherDrumCorps/Percussion ensemble/Marching Bands ideas.....

No one corps owns ANY of the music that they play on the field, unless they hired someone to write it specifically for them, and it's original. Any corps, regardless of who they are, or when they played what, paid money for the rights to play said music. Really, let's stop whining about who played what, and when. Why don't we focus on our own shows, and stop trying to kick each other in the ###? The point of this activity is to entertain. We compete on the field. I guess when we AREN'T on the field, we try to find ways to compete otherwise.

I will agree with the fact that creative shows are great; but where is the line going to be drawn regarding what is and isn't creative? Will arrangements be frowned upon? Will corps be penalized for using certain combinations of songs? We have a minority of fans in comparison with other types of media. Let's scare them all away because we're worried about not only obtaining the rights to the music to begin with, but then having to worry about someone looming over our heads, deciding what is and isn't creative. We're involved in the activity to have fun.......... right?? <off of :thumbup: > :blink:

Edited by MelloTrump

BLUE ERA!!! BLUE. BLUE. BLUE ERA!!! BAH BAH BAH BLUE ERA!!!

Great performance, great corps... but when I hear it I think of nothing else but a complete rip off of Vanguard 2001 and lack of creatitivity...

and

I am pretty sure this is the exact show that prompted the topic but nobody brought it up.

Again, very well executed show... just taking something so disctinctly someone elses is just kinda wrong to me.

Bolero (Madison)

According to corpsreps, first two corps to use Bolero were Kilties and Westshoremen

Both in 1956....

Couldn't resist as I have Westshores recording from 1956 and their version is totally unlike the 1950s "park and bark" you might expect.

Back to On Topic: Question is, are the arrangements similiar? If so, shame on the lazy arranger.....