Craziest visual ever?

The slow motion crash scene from 89 Garfield.

I also remember watching their show and seeing a soprano tossed 20 or 30 feet in the air during a scatter. I think it was in 90

it was a mello in 90 i believe.

And the craziest thing I ever saw was in the cadets drum break 06, but it wasn't during a show. During the 'jumping' section, this kid did a faceplant into the turf at allentown from 8 feet up when the catchers couldn't handle him. Not gonna lie...it was pretty hilarious...

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SCV all the way. Pants change through the tunnel (86?), whole corps disapears at the end of Phantom of the Opera (89 and/or 88). Any cool magic trick put if for finals night (mid 80s).

I had a human wheelbarrow visual in one of the free-forms in '06. I made it up during a pretty bull**** run when the staff was yelling at us for not being in character or whatnot.

it was a mello in 90 i believe.

And the craziest thing I ever saw was in the cadets drum break 06, but it wasn't during a show. During the 'jumping' section, this kid did a faceplant into the turf at allentown from 8 feet up when the catchers couldn't handle him. Not gonna lie...it was pretty hilarious...

when the cavies did their laying down visual this year, one person missed the catch in michigan city and the kid fell right on his back. i thought that was funny.....i think falling from 8 feet might cross that line though....

The wave at the end of the 2004 Phantom Regiment opener has always been a favorite of mine. It's so simple and jaw-dropping, yet they're the only corps I can recall doing something like this.

yeah true. i freaked out when i saw that on semis night, possibly the most physically affected ive felt from a live drum corps moment. it was a while ago but i still remember how i jumped out of my seat in the upper deck, good for them.

i hopped across 5 or so yards in '04 doing the heisman pose with my mellophone during a scatter form. also had someone else pass out ("drunk") partially on top of me for 20 seconds or so. oh and a contra player beat up a snare drummer. and people threw water everywhere. and for a while during the season, someone in the pit put baby powder on a bass drum and hit it. someone threw a sabre 50 yards over the hornline. "crazy" would be a decent word to describe a lot of it.

Edited by Jared_mello

Some of my favorite craziest visuals,

92 VK as mentioned, that whole show was just wild

94 SCV when the guard is completely switched on the 50 yard line at the end of the show.

98 Les Etoiles Spinning drums, and rolling the pit over the guardline

Magic 98(I think) when the box pops down to reveal the drum major

99 Patriots when they throw the hammer 35 yards or better

2000 Patriots when the girl does the splits on the board, and they raise her up

Vanguard tunnel change

99 and 00 Cavies Diamond Cutter

97 Scouts sword fight on the turning drum sets and the picture from the drum major

Cadets 92 airplane propellers

Negative craziest

12 person pileup in Dubuque from Phantom Regiment(98 or 99-can't remember which)

99 Finals 8 or 9 staff members holding down blowing tarps for Cadets

99 Les Etoiles with the guard on those totally unstable looking beams 15 feet off the ground. It was kind of nerve wracking on quarterfinals, when they followed Patriots who had just unloaded several gallons of water onto the field from the jugs, followed by Les Etoiles guard getting damp feet and then climbing 15 feet in the air.

VK 85(I think) when the 2 girls are running screaming from a little tiny shark, which you can see the string coming out of her uniform to pull it along.

In 2004 at the SCGC (Southeast Colorguard Circuit) finals. A girl for a high school in Marietta named Pope High School got hit in the face with a saber about a minute into the show. The whole crowd gasped. She continued the show with _____ running down her face. The paramedics who were on hand through out the event were at the floor when it ended. The parents of the child held all the other parents, paramedics, show people, from going onto the floor. They knew how much this show meant for the young lady and the other ladies on the floor. Once the show finished the young lady collapsed and the paramedics rushed her off the floor.

That night they whole circuit was on the floor and their guard was announced when they came onto the floor and they were all wearing band-aids on their face so she didn't stand out. They also recognized the young lady and gave her an award.

Don't know if it's been mentioned (and I am prejudiced) but I really liked Jay Murphy's BD "company back" (as opposed to a "company front") in the revised drill for "Channel One Suite" in 2002 - I saw them running it for the first time in rehearsal at the Manning Bowl in Lynn, MA and darn near died laughing.

It's nice to see some wit on the field on occasion.

regards - Jim